Focused Hairline: Dr. Carlos K. Wesley (1365 grafts)

While not every patient is a candidate for this approach, this 46-year-old patient received a smaller, focused session to reinforce his temporal recessions. Using only 1365 grafts to add density specifically to these areas (and partially into surrounding areas of future loss), this patient, and others like him, may save not only donor hair for the future but also the financial cost of a larger session.

Specific criteria should be met to make this focused approach a viable option: adequate donor density, ample density in the areas not being treated, and a prognosis of only moderate MPB (that can be effectively treated in the future, based on donor availability). This focused approach, in which the area of greatest cosmetic importance is addressed, is much more commonly used in female patients (with FPHL) who may not have subsequent thinning to the same degree as some young men.

5b32d6670e5d4_LB_HairlineBefore.jpg.1fc0f72275dee20e5627db05340ca2ea.jpg

5b32d66733187_LB_HairlineAfter.jpg.8021a9886beec73927d25da84134fec1.jpg

5b32d6674e672_LB_LeftAngledBefore.jpg.54fc4dbff58a8d70d1b474df12b25b35.jpg

5b32d66768789_LB_LeftAngledAfter.jpg.40a59e533d5f90849b37592451a68ea2.jpg

5b32d6677eec6_LB_RightAngledBefore.jpg.318ddc647e1de6498d74103db5d99c2b.jpg

5b32d667a30db_LB_RightAngledAfter.jpg.84bf055a243249946b07ff5be7b4a3a9.jpg

Excellent transformation! Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Very nice doc.

Would you recommend saving scalp donor hair and using some body hair away from the hairline to achieve this same type of result?

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

Thanks for all of your comments.

@Shyguy, because this patient has such great donor reserve for his age (almost 50), his donor-to-recipient ratio (the number of scalp donor follicles he'll have to treat the anticipated areas of hair loss in the future) probably won't require more than what he has "in the bank", so to speak (what's available in his scalp safe donor).

However, I do think that the use of body hair is a reasonable option in patients with a more limited scalp donor hair follicle reserve. Ideally, the initial recipient pattern creation would account for how many 'permanent' donor hair follicles the patient is destined to have over his or her lifetime. Perhaps this has earned me the label of "conservative", but it is certainly important to not use all of your lifetime available follicles in one area of your scalp without accounting for what you'll likely want in the future.

Thanks for all of your comments.

@Shyguy, because this patient has such great donor reserve for his age (almost 50), his donor-to-recipient ratio (the number of scalp donor follicles he'll have to treat the anticipated areas of hair loss in the future) probably won't require more than what he has "in the bank", so to speak (what's available in his scalp safe donor).

However, I do think that the use of body hair is a reasonable option in patients with a more limited scalp donor hair follicle reserve. Ideally, the initial recipient pattern creation would account for how many 'permanent' donor hair follicles the patient is destined to have over his or her lifetime. Perhaps this has earned me the label of "conservative", but it is certainly important to not use all of your lifetime available follicles in one area of your scalp without accounting for what you'll likely want in the future.

I think the density planted is conservative, but the area planted was pretty aggressive. That said, he is in his mid to late 40's is in pretty good shape. I don't think he will run out either.

Looks good.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.