SMP Question for Spex, Jotronic or Janna

It is my understanding that HIS Hair Clinic and Dr. Rassman's methods both supposedly allow for the "safe" laser removal of the pigments should a patient become dissatisfied with his/her SMP result.

Do either of you have any knowledge about whether Ms. Lardi's SMP technique allows for laser removal of the pigments, or would a "potentially" dissatisfied patient have to wait two (2) years for Ms. Lardi's pigments to fade completely?

Put differently, if a patient decided down the road to stop "touching up" the SMP, could he or she simply have the pigments removed with a laser procedure?

Any information regarding the hypothetical option to safely and prematurely remove Ms. Lardi's pigments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The short answer is yes, you can get Milena's temporary ink lasered off if you absolutely hated the look. I have to warn you that the process for laser ink removal is very painful.

I forgot to add that it's much easier for the laser to remove Milena's temporary ink because the ink is set in more superficially than permanent ink. We've been following a patient who had the permanent ink that turned blue almost right away so he started the process of having it lasered off. 4 laser treatments later, the blueness on his scalp is much less noticeable.

We've been following a patient who had the permanent ink that turned blue almost right away so he started the process of having it lasered off.

Yikes! :eek:

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

In addition to the pain factor, as I understand it, if the wavelength of the laser is not just right it can cause scarring as well not to mention hair damage. I'm not positive about this but overall laser removal of SMP is not something I would look forward to.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

@Janna Are you at liberty to say who did the SMP on the patient that has had four (4) laser treatments? I believe HIS Hair Clinic has had patients remove the ink in only 1-2 laser sessions.

@Jotronic Does laser removal really have the potential to damage hair follicles? It is my understanding that the hair follicles are at a depth of 2-3 mm. SMP is inserted at 1 mm or less, right?

@Janna @Jotronic How many laser sessions does Milena state are needed to remove her pigments if someone does not like the SMP look?

Thanks again!

Nothing wrong with asking questions, so don't take offense, but I can't see why anyone would want to go through the pain and expense of lasering-off temporary SMP, especially Milena's work. She's really quite good. It's not permanent and will eventually fade to nothing without having to do a thing.

@Janna Are you at liberty to say who did the SMP on the patient that has had four (4) laser treatments? I believe HIS Hair Clinic has had patients remove the ink in only 1-2 laser sessions.

@Janna @Jotronic How many laser sessions does Milena state are needed to remove her pigments if someone does not like the SMP look?

Thanks again!

No, I'm not at liberty to state who did the permanent smp, sorry.

When we asked Milena about laser removal, she said she did not know of any who needed to remove her pigments. Dr. Ron said that since the temporary ink needle is inserted more shallow than permanent ink, it's removed faster and easier. The laser pinpoints the ink color to laser it out.

I agree with Zenmunk. I really don't believe anyone will feel the need to laser the temporary ink out. If anything, they'll want it darker or perhaps feel that it fades sooner than they'd like.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am considering trying SMP to camouflage a strip scar. I called a few clinics and they seem to have different protocols concerning local anesthesia. Some use a topical cream , some give you an injection similar to what you get for a HT procedure, some say you don't need anything (which I doubt). I have two questions;

1) is this procedure painful and what is recommended in terms of anesthetics ? if the pain is reduced to a minim will that prevent surrounding hair shock loss ?

2) Does applying minoxidil after the procedure prevent potential hair shock loss ?

Thanks

It would make sense to go in via FUE first - ascertain the result of the FUE and then after and only after 12-18 months go in via SMP to further improve.

Spex, I did 340 FUE into the scar about year ago with moderate growth . I am told that it usually takes two sessions into a scar to get good coverage. would there be any contraindication to do SMP before to get some coverage of the scar and do beard FUE into the scar afterwards ?

Theses scars ar a significant problem as you get older and your rim hair thins.

• 2 months later...

HI Spex,

Could you explain to me how MLs tecnnique differs from HIS? I need to get this done to cover up loads of large punch scars but i'm really undecided with who to go to out of these two.

His technique seems to last longer but is it because they go deeper and use different inks.

On the other hand MLs work may be very expensive in the long run as it would need to be redone more often.

Having had a bad experience with so called semi tattooing years ago (wich turned blue and spread,and is still there after maybe 15 years or more) although only a small area at back of head.

the main things stopping me is

1) spiralling costs if multiple sessions on scars needed due to ink not taking.

2) colour turning blue/green.

3) colour spread.

Some of the HIS work does sometimes look slightly bluish although it just be the dark examples and poor quality pictures.

HIS are very open about things and show lots of examples ML seems to be lacking in examples. I also asked her similar questions to these,over a mnth ago on this forum, and she still hasn't got back to me.

This is the sort of thing that can reall put perspective clients off. Especially people like me that have really had loads of problems caused by dodgy HT people.