Do most scars stretch over time?

Do you guys think that most "average" scars end up stretching over the years and why?

Normal movement over time? heavy lifting too soon after the OP?

It doesn't seem like too many people would disregard the post op instructions but I still see so much talk about revision and scar trouble.

What do you think?

I would love the docs to maybe chime in here with their views.

I honestly believe it's 90% physiology and 10 % post op care.

Obviously the surgeon plays his part but I think if it's in yr make up to stretch then it's going to happen regardless what we do.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

I honestly believe it's 90% physiology and 10 % post op care.

Obviously the surgeon plays his part but I think if it's in yr make up to stretch then it's going to happen regardless what we do.

Thanks irishsailor, Yes it seems to be a combination of laxity pre-surgery, physiology, and luck that determines a stretched scar from a thin one. It really should be made more clear in the industry that a stretched scar is a real possibility and that it depends greatly on the patients healing capacity which is outside of the doctors control.

Its clear here on the site, but every doctor I have asked says his scar will be pencil thin... I'm sure some are, but it seems the back of the head is a not a good place on the body for a scar, and that by going for FUT a person is really taking a big risk because he/she might very well be adding insult to injury and be heading down a long road to scar stretching repair/revision/problems.

For a virgin scalp it really seems like a big (almost reckless) gamble.

Anyone want to convince me that I am wrong? I would love to hear your thoughts.

p.s. I don't want to imply that the good people here on the forum are reckless or uneducated regarding HT's. Just that maybe not enough emphasis is put on the real possibility of scar problems for newbies.

Indeed it should be clearer that a stretched scar is a possibility no matter who the surgeon is. It is one of the dark corners of the hair transplant industry that is glazed over or outright omitted. Reps and surgeons are all too eager to brag about their state of the art dual-layer trico-closure when the scar is thin but then blame physiology when it stretches. Go figure....

Magumpi,

I would have FUE if I was you. I know you have been researching a long time and I think if there are still any doubts about you feeling uncomfortable living with a linear scar on the back of your head, I wouldn't have it.

Every individual is different. It was never an issue for me and still isn't. However, I am not you :)

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Thanks chrisdav, I hope this post didn't seem like I was sort of talking to myself about the different procedures and weighing the options (though in all honesty I suppose I am). :)

But I am also wondering about this topic and looking for some stories from both sides to learn more. Can I ask did you have good laxity? is your scar at all noticeable with short hair? I'm glad yo hear it's been a non-issue for you.

Thanks, M.

No it doesn't. You have been researching for a long time, the best way and I commend you for that.

I am not entirely sure how lax my scalp is. I don't really take my hair down that short but I am guessing around a 3 grade.

In the best case scenario where your potential surgery gave you the hair you craved, would a linear scar still bother you then? What about if your surgery didn't turn out how you wanted, would it still bother you then?

How many grafts have you been quoted approximately so far?

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I don't really take my hair down that short but I am guessing around a 3 grade.
That's pretty short. I don't wear my hair that short either. This is the shortest I ever go (pic attached).

In the best case scenario where your potential surgery gave you the hair you craved, would a linear scar still bother you then?
I suppose only if I could see ridges in the back when my hair is it's shortest. Do you think there would be ANY indication of work done with my hair at this length?

What about if your surgery didn't turn out how you wanted, would it still bother you then?
I suppose I would rather not have a permanent scar if the surgery was subpar.

How many grafts have you been quoted approximately so far?
2500-3000

Thanks chrisdav.

short.png.82457c364443c2f2caa4a91b06e46adf.png

Edited by MAGNUMpi

The chances of your scar being seen with hair that length is pretty minimal after one procedure. The risk comes when you push the boundaries or if you go to a hack doctor. There can also be issues when you get close to being "stripped out" and your density is decreased in the donor area, but this can happen in FUE and FUT when going for a maximum lifetime donor supply.

I think that you hit the nail on the head when you talked about taking a risk. There is risk in both FUT and FUE, in both the recipient and donor. To say that it is a reckless gamble, I would say is really overstating it. The research that you have already done greatly reduces your risk of ending up with a really bad scarring from FUE or FUT. It's really a decision that you have to make based on the research that you have done. Some people are concerned about the scar with FUT and I think that is legitimate if you want the option to shave down to about a grade 2 if things don't turn out your way. This wasn't an option for me so I decided to go with FUT as despite what some will say, reduces the risk of transection and harvesting from areas that may eventually have miniaturization by harvesting too high or too low. If you are really stressed out about having a linear scar, you may want to consider FUE, there is no reason to go into a surgery with a bad taste in your mouth.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The chances of your scar being seen with hair that length is pretty minimal after one procedure. The risk comes when you push the boundaries or if you go to a hack doctor. There can also be issues when you get close to being "stripped out" and your density is decreased in the donor area, but this can happen in FUE and FUT when going for a maximum lifetime donor supply.

Thanks Spanker.

..Maximum lifetime donor supply, a very important number to know and keep in mind.

Some people are concerned about the scar with FUT and I think that is legitimate if you want the option to shave down to about a grade 2 if things don't turn out your way

I dont think Ill ever want to shave down that close. I look terrible with super short hair. Thanks for the input.

Magnum,

I am the same way, not good in short hair styles.

Even after four separate strip procedures, I have one linear scar that does not show because like you, I wear my hair at least three inches long.

I really think you will be fine as long as you go to a reputable proven doctor. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks gillenator/guys,

It's very reassuring to hear this from all of you. Hope I haven't seemed a bit too wavery in my approach. Just trying to get as much info as I can before I take the big jump. Thanks again. M.

what about tightness in scalp? Or permanent scalp numbness? Also no matter what surgery you get are there small scars where the insert the grafts? I play alot of hockey and the helmet would sit right on the suture line which is a concern. I would take 6 months off before I would wear a helmet, but I have a very tight scalp, a small head, and have been told by a reputable dr that I need 3000 grafts. However, thats when he saw me when I had my head shaved to a 0 guard. Since then I've grown my hair out and have decent coverage. How much would 3000 grafts be FUE? I know for Fut it is around 12,000 or more.

I think as long as you don't go to Bosley you will be fine.

The "scars" produced by the top coalition docs are more of pencil thin lines, if even that.

Scalp tightness does exist in the first months but usually goes away.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Caddy,

If you go to a competent talented HT surgeon who is up to date with the most current instrumentation and techniques, the scarring should be minimal unless you have issues with healing.

Your concerns for recipient site scarring are valid yet the best surgeons are using instruments that are the least invasive such as custom sized blading to create the recipient sites. After the epidermis heals, you cannot see or even notice the tiny incision sites that were made for the grafts.

It's when the sites are made larger than the peripheral size of the grafts that pitting can occur. Or the grafts are not dissected to the corresponding size of the recipient sites (incisions) which can be as small as .5 mm. This can produce a cobble stoning effect.

The best doctors employ skilled techs that know what they are doing. They very carefully prepare the grafts microscopically and some also dip the grafts in solutions before placement. That can help deter free radicals while the tissue is out of body and being dissected. Some say it improves graft survival and overall yields.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks guys for taking time out your of day to awnser this. Any info helps? And is true fue is scarless? Or does it leave little white dots. Don't know what i should do. I guess a good strip surgery is just one long line, and fue is thousands of little, white dots. Anybody know the cost of 3000 grafts via fue? I know i've been quoted for 3000 fut grafts as going for around 12,000 bucks.

The "scars" produced by the top coalition docs are more of pencil thin lines, if even that.

Incorrect. No surgeon can predict how a scar will turn out. No surgeon will give a written assurance that a scar will be 1mm or pencil thin. Alot of it has to do with patient physiology and how they heal. I have seen stretched scars from feriduni, feller, shapiro, rahal etc. Chances of a scar stretching are less if you go to a quality doc but make no mistake, it is still quite possible.

Thanks guys for taking time out your of day to awnser this. Any info helps? And is true fue is scarless? Or does it leave little white dots. Don't know what i should do. I guess a good strip surgery is just one long line, and fue is thousands of little, white dots. Anybody know the cost of 3000 grafts via fue? I know i've been quoted for 3000 fut grafts as going for around 12,000 bucks.

Fue is not scarless. It leaves a small white dot behind.generally one can shave down to a grade 1 or 2 with fue while with strip they can shave down to a grade 3 at best providing there is no stretch(again no assurance) there are quality fue docs doing it for 2.5 euro per gradt like Hakan and Erdogan in turkey and their yielx is up there with strip docs.

What about scalp numbness, or something i've heard a little about called scalp stretch back. Thats when during strip if you cut out a piece of flesh and sew it shut, doesn't your hairline recede back a little? What are the chances of having a tight scalp or numbness that last forever? I am new to this game and have never had a hair transplant. Maybe its not for me. I'd rather have a normal feeling in my scalp than more hair. So i am on the fence still.

Maybe i am not ready for a hair transplant. I can't take the risk of having permanent scalp numbness or loss of feeling, tightness of scalp. I know that i want more hair but i'd rather keep my scalp feeling normal. I guess a doctor cannot promise no complications such as these will not happen. With fue the risk might be less. I know fut is better for lager sessions, mainly because of the cheaper price and as some have stated better results thus far. I should educate myself a little more before i make a life changing decision. As spencer says " once your cut, your cut"

What about scalp numbness, or something i've heard a little about called scalp stretch back. Thats when during strip if you cut out a piece of flesh and sew it shut, doesn't your hairline recede back a little? What are the chances of having a tight scalp or numbness that last forever? I am new to this game and have never had a hair transplant. Maybe its not for me. I'd rather have a normal feeling in my scalp than more hair. So i am on the fence still.

I'm about 1.5 years post op with strip and I still get the scalp numbness/itching in the donor... Not sure about the hairline receding with strip, I doubt it. The numbness can last forever but there is no way to tell. If you are worried about the invasive nature and lasting effects of strip, I would go FUE.

I guess a doctor cannot promise no complications such as these will not happen. With fue the risk might be less. I know fut is better for lager sessions, mainly because of the cheaper price and as some have stated better results thus far. I should educate myself a little more before i make a life changing decision.

Right! Take your time. Research for a year or more. No reason to hurry into this. If after a year or so you still desire a HT then proceed. The main key here is research. You'll see the good and bad sides of what a HT has to offer, and be able to make a smart decision then.

Thanks Mickey for your info. Does the sensation bother you? A year and a half is a long time to still be feeling scalp numbness. Are you happy with the results? And what did your Doctor say about the feeling going away ever.

The sensation is definitely annoying but is not apparent all the time. My result was not good at all, especially for strip. My doctor just recalled the contract I signed on the day of the procedure and said "sometimes it happens" when I brought up all the negative aspects of my outcome...

Easy way to resolve all the questions here... don't have FUT!

There really is no need to have FUT anymore. The reasons some surgeons keep practicing this method have been discussed numerous times on here (and glazed over with 'it gets better yield' type statements :rolleyes: ).

Just get FUE, the yield is as good as FUT, ths scarring is less (i have no visible white dots from my FUE), there's no risk of anything stretching and extraction toold are advanced enough now to minimise any transection to levels as low, if not lower than the hands of technicians who cut out grafts from a strip.

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul