after 10 years of saving for an ht and im not a good candidate

A lot of girls I know love shaved headed man! Go for it man.

:)

600 FUE - 12/07 - Performed by Dr. Umar of Redondo Beach, CA

*****300 leg hair FUE implanted 7/12 to the eyebrows - 150 each eyebrow. Performed by Dr. Umar.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe....therapy costs a lot though. If all else fails, I'll look into it.

Doesn't cost nearly as much as a hair transplant. Plus insurance often covers part of it. #justsayin Good luck in your next steps.

Sam Spade

View my HT photo album

Very satisfied customer of Dr. Konior, Chicago

FUT, 3950 grafts, June 2012

Message me if you have any questions regarding my experience or Dr. K.

Hey have you ever thought about using concealer? I think some could really help you out. I think you should experiment with other options for your hair loss such as dut and minox. Also, if you're so inclined, you could try the experimental stuff like RU58841 or Ramatroban etc. The way I see it is, if you're not going to do an HT, you may as well throw the kitchen sink at it.

I feel for you man. Although my doctor didn't tell me that I wasn't a great candidate for a HT, I sometimes feel that I am not a very good one.

I very much relate to your story. Throughout the last 6 years, the only thing I really think about is how bad my hair looks and how it has impacted my social social life and even more so, my dating life.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

@nick153452 yeah it definitely sucks. It sucks more now that I know I wasted all these years just to be in the same position. I could of had a better buzzed down look earlier and worked my way to the present and still had a social life. Probably would of been in a better place right now.

Yeah. I agree. But if you think about it, you don't have to worry about it anymore. I have a hair transplant next week and that's just the start of my road. I'm going to get balder, I'm going to need more hair, I'm going to have to spend even more money in the future. Plus, my results aren't ever going to yield 100% satisfaction unless a miracle cure comes out within the next 15-20 years.

If you really want, you can go for a micropigmentation. I know you said that you didn't want to do that, but maybe you can try a temporary one. I was talking to Dr Ron Shapiro last week and he told me that Shapiro Medical Group just started offering micropigmentations that last about a year and a half; maybe that's something that you can look into to see if you like it. As far as it being an illusion, who cares? How many people are going to touch your hair? Most of them will only see it from a distance. It could be a possible socially liberating operation for you.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

I think in 15-20 years there should be something good for hair loss. Probably unlimited donor supply.

As far as micropigmentation. The person who touches it will probably be who I will worry about. I'm talking about in a dating situation. It will be awkward and embarrassing.

Yeah that's a legitimate reason, but, would it be any more embarrassing than how you're feeling now? I was thinking about doing a micropigmentation, But I decided to go ahead and just go ahead with a HT. I have my appointment next Wednesday, so I hope all goes well.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

Yeah. I agree. But if you think about it, you don't have to worry about it anymore. I have a hair transplant next week and that's just the start of my road. I'm going to get balder, I'm going to need more hair, I'm going to have to spend even more money in the future. Plus, my results aren't ever going to yield 100% satisfaction unless a miracle cure comes out within the next 15-20 years.

If you really want, you can go for a micropigmentation. I know you said that you didn't want to do that, but maybe you can try a temporary one. I was talking to Dr Ron Shapiro last week and he told me that Shapiro Medical Group just started offering micropigmentations that last about a year and a half; maybe that's something that you can look into to see if you like it. As far as it being an illusion, who cares? How many people are going to touch your hair? Most of them will only see it from a distance. It could be a possible socially liberating operation for you.

Hi Everyone;

Don't despair if you are looking at solutions as far out as a couple of decades one can expect a quantum leap in hair restoration similar or greater than what took place at the turn of this century. Here is some good reading regarding future treatments. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Future generations are so lucky. A decade is too late for me. If I have the money at that point and it still matters I might do it, but unlikely as it will probably be a fortune and hopefully I wont care anymore.

Future generations are so lucky. A decade is too late for me. If I have the money at that point and it still matters I might do it, but unlikely as it will probably be a fortune and hopefully I wont care anymore.

You'd be surprised how much younger hair makes someone look. Don't lose hope if future treatments become available.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

• 1 month later...

Gomez - From your descriptionin this thread, I thought you were way worse-off than you are based on the pics in the other thread. If you keep up with the Fin and halt your current growth, I don't see why two medium to large HT's wouldn't restore your hairline and some of your density (which isn't even a baddensity, I've seen many guys with worse density after they had HT's).

I don't know who said you "aren't a candidate," but if they can bring a Norwood 4 or 5 back from the brink, then you aren't that bad off at all based on your pics.

My advice? Stay on the Fin and maybe the Nizoral (I dunno about Minoxidil - it creates a dependency so that's sort of a personal choice), and KEEP SAVING. Take a bunch of high-detail pics right now and just store them on your computer. Then take a bunch of similar pics in 6 months. If you're not really any worse-off, then take all your saved dough and go for broke. That is honestly exactly what I would do.

Hope is nowhere near being lost.

I agree with what everyone here says about you looking just fine buddy. Your hair loss isn't that horrific. You have a nicely shaped head for you to just keep that mop really short. I think if you buzzed it down to a 2-guard and rocked that beard (good look for you), you'd look pretty darn good; hair restoration candidate or not. Don't give up hope. I think there will be lots of future options available in the next 5 years, if not sooner......

Also, OtherSyde gives good advice: Stay on the Fin and Nizoral. If you're concerned with loss on your crown.....doesn't hurt to go with Rogaine. I personally dig the foam....and I know it works different for everyone, but it has 100% helped with my regrowth/thickness in the crown area.

Chin up buddy!!

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.

Thanks for the thoughts. Ive been on fin for years now. I probably wouldnt have any hair on top of it wasnt for fin. Im getting used to the thought of my hair gone but not really there yet. I showed a few friends and family with my hair buzzed. My friends were like yea finally man lol. My family thought it was a style choice but didnt really think it was a big deal either.

I think its going to be another 5-10 years for anything viable as far as teatments go. Im staying on fin just to keep my hair from getting to the "horse shoe" look as long as possible. If something worthwile comes along Ill try it, bit im not getting my hopes up and i might not care anymore by then.

Gomez, Blake, aka Future_HT_Doctor, just posted a rather informing and promisingly optimistic comment in another thread that can be found here. Although you may be right that hair transplant treatments may be at a halt for the next few years, there are some promising products that may hit the market. Please, take a look, you won't be sorry that you did.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/170977-dr-nigam-action-plan-pure-hm-2.html

One is found in the link above that hints towards future treatments in hair transplantation. (Comment 14)

Another great post, and one I find to be even more optimistic, is: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171093-hair-cloning.html#post2353363

Happy reading,

Stay positive.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

*74 quadruples.

Non-Surgical Treatments:

• 9 months later...
You seem to have made a decision to not get an HT.. To be blunt, and I am trying to help you here, your biggest problem seems to be you, not your hair or your looks.

I may be getting to this thread late.. but I read the comments and looked your pics.. I agree with Spanker..

And I feel like we haven't been told the whole story regarding H&W's advice to OP. I'm wondering, perhaps H&W told OP that HT is possible but his donor hair would cause his HT not to be optimal compared to someone with full density donor, and then OP's personal issues took that to mean that HE CANNOT GET HT.

OP, you look excellent in your current state... working on the confidence is the route you need to go at this point.. Since your original thread was a year ago, I am wondering, how have you fared?

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

I may be getting to this thread late.. but I read the comments and looked your pics.. I agree with Spanker..

And I feel like we haven't been told the whole story regarding H&W's advice to OP. I'm wondering, perhaps H&W told OP that HT is possible but his donor hair would cause his HT not to be optimal compared to someone with full density donor, and then OP's personal issues took that to mean that HE CANNOT GET HT.

OP, you look excellent in your current state... working on the confidence is the route you need to go at this point.. Since your original thread was a year ago, I am wondering, how have you fared?

It is true that i could of gotten a HT, but the consultant adviced against it because it would not have a great look. Sure they could of transplanted hair but it would just have looked thin and just plain bad. I have low density and thin hair, so it would just have been a waste of money to make me look terrible. The hair around my sides and back is already really see-through and the top would have been a lot worse.

I have since then been slowly getting used to shaving my head. I even showed up to places with friends and family without covering up. I still wear a lot of beanies and hats, but I believe I will move on. It is a surprise to some people that say "oh you shaved, why?" They don't mean it in a bad way... they just don't know how bad my hair is because I never show it and they think I still have a good head of hair for my age. All in all though, it is not a big deal to them.

And as far is women.... I can't really tell yet because I haven't tried, but I'm hoping there is someone who doesn't care. I still feel that women my age will find it to be a turn off. Still not giving up though.

• 3 months later...
I would add liquid minox as well, it's good for hair, and it sort of works like a concealer - at least for me.

for me, minox doesn't act as a concealer at all.. i couldn't imagine applying minox before going out.. it seems to have the opposite effect of what i desire, in that it makes my hair look thin for a couple hours after application.

i usually like volumizing shampoo, toppik and volumizing hair spray.. .sometimes i use past or clay instead of the hair spray because my stylist likes those better.. im a little old school and prefer the spray because driving in my convertible with causes wind to tussle my hair.. but the spray keeps my hair in tact longer and in harsher conditions than paste.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.