To FUE or to not FUE

I'm a female in my mid-50s considering the FUE procedure. I have had thinning hair for the last 15yrs and have been told I am looking at approx. 1200 grafts.

Based in Australia, I am considering Dr Bhatti in India after hearing good reviews. I am quite nervous as currently wear a piece and understand I will not be able to wear this for at least 3months while the hair grows.

I have been reading about shedding and cobblestones etc and getting a bit worried, as I will be back in Australia and not near my Dr should I have any issues.

I've also read about bio-FUE and not sure about the advantages/disadvantages.

Happy to hear thoughts and any advice is welcome!

Thank you

IMG_3887.jpg.6d167a76c8eaa9e48b7c18a288dffc69.jpg

Curly,

Are you saying,

A) Do I want a strip transplant or an FUE transplant?

OR

B) Do I want an FUE transplant or should I not have a transplant at all?

Assuming Case A

I am a great fan of FUE and I am filthy at the strip industry (call in FUT to make it sound better, cause all FUE is FUT too) for its efforts to destroy so many people's lives since 2000, when in my self-estimed high opinion ( even that doesn't pass spell check) it became obvious that FUE will, and should overtake strip as a means of transferring follicles around the scalp of the follicle challenged.

That said, it put pressure on the strip shops of repute, I.e. Hasson and Wong, to keep lifting their game, not only in the marketing department, but in the robust results which they have produced.

Men need the option to buzz their heads according to social dogma of the past thirty or so years. If you ever think you would like the option to buzz your hair short, their is no doubt about it, you would want an FUE. Don't listen to the 'pencil thin' nonsense. They can't guarantee anything other than pain and worry in that department.

If you would like to dispense with the horrible discomforts that come with strip, both physiological and psychological, then again FUE is the go.

But if you are never, ever, ever, ever going to entertain the idea of cutting your hair, and don't mind the pain and worry that come with the first strip, not to mention the re-visit for seconds (and why not? If you have already butchered the back of your head?) , then it is time to consider the robust growth that strip affords, and the economy (at your heads' expense) that follows.

But, here we must add, these days, I bet FUE from Bhatti is more than competitive with strip from Hasson and Wong, and the results, say, you need 1200 strip, then lets say 1600 FUE would serve you well.

I'm not sure if you are deciding between either FUE or strip or FUE and not proceeding with a hair transplant at all. However if you want FUE as your chosen method I would go for an FUE doctor who has more results online and better word of mouth instead of Bhatti. I really think you will need more than 1,200 grafts for a significant improvement but do not despair as you have many options available to you. There are excellent and cost-effective FUE surgeons out there that charge less than what Doctors in Australia charge for strip. Doctors Hakan(Turkey) and Erdogan(Turkey) charge about 2.5EURO per graft and have experience with larger FUE sessions.

Edited by Mickey85

Yeah.. I wouldn't go to India for an FUE procedure, personally. I would much rather pay the extra money and head to Turkey where they are rolling out incredible results on the daily. You'll spend a little more, but your results will be much, much better.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

I'm a female in my mid-50s considering the FUE procedure. I have had thinning hair for the last 15yrs and have been told I am looking at approx. 1200 grafts.

Based in Australia, I am considering Dr Bhatti in India after hearing good reviews. I am quite nervous as currently wear a piece and understand I will not be able to wear this for at least 3months while the hair grows.

I have been reading about shedding and cobblestones etc and getting a bit worried, as I will be back in Australia and not near my Dr should I have any issues.

I've also read about bio-FUE and not sure about the advantages/disadvantages.

Happy to hear thoughts and any advice is welcome!

Thank you

Here is a good resource on womens hair loss:

Hair Loss in Women: Causes of Female Diffuse Balding | Bernstein Medical

1,200 grafts looks a bit on the low side. I think you may need over 2000.

I've not heard of any female having an FUE procedure which would be pretty pointless in my opinion. Also, are you really prepared to shave most of your hair off?

If you need somewhere close to Australia I'd suggest Dr Pathomvanich as a good starting point.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I think you definitely need more than 1200 grafts. Also I have never seen any women undergo a fue procedure before, as from what I have gathered women have a lower density in the donor region than men, and not being able to shave your head post-op is not an issue for women like it is with men.

I also am confused as to whether you are trying to decide between strip and fue or if you are trying to decide between fue and having a transplant at all. If you are set on fue, then you should follow Mickey85's advice above, just know that you are more than likely going to have to shave most if not all of your head for a fue procedure.

That is true.. The beauty about strip is that you don't have to shave your head. That's another reason why women opt for strip..... It's really not that bad..

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Thank you all for your feedback.

I'm debating weather to get FUE treatment at all. FUT seems a bit too invasive for me. I've tried topical treatments and cover-up and am just sick of wearing a piece (which also gets expensive to replace).

Interesting 1978 Matt and Greatjob, that you say you haven't heard of females having this procedure or it may be pointless - Dr Bhatti told me that he has seen many female patients and also that it is unnecessary to shave the head for women - is this true?

Most of you have said 1200 grafts seems a little low - I have naturally thin hair, but I will get some more opinions to confirm Dr Bhatti's quote and follow up with Dr Pathomvanich as suggested.

I have concerns around the transplanted follicles not sticking and then being left worse than what I was initially.

Is the strip/FUT procedure most common among women? I am also reading the thread for females on this site.

Yeah.. I wouldn't go to India for an FUE procedure, personally. I would much rather pay the extra money and head to Turkey where they are rolling out incredible results on the daily. You'll spend a little more, but your results will be much, much better.

"I would not go to India for an FUE" .....seems to be a strong, generalized statement that would need some data to back it up......Should the HT surgeon's skill, qualifications, past results and patient feedback be used as a benchmark or than the HT surgeon's country?

DarlingBuds FUE's profile photo 

North America Representative and Patient Advisor for:
Dr. Tejinder Bhatti, Darling Buds Hair Transplant Center, Chandigarh, India.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Your transplanted follicles will "stick". Just make sure you go to a good surgeon. If memory serves me, Dr. Path is strip only.

Honestly though, Strip isn't that bad. I felt not a bit of pain throughout the surgery. The worst part is the slight tugg feeling you get while it's healing. But yes, it is sort of not a pleasant feeling to think about.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Thank you all for your feedback.

I'm debating weather to get FUE treatment at all. FUT seems a bit too invasive for me. I've tried topical treatments and cover-up and am just sick of wearing a piece (which also gets expensive to replace).

Interesting 1978 Matt and Greatjob, that you say you haven't heard of females having this procedure or it may be pointless - Dr Bhatti told me that he has seen many female patients and also that it is unnecessary to shave the head for women - is this true?

Most of you have said 1200 grafts seems a little low - I have naturally thin hair, but I will get some more opinions to confirm Dr Bhatti's quote and follow up with Dr Pathomvanich as suggested.

I have concerns around the transplanted follicles not sticking and then being left worse than what I was initially.

Is the strip/FUT procedure most common among women? I am also reading the thread for females on this site.

Here's a good example. I have heard before that sometimes a 2 stage approach is used to minimise shockloss due to the desire not to shave the head, as described in the thread:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/136577-raymond-konior-m-d-2338-grafts-female-pattern-hair-loss-restoration.html

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks - the female patient in that post has a similar hair profile to myself.

I have been reading that PRP or Bio-FUE, adds value alongside to the FUE technique for patients with diffuse hair loss, does anyone have any more information on this?

I have been in touch with Natural Hair Transplant in India, they seem to have lots of clinics in India, and offer Bio-FUE, but there is no info on this site about them. Has anyone heard of them?

I've also written to AK Clinic in Delhi who offer a similar treatment - again, not much info on this site.

So far, I've found this forum really helpful and it has been reassuring to read other people's success stories - I am more conscious about finding the right surgeon and making sure I get the treatment that is right for me.

It is not true that you have to shave your entire head for FUE or even an amount that would be obvious.

Actually, if you have long enough hair and depending on the amount of grafts required (that is, not too many), the doctor can pin back long locks that will not be shaved, then shave in specific areas to extract hair via FUE, and then let the longer locks that were not shaven fall back and cover up the shaven areas.

No one will see the shaven areas.