Failed scar repair

So I had 500 beard hairs fue into my scar 12 months ago.and it's been a complete falure.It was an 18 hour procedure which was very painfull the doctor bent several needles when trying to penetrate my scar.The grafts were out of my body for 15 hours.here I am a year later and my scar is the same as before.Do you think the time out of the body was too long for the grafts to survive?I tried to ask this question to the Dr but she said grafts can survive up to 24 hours..I emailed this doctor a few times and she won't reply.

Grafts survival rates do decline the longer they are out of body. It has been shown that a graft can survive up to 24 hours. However, those studies had the grafts in refrigerated saline dishes. I wonder if the doctor is getting your email because not responding to them is no way to treat a patient. Even if the results are not great. Grafting into scars is always difficult and very unpredictable.

Why the heck would 500 grafts take 18 hours?!?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hi arron1134,The reason it took 18 hours was the doctor was a 1person show.no assistants at all.I started surgery at 9 in the morning I didn't get out until 5.30 the next morning.My girlfriend thought i was having an affair so the doctor wrote a letter telling her where I had been.

Hi arron1134,The reason it took 18 hours was the doctor was a 1person show.no assistants at all.I started surgery at 9 in the morning I didn't get out until 5.30 the next morning.My girlfriend thought i was having an affair so the doctor wrote a letter telling her where I had been.

That is one bizarre story and really disconcerting to hear. It sadly sounds as if this doctor was in over her head and was winging it. Post some pics if you want so we can see what is going on.

That's certainly a strange experience. It needn't be painful, I doubt it's normal for the needle to break and the length of time it took sounds like your doctor was simultaneously competing in a chess tournament nearby. Can you post the letter your doctor wrote to your girlfriend please!?

From what Dr Charles has said I'm worried about the effectiveness of grafting into my scar. Damn my scar is a mess at the back and sides, I don't know what to do.

Edited by LondonHTseeker

I'd rather not post any photos online.I decided to have a scar revision with dr Rahal later on this year.My girlfriend ripped up the letter when I got home from the surgery.I suppose the main thing I learnt is dont be afraid to travel os to the best doctors in the world.Im from Australia so there isn't much choice down here.and make sure the doctor has some help because fue is very difficult for just 1 person to perform.

I'd rather not post any photos online.I decided to have a scar revision with dr Rahal later on this year.My girlfriend ripped up the letter when I got home from the surgery.I suppose the main thing I learnt is dont be afraid to travel os to the best doctors in the world.Im from Australia so there isn't much choice down here.and make sure the doctor has some help because fue is very difficult for just 1 person to perform.

Totally understandable. Best of luck with Doc Rahal I hope it turns out well for you, he is among the best in the field. You should mention the name the Dr. who did this very strange procedure so that others can steer clear.

Thanks for your support staggerlee,it means alot to me just knowing I have a few friends out there..Im not sure if I'm allowed to name the doctor but I will say this doctor is not part of the coalitions recommended doctors..

Thanks for your support staggerlee,it means alot to me just knowing I have a few friends out there..Im not sure if I'm allowed to name the doctor but I will say this doctor is not part of the coalitions recommended doctors..

...Why wouldn't you be allowed to tell anyone who did an operation on you? I've never heard of such a thing. Sounds like she did a number on you, anyway; I wouldn't protect someone who stuck it to me like that, and I certainly wouldn't feed her other hapless young people to butcher by keeping her gross inadequacies a secret for her.

Otherside,yes your right i should name the doctor because Im out of pocket and have notgot a satisfactory result at all..The doctors name is Angela woods Campbell in Sydney Australia.She didnt even turn up the day I had booked my surgery I had to go home and come back the next day.she said she lost her keys to the front door.

Otherside,yes your right i should name the doctor because Im out of pocket and have notgot a satisfactory result at all..The doctors name is Angela woods Campbell in Sydney Australia.She didnt even turn up the day I had booked my surgery I had to go home and come back the next day.she said she lost her keys to the front door.

The story keeps getting weirder and weirder... she lost her keys to her office and was a no show on the day of your procedure? I have to say this Doc sounds like a complete train wreck and you are doing a service to your fellow Aussies by letting them know to stay away.

We all live and learn, I went through 2 poor procedures and if I had been giving any type of heads up about the Doc's I chose it would have saved me a LOT of grief. Good man for sharing your experience. Thank God she wasn't working on your hairline or the front of your head.

Yes thanks for the support.I just wanted to let every Aussie know that do t even bother with Australian doctors.I have had the mid fortune of dealing with 2 of them and believe me they are at least 5 years behind the rest of the world.Do your homework and travel to the best surgeons.

Any reason why they didn't use scalp hair into the scar?

Did they inform you that body hair into a scar is more variable?

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Apparently beard hair is more robust than scalp hair.I had a choice of beard hair or scalp hair.Im so glad I went with beard hair cos It would have been a shame to waste good hair grafts on a scar repair that didnt work..

Apparently beard hair is more robust than scalp hair.I had a choice of beard hair or scalp hair.Im so glad I went with beard hair cos It would have been a shame to waste good hair grafts on a scar repair that didnt work..

Well your previous experience sucks, and I definitey feel your pain - I think we all do. But you're right that it could have been much worse if she'd mangled your scalp (God only knows what kind of horrible scar she would have left) and wasted hundreds upon hundreds of donor grafts, so she got your money but not your future.

And now her name is out on the net; if her past record denies her even one patient (although it will probably be more than that), you can feel vindicated that she lost out on at least as much money as she charged you, as a direct result of her having done you wrong. Maybe she's not even a bad person, but making promises to patients and working on other peoples' bodies in such a permanent manner is a huge responsibility, and as a "doctor" she should have her sh!+ together a lot better before making promises she can't keep, charging patients big bucks, with no risk to herself and a lot of risk to her patients.

Also, you can at least rest easy in knowing that if you pick one of the popular Coalition surgeons on this board, the clouds of your past woes will quickly evaporate to reveal the beaming sunlight of success. It's practically a guarantee.

You should be thankful that your face (beard area) isn't full of white dot scars. I'm surprised she gave you the option for beard or scalp hairs when it sounds like she didn't have a clue about extracting or planting the grafts. Sorry to hear about your experience.

• 11 months later...

Had the grafts grown, On your story alone I dont think this doc is bad on a clinical level. The unmentionable pair of siblings from Sydney might be somewhat unique and outcast from the community of HT, but they are also pioneers in BHT and have been doing it for longrr than any of the coalition docs. That several needles broke in your scar is not a bad thing necessarily. I would rather a fine guage instrument break on my body than a heavy guage one break my body, if u get my drift.

But the medical suspension prior to the poor garbage disposal is unfortunately the black mark. Obviously, I wouldnt recommend her on that basis. Unfortunate story for all.

Ive always said u shouldnt say who did ue wiek on this forum, even if it is bad, becauae u stand to lose more than u gain, but here is a tale tjat needs to be told.

I recommend peemanaNT smp in the scars, start with light tones and move from thwre.

good luck

Edited by scar5

Oh my God, what an absolute nightmare! A hair transplant clinic just routinely passing out HIV to everyone like candy, completely unwatched and unregulated, for months and months (years even..?). That is terrifying. Thank God they got shut the hell down! Those people should be in prison for all the lives they've ruined. They knew better, as medical professionals, although professionals might be a slight (or slightly insane) overstatement.