UK or USA

Ericthered1

Hi all I am sorry if this topic was brought up before but I couldn’t find it. I have decided to get a FUE transplant. I live in the UK and have checked out all the best that are here. I was wondering would it be cheaper to get it done in the states. I will be there this summer to visit my brother so flights are paid for already so would it cost me less to get it done in US?

Thanks for all your help.

There are some good FUE clinics in Europe as well as the US. I would imagine pricing is comparable. If it were my head doing FUE in the states, it would be Shapiro Medical hands down. I heard their FUE pricing is very competative.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

UK region is a great place to look too. You got doctors like Dr. Feriduni, Dr. Bisanga, etc nearby and even some great doctors in Turkey.

But the question is, are you getting motorized FUE or manual fue? You will find more manual fue in Europe vs in USA.

Check out everything. Analyze everything. Study it carefully, make the decision, and Good Luck.

Hi all I am sorry if this topic was brought up before but I couldn’t find it. I have decided to get a FUE transplant. I live in the UK and have checked out all the best that are here. I was wondering would it be cheaper to get it done in the states. I will be there this summer to visit my brother so flights are paid for already so would it cost me less to get it done in US?

Thanks for all your help.

I'm in the UK and wouldn't consider anyone here except Farjo! That's why I'm flying to the US to visit a few Drs.

Cost should not really come into it. Why pay 6 grand for something sub-standard when you can have a great result for 7 grand.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

As a Brit, USA all the way. That's why I went to New York.

Like others have said, there's some excellent surgeons in Europe though...especially for FUE.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Hi OP.....recently enough I had my head set on going the FUE route. From my research, I would more than likely have stuck to Europe. There are very good options in Belgium (Bisanga, Feriduni, Mwamba, Devroye, De Reys), Spain (Lorenzo) and Turkey seem to have some promising results lately. You also have accomplished FUE docs in India and Thailand.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Given that Europe is a stone's throw away from Belgium, Spain and Turkey, for me it would be a no brainer where I would go. I'm not a fan of North American FUE where it is either relegated to minor hairline/temple recession and/or it makes up about a quarter(or less) than the surgeon's practice. Would you rather a surgeon whos does FUE 50% of the time or one that does it 20% of the time? To my knowledge even the most prolific FUE surgeons in North America(sans Umar who is 100% fue and excellent) like Rahal only practice FUE 20-25% of the time. That figure is from Rahal himself in a promotional article. There are physicians who practice FUE exclusively in the US but I would stay away from them(Armani and other surgeon's whose antics and ethics render them un-nameable).

Alot of European physicians have embraced FUE and use it for patients upto Norwood 4. Some more daring physicians like Lorenzo, Erdogan and De Reys treat Norwood 5-6s if they have the donor for it. Turkey has great FUE physicians and the cost is comparable to the North American surgeon's FUT cost!

I'm also a proponent of manual FUE. Basically I see motorized as being a way to harvest more grafts in a shorter amount of time. Now think about that for a second. They are extracting more grafts, not in the same amount of time, but in LESS time. The affect is twofold. I see that as rushing and while economical, is not the way I want my grafts extracted. That's just my opinion, there are Doctors like Dr. Hakan and Mwamba(who uses both motorized and manual) that claim it doesn't affect yield if you know the factors behind it.

That's my advice to you. What you do with it is entirely up to you.

Hello all, thank you all so much for detailed responses, I appreciate it a friend of mine recommended this forum saying there is a lot of support and nice people here I believed him but didn’t expect this much. Would just like to say thanks to all.

Ok so I looked at your responses, the reason I didn’t look to main land europe was the fact that I am already going to the states in the summer. Some people mentioned about costs “pay extra ?1000 for better service” etc but I am not a rich man by any means. I have been saving for a car and thought if I buy a cheap crappy car I may be able to get this done. To some people ?5000-7000 may not be too much but for myself this is a lot of money, hence the reason I was looking to find best deal, and again hence my reluctance to buy more flights to go to Turkey or Belgium.

I am going to New York but we had planned to drive and tour the country so I thought if there was somewhere we could drive to from New York I could go there.

I have also considered scalp pigmentation how is that viewed on here, cheaper but I don’t really like buzz cut look.

If money is an issue I would not go with a compromised hair transplant just to save finances. That is a general rule, nothing against specific surgeons in certain regions but if money is a factor in preventing you from going to a top FUE surgeon, don't settle for less.... FUE surgeons are not all equal just like FUT surgeons are not all equal. I can see the appeal of doing the procedure in the US but I advise against it unless you are certain the doctor you want is located there. Let the Doctor of choice dictate the trip, not the other way around. Best of luck.

Ok so I looked at your responses, the reason I didn’t look to main land europe was the fact that I am already going to the states in the summer. Some people mentioned about costs “pay extra ?1000 for better service” etc but I am not a rich man by any means.

What i meant was that if you have 6000 and need 7000 then you wait another 6 months, and save the extra.

Remember, a HT is not as simple as it seems. You need a doc who really knows how to get a natural result through graft placement, angling the grafts, densities..

What i meant was that if you have 6000 and need 7000 then you wait another 6 months, and save the extra.

Remember, a HT is not as simple as it seems. You need a doc who really knows how to get a natural result through graft placement, angling the grafts, densities..

Ok, yeah I know what your saying now. I suppose more research from my end needed. I’ve decided to get in touch with clinics in the US to get prices and info on Dr etc.

I will also look in the UK, I would rather here as if there is any problem it will be easy to go and see the Dr. again where as if any problems and I have to fly trans atlantic I wouldn’t be impressed.

As for Turkey I am a bit cagey, if they were in the EU I would have no problems I am just a bit sceptical, different people I know went on holidays there and from just talking to people it doesn’t seem like a place I would put my trust in. No offence intended to anyone from there, but if you don’t have toilets that flush...no trust from me.;)

Will look at Belgium + Spain, Belgium would be better as it is closer, how about other european countries, Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, Ireland, I would be willing to travel to there.

Thanks again for your help + info everyone.

Will look at Belgium + Spain, Belgium would be better as it is closer, how about other european countries, Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, Ireland, I would be willing to travel to there.

Thanks again for your help + info everyone.

I'm from Ireland and I'm going to Belgium next month to meet all the top docs. There is one good clinic in Ireland but the prices are CRAZY so rule that out straight away (almost 4 times the price of other world class clinics).

If I was in your shoes mate, I'd get consultations in the US like you said, but I would definitely get some for Belgium too. Look how close and cheap it is from a travel point of view! If there were problems, something could be quickly sorted in a weekend visit etc.

I'm pretty sure, once you've compiled a list of FUE clinics in US and Europe (I'm currently doing the same), you'll find that Europe will come in considerably cheaper, particularly for mega sessions of 2,000 +.

2,200 FUE + PRP with Dr Bisanga - BHR Clinic, 22-23 August 2013 - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171950-my-fue-2-200-prp-dr-bisanga-bhr-clinic.html

Current Regimen:

- Rogaine 5% Foam 2x daily

- Jasons Restorative Biotin Shampoo 2x daily / Nizoral 2% 2x weekly

- Nettle Root 500mg, MSM 1500mg, Biotin 5mg, Multi Vit, Omega 3

Good luck with it.

Rooney had his done at the Harley St Hair Clinic. However, as most people say there is not much post operative evidence out there showing consistent results from the clinic.

Farjo prefers strip method. I can't recall ever seeing a large FUE session result.

Bisanga - currently being considered for recommendation, has numerous quality examples.

Feriduni - recommended by many.

De Reys - used to run the Pro Hair clinic in Belgium and now runs a small FUE practice.

Devroye - I don't know much about him except he trained with some great clinics.

Hair Restoration Blackrock - they did James Nesbit's hair. Very expensive at 10Euros a graft.

Thanks to everyone for your help, I’m gonna arrange a number of consultations when I’m in the states I’m also gonna research EU clinics perhaps not jump into this like I was planning but wait another 6 months as suggested and with the extra money I can save + my research I should get a good HT. Still crossing fingers I can get it done here or close to here. In North west so if there was a decent place in Manchester, Scotland, N.Ireland or Ireland would be handy too. I saw that HRBR mentioned in dublin but there is no chance I’m paying that it would cost me between €25,000 to €30,000.

I do not want strip so no farjo for me.