Thoughts on hair and concealers

Spanker

Today I realized again how lucky I am to have such a natural look. I saw a gentleman that may or may not have had a transplant that was wearing full concealer. Topik maybe. The guys hair was short and the topik gave a very unnatural "wall" of hair and concealer. I mean solid.

I guess the reason I am mentioning this is to point out that it is way better to be thin and natural, than thick and obvious. I felt like a hypocrite judging the poor guy, but I also felt like I would know better than that too. I guess the point is that a little bit of concealer may be your friend, but a lot is not, and will likely make you and the people around you uncomfortable. Nobody notices a bald guy, but if you are "bad topic comb-over pluggy aggressive ht" guy, or any combination thereof, people will notice.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Very true. I have had quite a few instances where I've put too much on and had to shake it all out in the bathtub. Now, before I start applying it, I say to myself "less is more, less is more.."

I saw a guy on TV who always advises consumers how to save money. To cut a long story short he doesn't have much on top but very obviously uses concealers...in the wrong colour!

He sold his website for about $100m not long ago so I guess he could afford a HT if he wanted.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

My hair is thin but I've personally never been motivated to use concealer other than a couple or experiments with a free sample I obtained from my doc. I know it works wonders for lots of guys and I'm not criticizing that. I just can't be bothered to apply it, don't want the added expense and really don't mind my hair looking thin because it does look natural.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Unfortunately I think concealers always stick out, no matter how sparingly they are used. But I do agree, the key to a more natural look is to use less.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I feel this thread is a little harsh, this guy you mention Spanker is suffering, he may use this to gain his confidence and that's enough for him to leave the house!

Tell me, how do you know if you're that guy when you are that guy?

...know what i mean?

I feel this thread is a little harsh, this guy you mention Spanker is suffering, he may use this to gain his confidence and that's enough for him to leave the house!

Tell me, how do you know if you're that guy when you are that guy?

...know what i mean?

I'd disagree that it's harsh. It's just honest. I felt bad for him and noted that in my post. Also, having had a ht, a little hypocritical as I noted as well.

As for knowing if you're that guy, it just takes a bit of reality. It really isn't hard to grip. I would like to think that I have friends that would set me straight if I made it look that bad as well. If I get to that stage and was not repairable I hope that I would shave my head and hold my head high, instead of going for a super fake look. Or even find a system if I couldn't deal with it, but I don't think a completely fake look is something anyone is going for. The point I was originally making is that a thin look, when natural is way better that a thick chalky look, IMO.

I guess sometimes honesty stings.

In not judging this guy as if he were a bad person, just that I think that it is a mistake to overdo concealers.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Valid points Spanker but i just feel what you've said, a lot of it is, well easier said than done. I would be mortified if someone came clean to me about something i was doing wasn't right in their eyes friend or no friend, i and they (i'm presuming) would be devestated.

Though, we are all different i guess, i just don't want someone presuming that this guy needs a kick in the balls when he may be perfectly happy as he is/with what he's doing.

I've put myself on to concealer recently and i can honestly say it's changed the way i feel about my balding, given me a confidence boost i needed and hope i don't have the look you mention amd for someone to come up and given me a verbal smack in the face.

Anyway, sorry hope i'm not derailing your thread.

Edited by 67mph
grammar

I spray on the front, make my hair into 3 partings and spray into each parting, then do a bit of guess work on the back into some thinner areas.

It makes things so much better but nowhere near to the point where anyone would know. The times I do get the hand mirror and hold it to the back of my head whilst stood infront of a big mirror - I end up there for ages applying it so pedantically over every area that doesn't look 200% thick.

Sometimes it's best to say f**k it.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I spray on the front, make my hair into 3 partings and spray into each parting, then do a bit of guess work on the back into some thinner areas.

It makes things so much better but nowhere near to the point where anyone would know. The times I do get the hand mirror and hold it to the back of my head whilst stood infront of a big mirror - I end up there for ages applying it so pedantically over every area that doesn't look 200% thick.

Sometimes it's best to say f**k it.

I have found that lighting sometimes lies. If Brad Pitt were to take a mirror or camera and look a the top of his head, he would see scalp at times. It may be best to say F is sometimes.

View Spanker's Website

I agree.

The difference between standing directly under a bright light and then a mere foot back away from it is a huge. I go from wanting to cry to thinking "oh, what was I worried about?"

The lights are the devil.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I flunked a job interview because of excessive Toppik. It was on my scalp and some areas were dark and some were light. The interviewer often times was avoiding eye contact. Not sure because of the Toopik or his nature.

I think using the stuff in moderation is key. I use it myself and am lucky that the particular product I use is a bang on match to my own hair colour. There has being times when away too much has came out of the container and I've just had to dust it off and start again.

Used sparingly I think it is a great product in particular for those who are diffuse thinners. Even a small container lasts ages so it wont break the bank. It is hard to detect and gives me that extra little bit of coverage to great effect and ultimately gives me that extra little bit of confidence in my looks...

I think using the stuff in moderation is key. I use it myself and am lucky that the particular product I use is a bang on match to my own hair colour. There has being times when away too much has came out of the container and I've just had to dust it off and start again.

Used sparingly I think it is a great product in particular for those who are diffuse thinners. Even a small container lasts ages so it wont break the bank. It is hard to detect and gives me that extra little bit of coverage to great effect and ultimately gives me that extra little bit of confidence in my looks...

Well said. As long is it is used sparingly to "give you an edge" then the stuff is great. I used to use it and it really helped be get through my late twenties to mid thirties. Good rule of thumb, if you think the same person that sees you with and without the stuff on back to back days and it is obvious to them that something is very different, then your using too much. The only difference in that person's mind should be nothing more than a subconscious, " He is just having a bad hair day compared to yesterday".

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

Well said. As long is it is used sparingly to "give you an edge" then the stuff is great. I used to use it and it really helped be get through my late twenties to mid thirties. Good rule of thumb, if you think the same person that sees you with and without the stuff on back to back days and it is obvious to them that something is very different, then your using too much. The only difference in that person's mind should be nothing more than a subconscious, " He is just having a bad hair day compared to yesterday".

Good rule for concealer.

View Spanker's Website