hair transplants... ouch!?

trippy

hi guys i have my hairtransplant scheduled for this month. I'm really scared :eek: . realistically how much do hair transplants hurt? on a scale of 1-10 how bad would you say the pain of FUT is??.. (1 is stubbing your toe, 5 is breaking a bone, 10 getting a limb or piece of you cut off.) :(

thanks. :o

I think like most things, the pain of a transplant falls on a bell curve. A small percent will have almost no pain post op. Small percent will feel like they are dying, and the vast majority just have some discomfort for a few days in the donor region, which is where I fell in. The procedure itself was absolutely painless for me. Of course I felt the first shot or two, but it just feels like a regular shot, less discomfort than getting blood drawn.

A toe stubbing is worse than any of the pain I felt throughout the entire process. It's more like a dull pain, but the doc gives you some meds to control it. Likely, as far as pain goes, it will not be a memorable experience.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

The needles they stick deep into the donor area and also the shallows ones in the front recipient area are a little painful.

The sensation of them removing the donor area, while not painful, is a little bit unpleasant.

As far as surgeries go though it is not all that bad.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Pain wise it was 1 or 2 out of 10 for me. Just the numbing injections hurt a bit but they aren't that bad at all...........I'd have no issue going through the procedure again.

Personally, I was more concerned with how the final result would be than whether or not I felt pain during the op.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

As everyone's mentioned, the most uncomfortable part was receiving the initial numbing needles (I'd rate it 3 out of 10) but once they had taken effect the rest was plain sailing, after that it was just like visiting the dentist only you have a TV to watch and lunch is served. :) I didn't feel a thing whilst harvesting the donner area, didnt even know they had begun dissecting but they did advise I would hear some cutting noises and that I could zone out with my earphones if i wanted (weird but to me It sounded like sharpening a pencil)

I have had an FUT and FUE. I always felt that FUE would hurt less but no, i remembered clearly my first FUT was less painful.

I cant speak for everyone but the 2nd op, aka FUE, was quite rough..

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

For me it was about the same as going to the dentist and I had mine done in the bad old days of hairtransplantation surgery, before advances were made in pain management and the way they gave the numbing shots. They will give you a valium that helps tremendously and psychologically any pain you feel should be much easier to tolerate, than say going to get a root canal, because you realize that you are doing this voluntarily with the goal of looking and feeling better.

I understand that with the vibrating mechanism during the intitial numbing shots (for strip at least) you feel very little. Dont' work yourself up about it, it really isn't that bad.

i had fue and yes the needles sting a bit but the bit that hurt me the most was if the numbness started to ware off and the dr went in ouch that hurt,but u just let the dr know and they stop it up till numb again just telll them to load u up lol jokin, nah u will be fine and god luck

trippy....my surgery day experience was basically pain-free....but I was comfortably numb with 1.5 mg of a miracle called Xanax. Dr. Wong even stated that he thought I may be the only patient that had snored throughout much of the surgery. I said "oh no"....he said no that was a good thing and showed I was totally relaxed. Post-op there were some instances that could be described as discomfort, but not what I would call "pain". Don't worry as long as you are with a top Doc you should be fine.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

thank you all for the encouraging posts guys it really means a lot to me because it helps me feel more at ease knowing my procedure is coming soon. I just hope all goes well and I am very satisfied with the results Dr. Feller gives me.

Strip transplants (FUT) themselves are pretty painless. FUE takes longer, and there's the odd extraction punch that makes you wonder if the next one might bite. More needles for numbing.

Post - op , FUE is a breeze, whereas with strip, the fun begins, mostly in your bed, as you try to lie in a position that doesn't cause you discomfort physically (pain of the staples) , or psychologically (worrying at every sensation whether you are stretching the scar) . Thankfully, pain killers help. All in all though, op day is no big deal. You can enjoy the Valium!