Should I Have To Wait a Year to Receive My Refund?

TygerD

I am close to 9 months and have extremely poor growth on one side of my hairline. Overall the result is unsatisfactory from an artistic standpoint. The angle of the hairs on the side that grew do not hug the skin and do not follow the same alignment as my native hair and there are some doubles placed on one side of my temple making the result look extremely unnatural. I brought this to the attention of the doctor last week and he called the the result "sub-optimal" which in my opinion is a nice way to say "we screwed you up badly".

This particularly clinic has a refund policy because they guarantee a specific percentage of growth. Cool, great so I am due a refund but was told by the doc I would have to wait a year to receive this refund. I was given the option of "free grafts" and free travel but for the life of me I can't give the same clinic two attempts with my head. If it was a matter of density then I could see myself doing so but in retrospect I wasn't treated as a priority on the day of my surgery. In the e-mails the doctor wanted to now seemingly take responsibility and "personally" do my hair transplant next time if I opted for regrafting. This insinuates that he didn't give me the best service while I was there and let someone with lesser ability than him, a tech do my procedure.

I've stepped out of the phase of denial thinking hairs are going to pop up at this stage of the game or I am going to get some unprecedented wave of growth. Perhaps this doctor is in denial however I am at peace and ready to move on to a different surgeon. I don't feel I should be held hostage by this result and stand idle waiting for the inevitable to validate itself even more so with each passing day and month. I want to get this fixed prior to the one year mark, at least a month or two prior. The doctor flaked off from the email dialogue as I pointed this out and told him from a tactical standpoint the summer months are the best time for me to get this taken care of. So do you guys think I am right to expect some type of refund prior to the 1 year mark given these poor results post 9 months and the other anecdotal info provided?

DSC03132.jpg.c2fd7da3571b0c157ee2d9be3bdd796e.jpg

DSC03148.jpg.cff36308755bf72f1df999fc892bb0b5.jpg

DSC05621.jpg.31dd303f99932d4af3979f6fe83b79e5.jpg

DSC05624.jpg.02c5338b3695fc4abcb44633a95bdb91.jpg

Did you pay with a credit card?

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Man, that's really amateurish work judging by the photos.

I would get on the phone to Dr Umar and Dr Diep and schedule corrective work with them.

If you're willing to travel to europe then you can't go wrong with Dr Bisanga and Dr Feriduni.

If it was a poor growth issue then 12 months is reasonable, but looking at those immediate post ops the denisty and alignment looks pretty terrible to me.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I plan on going to Dr Diep this summer. He does great work with African American males. I came out of the womb at 9 months with more hair than this clinic produced at 9 months, very sad.

Some was cash some was card.

You could possibly get an immediate refund from the credit card company if you have it in writing/e-mail/recorded conversation that the doctor agrees it was a poor result.

Just so I am clear when you say the doctor says "you have to wait a year for the refund" are you saying

#1. one year from the date of your surgery which would only be 3 more months?

Or

#2. one year from now which would make it one year and 9 months before you would see the refund?

I plan on going to Dr Diep this summer. He does great work with African American males. I came out of the womb at 9 months with more hair than this clinic produced at 9 months, very sad.

Good that you are keeping your chin up.

Yes and there was a great example Dr Diep posted a few days ago.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

You could possibly get an immediate refund from the credit card company if you have it in writing/e-mail/recorded conversation that the doctor agrees it was a poor result.

Just so I am clear when you say the doctor says "you have to wait a year for the refund" are you saying

#1. one year from the date of your surgery which would only be 3 more months?

Or

#2. one year from now which would make it one year and 9 months before you would see the refund?

The former, being the 1 year from the date of surgery. Given the doctor offered to "personally" do the procedure next time outside of just drawing the hairline and stated this in the e-mail, I feel that he needs to come down from that 12 month window because hypothetically if he did my procedure initially I wouldn't be in this predicament.

Honestly a "one year from date of surgery" refund policy seems pretty reasonable to me. I've seen some guys unhappy at 8-9 months that end up being happy at 12-14 months. Although it's obvious your result is so pathetic that 3 more months isn't going to matter. Maybe he can make an exception and give your refund sooner so you can move on.

Edited by Shampoo

Dr Michael Vories did this?

Why do you grab a random name out of the sky when I have seen no mention of a name or clinic yet?

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

check his profile johnny

Ok, wow. Can the OP clarify that this is the clinic and doc in question?

Also, from reading your description, it appears that the surgeon had no impact on the procedure at all, except for drawing the hairline? Is this accurate?

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

I am not under any gag order but wanted to keep the doctor and clinic anonymous. My main goal is to get my refund and move on amicably without throwing anyone under the bus. I won't insult people's intelligence however. Taking the high road as I want to do doesn't lead you anywhere but into more b.s.

The reason the Doctor says you must wait 1 year is because it takes at least 1 year typically for the HT to fully mature. This is a reasonable request. However, the work you are showing us does not appear to be an ultra-refined, modern HT. I would be concerned if your doc is indeed Vories as he is trying to become a recommended doc here. Can you or the clinic please verify?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

The reason the Doctor says you must wait 1 year is because it takes at least 1 year typically for the HT to fully mature. This is a reasonable request. However, the work you are showing us does not appear to be an ultra-refined, modern HT. I would be concerned if your doc is indeed Vories as he is trying to become a recommended doc here. Can you or the clinic please verify?

He was recommended a few days ago!

Current Regimen:

TygerD,

At 9 months, I too would be concerned with that kind of progress. And while it's possible that you're a slow grower and will see more over the next 3 to 6 months, I suspect you probably won't achieve optimal growth.

That said, it's standard procedure for physicians to suggest patients wait at least a full year before evaluating their results. Since Dr. Vories has offered you a refund and/or free surgery to correct your issues, I do believe his suggestion to wait another 3 months to see if you see any additional growth is reasonable.

I know you didn't reference Dr. Vories in this post but since you've identified him as your physician on your profile, I trust that you will allow him to provide his input on this topic. Thus, I've gone ahead and contacted and invited him to respond to this public topic - although I believe you told me privately that he's already aware of your concerns.

Ultimately, what you choose to do is up to you. But I would suggest giving Dr. Vories the opportunity to make things right for you. While every physician has cases of complications and poor growth, in my opinion, Dr. Vories typically does solid work and truly wants to provide his patients with the very best results.

Best wishes for an optimal outcome and a head of hair that you deserve,

Bill

Because this patient has decided to express his situation in this public forum I am compelled to respond. At the six month mark this patient was satisfied with growth on the left side, and not the right. Unfortunately HRT is not perfect in every case, and when we see unilateral growth like this we take responsibility (even though this could have occurred with poor post-op care). By giving the patient the opportunity to re-graft at no charge, or refund at the one year period. It is apparent that he wants his refund now, and his using this forum to expedite this refund.

I do understand his desire to get this repaired as soon as possible, but I stand my policy of waiting until the year mark.

I shouldn't be surprised by the doctor's stance. This is the same doctor who initially drew a caucasian hairline on me which I had to object to. An extremely high hairline, almost to the level of my original receding hairline yet he still suggested 1200 grafts. Good thing I fell about a 100 grafts shy. I don't have an inexhaustible donor bank. Sequels are usually not better than the original so I'll gladly pass on the free grafts. The promotion "before and after " photos of the lone African American male on the Carolina Hair Surgery website has a poor result so I truly believe this clinic is out of its league when it comes to African American males. Again, that's just my opinion. I'm Exhibit A.

This is the same doctor who had techs perform on me from start to finish while he ran another procedure on the same day. I flew all the way from NY to Charlotte with the impression that Dr Vories would perform my hair transplant. Too late to fly out once you get there. Great bait and switch job.

I grew my hair out during the winter and the growth on one side blended in OK so I was pleased and indicated that at the 6 month mark. But now it's warmer weather. I wear my hair low during the hot months. I have thick hair and gave my self a hair cut recently. When the hair is cut low, it's very apparent that the grafts were not placed properly. I can't even guide the guarded clipper over that area or it'll leave a bald spot because the hairs are not aligned properly. It's like they're on an island of their own. The post op instructions were too simple not to follow and don't believe that has anything to do with this result. Let's blame the fiscal cliff on my poor result while we're at it.

I don't know any doctor who would stand by these results, but when it comes to "policy", this doctor won't budge.

Who did this? That is pretty awful.

Edit: never mind. I see It in your post.

Edit 2: Ok. Sorry, I didn't realize there were several pages to this thread. I have a couple points and a question or two:

1. Your hairline seems way too aggressive, even for an African America. A doctor can only do so much with a given amount of grafts.

2. Most doctors DO NOT offer refunds and only offer free graft replacements. That is good that you went to a doctor that gave that guarantee.

3. That is one of the worst outcomes from a recommended doctor I have ever seen.

4. Was there a different technician on each side planting? It could be that there was a much less skilled technician on that side. The doctor mentioned poor post op care and I seriously doubt that is a case. The fact that one side grew and one didn't in such an even manor points to a technical error.

5. The doctor can stick to one year if he wants to. That is his right, but such a poor result at nine months it is embarrassing for the clinic. Sometimes just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. There is such a minute chance that this will turn into an acceptable result. You are basically walking around disfigured and the doctor seems to be accusing you of being wrong for turning to the forum. That seems a little selfish in this case.

I wish you the best if luck and hope the doctor finds it in his heart to put himself in your shoes and help you move forward in your restoration journey.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

sorry to hear bro. thats some of the worst FUE work ive seen in quite some time. I wud just define that as early plug work.

I would not go back there if THEY were paying me!

doesnt even look like there are any singles up front. but as far as gettn ur money back I would just wait the three months.

thats easily fixable tho. just gonna cost more money and a competent doctor.

Thanks Bill,

I feel that in instances where repair work obviously needs to be such policy holds the patient hostage and is just delaying laiblity for the poor result. This isn't a case of poor density but an overall hack job. I wanted to pursue getting this repaired at the earliest in June or early July. The moment another surgeon touches my head and places new grafts and fixes this mess, the prior doctor can take credit for any cosmetic changes or at the least it may skew the previous result.

TygerD,

At 9 months, I too would be concerned with that kind of progress. And while it's possible that you're a slow grower and will see more over the next 3 to 6 months, I suspect you probably won't achieve optimal growth.

That said, it's standard procedure for physicians to suggest patients wait at least a full year before evaluating their results. Since Dr. Vories has offered you a refund and/or free surgery to correct your issues, I do believe his suggestion to wait another 3 months to see if you see any additional growth is reasonable.

I know you didn't reference Dr. Vories in this post but since you've identified him as your physician on your profile, I trust that you will allow him to provide his input on this topic. Thus, I've gone ahead and contacted and invited him to respond to this public topic - although I believe you told me privately that he's already aware of your concerns.

Ultimately, what you choose to do is up to you. But I would suggest giving Dr. Vories the opportunity to make things right for you. While every physician has cases of complications and poor growth, in my opinion, Dr. Vories typically does solid work and truly wants to provide his patients with the very best results.

Best wishes for an optimal outcome and a head of hair that you deserve,

Bill

TygerD,

While I agree that you have a reason to be unhappy with the outcome of your surgery, I feel that Dr. Vories has been very fair by offering a free procedure or some kind of a refund 1 year after surgery if the results are poor. The fact that he's offering you any kind of refund is highly unusual and by asking you to wait until maturation of your hair transplant, I don't feel that he is holding you hostage at all.

But frankly, I don't like how you handled yourself on this topic. If you wanted to share the details of your experience, you should have done so at the beginning of this topic rather claim you wanted to keep your physian anonymous and pretend you are "taking the high road" simply to garner member input about a refund.

Instead, it appears that it's you holding Dr. Vories hostage by using this forum to coerce him into providing you with a refund before your hair transplant matures. Why else would you disclose all the details you claim you wanted to leave out of it immediately after Dr. Vories responds that he's going to stick to his policy and wait to provide you with a refund? These types of agenda driven posts go against our terms of service and fair forum policy.

Our fair forum policy states:

"If the claims made by the poster do not prove to be genuine or are motivated by any attempt at coercion, we will make a statement to this effect on the topic where the poster has made such claims. Once our community has had an opportunity to view this update and for the public record to be set straight, we then consider archiving the post so that it can no longer be found or read."

While I truly emphathize and sympathize with your circumstances, this forum is not a venue to be used for coercion. Thus, I am locking this topic.

However, you've made some concerning claims about Dr. Vories involvement during your procedure amongst others and I believe the community deserves to hear Dr. Vories side of the story. Thus, I will be emailing Dr. Vories and encourage him to share his input on your recent comments. Assuming that he's obtained all the necessary permissions due to HIPAA, I will go ahead and supply his response. The adult members of the community can then draw their own conclusion about your procedure and result. If you don't provide him with permission as necessary, this topic will be archived out of public view.

I wish you the best in moving on and getting the results you ultimately want and deserve.

Bill