Botox and HAIR LOSS?

Just searching the internet I found two forums of patients complaining of losing hair after botox injections. YET, botox does not list hair loss as a side effect. Is there any SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE to back this up or is this a massive coincidence all these people think their botox injections caused hair loss?

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Ironically enough, scalp Botox injections were once tested as a hair loss treatment. I think it just goes to show that the relationship between Botox and hair loss/regrowth it tenuous at best. Frankly, I can't think of any physiology behind losing or gaining hair from Botox injections.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

If botox made your hair fall out, thousands of people would be walking around with no eyebrows!

Also, you don't have botox injected into your scalp and i cant think of a reason why you would.

If anything, it should reduce stress related hair loss as botox reduces stress tension in the head (although they are not allowed to openly promote that, otherwise everyone would have it free on the NHS!!)

I've been having botox for about 3 years and not noticed it effect hairloss at all, just a fresher face and a dramatic reduction in headaches!

Cheers

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

If botox made your hair fall out, thousands of people would be walking around with no eyebrows!

Also, you don't have botox injected into your scalp and i cant think of a reason why you would.

If anything, it should reduce stress related hair loss as botox reduces stress tension in the head (although they are not allowed to openly promote that, otherwise everyone would have it free on the NHS!!)

I've been having botox for about 3 years and not noticed it effect hairloss at all, just a fresher face and a dramatic reduction in headaches!

Cheers

Rob

Rob where do you go for botox? Do you have any before and after pics?

I have it done at a local place in the UK (South Manchester). The woman who does mine has years of experience so knows how to administer it without giving the 'frozen face' look.

It's ok to have that look on a woman but on a man it looks stupid. The art to good botox is to soften all the lines down dramtically, but not freeze all movement.

I also have it in my armpits to stop sweating (until i have an operation to have my sweat glands worked on) and it is very effective!

I haven't really got any before and after pics, but can say that my crows feet, 4 creases on my forehead and frown lines are almost gone.

Regards

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

The only evidence I've seen is anecdotal, but it's at least a hundred people all saying the same thing, that they couldn't explain their sudden hair loss, then it grew back, then they got botox again, then they lost hair same time span and do not believe it's coincidence.

@driver: Did you do botox before your HT or after? And how soon after did you do it? Maybe this has something to do with it.

Hi,

I have had Botox both prior and post HT with no hair loss whatsoever. My hair loss has been very gradual since the age of 18 with no sudden loss after Botox.

I had Botox 1 month after my HT. I was going to have some when in Istanbul but the surgeon said no due to the fluid dispersing down my face from the HT.

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

• 2 months later...

Having treated roughly 1000 people with botox over the last 18 years and having self administered it to myself, also for 18 years, I state that I have never seen botox grow OR kill one single hair.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Just searching the internet I found two forums of patients complaining of losing hair after botox injections. all these people think their botox injections caused hair loss?

This doctor thinks just the opposite and is using Botox as a hair loss remedy.

Botox, the antiwrinkle injection, is being used as a surprise treatment for baldness.

By John Bingham

23 Jun 2009

Dr Simon Ourian, a cosmetic surgeon based in Beverly Hills, California, claimed that he stumbled upon its unexpected powers by accident while treating his mother who was suffering from migraines after having chemotherapy which had made her hair fall out.

Familiar with Botox's use as a headache treatment, he injected the chemical – the medical name for a form of Botulinum toxin – into her scalp but was surprised to find that it also appeared to help her hair to grow back.

He said that he tested his discovery on volunteers for three years, adding a mixture of vitamins to make the process more effective.

"With my patients these Botox vitamin injections for baldness have been very safe and more effective than anything I have seen before," he Dr Ourian.

If his claims are proved in formal scientific trials it could potentially be used as the basis for new treatments for baldness.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

and having self administered it to myself, also for 18 years

Now we know how you stay so young! :D

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 2 weeks later...

There are doctors everywhere who'll say and do anything in pursuit of the almighty dollar. Proceed with caution and skepticism Howdee. If botox really grew hair where injected ALL of my wife's friends would be trying to kill me.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

I am skeptical of this as well...but I don't think that is a good analogy.

Even if this Botox therapy did work it is not going to grow "top of head type hair"

where that type of follicle does not exist like in frown lines on the front of the face.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I've been receiving botox injections every 4-6 months and have also had a successful hair transplant done a year ago (w/ Dr Parsa Mohebi).. I do not see the correlation between botox and hair loss... so don't worry.

Edited by Paulygon

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.