Dr Rahal FUE, January 2013

I am not really good at writing essays but I thought I should put something and share my experience with Dr Rahal's Clinic.

After Transmed killed about 2000 grafts, took no responsibility for their failure whatsoever and simply started ignoring calls and emails. I will deal with those butchers a bit later but I knew that I had to fix what they have done.

I started searching for new surgeon back in summer 2012. Looking online Dr Rahal was coming-up as one of the best in the field with consistent positive feedbacks. I approached their Clinic in August 2012 and after the reviews and consultations scheduled my surgery at the end of January 2013, 30th of January to be precise.

Evaluations:

After meeting with Dr Rahal's rep. here in the UK it was estimated that I need 2000 grafts to restore my hairline. Because I am blond and my skin ton is pretty fair I wouldn't need more than that. In the meantime I also spoke with few other doctors and their estimations were the pretty much the same.

Payments:

For international patients the easiest way to pay for the surgery is by credit card or bank transfer. Not sure if EU's continental banks are trying to rip off their customers but UK's bank definitely do. If paying by credit/debit card or doing a bank transfer Hight Street Banks in the UK charge 1) oversees transaction fees and 2) currency exchange rate is extremely bad. Hair Transplant is not the cheapest "pleasure". After countless calculations; if I would pay using my bank I would pay on top of the surgery cost about 700 CAD (450 GBP) in fees only. Of course I didn't want to overpay that massively. The other option was to use exchange dealer. Their fees are significantly lower but still I didn't understand why I should be paying more just because I want to send money abroad. Luckily I found the solution that cost me nothing. As an advice for other UK patients needing to pay for something oversees (non GBP currency). There is only one Hight Street Bank in the UK that doesn't charge any oversees transaction fees, that is Metro Bank. In addition to no fees they are opened till 8pm every day (7 days a week) and can issue you with a credit card on the same day you opened the account. Using their Credit Card I saved 700 CAD, I couldn't be happier.

Stay:

In Ottawa I stayed in Brookline Guesthouse. From my experience I believe it much better than staying in a hotel. You get to meet other people, and you feel so much better knowing you are not on your own. And It definitely gives you emotional help especially after the surgery and it's about 400-500m away from the clinic.

Surgery:

This is where it got interesting. I was scheduled to be in the clinic at about 7am. The clinic itself isn't very impressive, if I compare it with Transmed which looked like the state of the (medical) art. Anyway, looks doesn't matter I guess. I met Dr Rahal who evaluated my donor area and my hairline. He confirmed the original plan of 2000 grafts with FUE. Before the surgery we agreed that if I am not suitable for FUE they will proceed with FUT instead. The time for the surgery had come. This is where the first shock was; while already lying on the medical chair I learned that the extractions are not entirely performed by Dr Rahal but also head technician. I literally freaked out and they brought Dr Rahal to explain me the process. As it turns out the extraction is done around 50/50 or 40/60 (at least in my case) by Dr Rahal and head technician - Mike, who is a very nice guy. I was given a pill for relaxing or something and it pretty much nocked me down - I slept almost throughout the surgery. The design of the future hairline (insertion) was done by Dr Rahal and he also coordinated some parts of the actual transplantation. After the extraction Dr Rahal told me something about the graft counts but I didn't pay attention to it because I was too sleepy. The surgery lasted for less than 6 hours, when after the surgery I was sitting with the nurse Dr Rahal came-in and told me that because of my previous surgery they could only extract 1400 grafts. And that killed me. I felt like I was stubbed by an axe. Form that moment I couldn't hear anything, I couldn't think of anything. I was just trying to hold my tears while the world was crushing down under my feet. I rushed back to the Guesthouse and luckily the time was about 3pm local and I could call my family in Europe - that's the only thing that kept me going without collapsing. I thought about many questions that I could ask Dr Rahal. Why he didn't evaluate my donor area properly and didn't suggest doing FUT to get the necessary 2000 grafts? Why, why and why? The next day, I already didn't see the point asking. The surgery is over, I cannot turn back time. There was no point of asking, it would have made thing even worse for me. I guess I just accepted, but did I have a choice?

Post-op recovery

Dr Rahal has very strict instructions. I was provided with the necessary medications, sprays for the recipient area and other necessary belongings. After a week at the Guesthouse it was time to go back home. I could only get 2 weeks off my work so I had to be in the office mid February. While in Canada I several times checked with Mike and nurses if I could start wearing bandana after 2 weeks post-op. I even brought all the bandanas with me to show them. They gave me all clear! I didn't have much scabs, the head looked really good. Just a bit of dried blood from the surgery (no blood post-op). It was really clean. For the next 1.5 month I was wearing bandana (not tight) and only while in the office. In the end or March I finally got my first haircut and didn't need any cover in the office anymore. Because of my skin tone, the redness did not away for about 8 weeks post op. I wasn't worried about it, I know that my skin is sensitive. After the surgery, I had no pain, no zits, nothing. It was all fine expect for that (light) redness for 8 weeks.

3 most post-op.

On May 1st it was 3 month after my surgery. No visible changes since. Because of my previous surgery I have to shave some part of my hairline. Because of this I really cannot evaluate if I have any new growth. I will need to shave all my hair again or accept an ugly hairline for the next 2 months. Shaving all again might be a challenge, haven't decided what to do. But I know that I should make that decision in the coming days. So when I approach 4 months mark I have something to evaluate. I must say however that I am seeing new hair at the end of the temples but I don't know if those are surgery result or also some are from minoxidil.

The concern at this stage is my donor area. It now looks very light and is very noticeable if I have short haircut like I do now...

I will keep updating this post with new pictures after 4 months and so on.

Pre-Op

pre_op2_zps6f80b985.jpg

pre_op1_zps4cab55ca.jpg

donor_area_preop_zps31e5b79e.png

1-3 Days Post Op

1day_post-op_zpsc33a3284.jpg

post_op2_zpsdcc0439e.jpg

2 weeks Post-Op

post_op_2weeks_zps8cb34ddc.jpg

1 month Post-Op

post_op_1month_zps00af619f.jpg

3 moths weeks Post-Op

back_post_op_3months_zps4924bf7b.jpg

hairline_3months_zps3b450344.jpg

front_3months_light_zpsf9fdbc0a.jpg

front_3months_zpsb94776e6.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your experience!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm very sorry to hear that they were not able to extract the number of grafts you had hoped for but I know that Dr. Rahal has a talent for making the most of a small number of grafts. I hope that you get the most impact possible from the 1400 grafts you received.

Please keep us posted!

Edited by TakingThePlunge

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

BJ on the plus side it's looking great for just 3 months. Those 1400 grafts have clearly made a cosmetic difference already, you look like you have only mild recession now and with plenty more growth to come.

I suspect the reason FUT wasn't considered was because your donor is a bit on the thin side as youve mentioned and it may just not be dense enough to conceal a strip scar?! Just a suggestion but you def shouldve discussed it with Rahal, nothing to lose.

Anyhow you didnt and the upside is that your hair is looking really good for just 1400 grafts and only 3 months. Plenty to be positive about. Best of luck. Keep us updated.

so you will get 250 grafts less on eache side wich should not be so bad,do you have a small head?

Yeah, about 250 on each side. I believe I have those 250 on each side from the previous surgery :) so it should make 2000 in the end.

I think I have standard head for the person of my size. It's not big or small, it's just right :)

Btw, I have decided not to shave my head so in one month time I should start seeing if there is any new growth from this surgery and how much.

I suspect the reason FUT wasn't considered was because your donor is a bit on the thin side as youve mentioned and it may just not be dense enough to conceal a strip scar?! Just a suggestion but you def shouldve discussed it with Rahal, nothing to lose.

Before the surgery there was enough hair to cover the scar. Dr Rahal said there is still enough to cover it even after this surgery should I decide to have a 3rd surgery in the future. I don't see how this would be possible looking at my donor area now, if I only grow long hair maybe it will cover...

BJ-

Always nice hearing about others' experiences with Dr. Rahal. I think your hair looks great already, and still a long way to go! Factor in the fact that you have light-colored hair, and you will be pleasantly surprised at what a difference those 1400 grafts will make. I have really dark hair, so even my 4800 grafts don't create the same illusion of density when contrasted with my scalp. Looking forward to seeing more photos and hearing about your progress along the way.

Best,

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Before the surgery there was enough hair to cover the scar. Dr Rahal said there is still enough to cover it even after this surgery should I decide to have a 3rd surgery in the future. I don't see how this would be possible looking at my donor area now, if I only grow long hair maybe it will cover...

I think your post shows precisely why Dr Rahal didnt just perform FUT on you, you obviously have concerns, misgivings about whether it's right for you. Credit to him for that, it's not a decision to be made on the spur of the moment (for most) and good to know that in his opinion you do have the donor to do it in the future if you ever feel you need to and are ready for it.

Again youre in a great positon for just 3 months from the grafts you did get. It already looks to be growing in nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

There has been growth for sure. Your only at 4.5 months. Way too early to get worried. The next two months, the growth should really come in nice.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I agree with Can't Decide. It's quite normal for hair transplant patients to question thir results at this stage but it's just way too early. There is definitely change happening. Give it another couple of months and I'm certain you'll see the bigger changes you're looking for.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

There has been growth for sure. Your only at 4.5 months. Way too early to get worried. The next two months, the growth should really come in nice.

I agree there definitely appears to be growth happening and those pics aren't the best for comparison IMO. A few shots showing the whole hairline, top down etc will be much better at establishing what's going on. Besides things are only starting to happen at 4.5 months.

Are you on any meds/ supplements? If not it could take a little longer to come in.

I agree with you. Seeing your pictures I would also be disappointed. But you have to consider that you still have a long way to go. As others said, Dr. Rahal is an amazing surgeon and I bet you will be very surprised in the end. Tks for sharing and good growth!

An amazing experience (4002 grafts) with Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED Clinic).

One word I have to say "MANUAL" !

BrigetJones, you are not the only one. Check out these two patients, They are similar to you:-

1) http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162401-my-fue-dr-rahal-3000-grafts-large-procedure.html

2) http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164789-sugar-goes-ottawa-my-2822-fue-dr-rahal.html

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I would give it till at least 6 months as you should have seen at least a reasonable improvement by then. If not, then I would be a bit worried.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

definitely wait at least 6 months before getting worry..most people I've seen (including my own 2 procedures) will have near zero growth before 6 months..it really just starts to get noticeable at 6 months..

To clarify, I am not expecting my hairline to be full of hair by 4.5 months and I am not making any conclusions. I did however expect to see some signs of growth by now...

I do use propecia daily and minoxidil not more than 5 times a week (my skin can be sensitive).

• 2 weeks later...

5 months updates.

I won't be uploading pictures this time, if you want to see how it looks like, you can take a look at the picture on Page 2 (June 2013), there is no difference to it.

I was approached by the Dr Rahal's rep (mattj) saying that Dr Rahal will be in London week of July 15 and I should meet him on July 16 to follow-up on my "progress". I still haven't received any confirmation though.