• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLD the phone!!

You mean FUE causes scaring..... :eek:

lol... that's the rumor....:rolleyes: but I just dont much see much evidence of it.

a few cases here and there but when comparing to FUT I just dont see the evidence to support that like it has for many FUT patients.

there seems to be little or no evidence of widespread scarring from FUE (excluding the old punch technique which really isnt FUE) but not so much from FUT. Ive seen dozens of cases of bad FUT scarring over the years on this forum but only a few cases from FUE.

Im sure there are more cases of poor FUE scarring but very few cases to support that as a whole.

and the whole FUT will yield more grafts then FUE is simply not true when you consider one has their entire body and facial hair to select from. and im seeing mant FUE doctors performing large FUE sessions these days of 3500-4000 grafts with little evidence of scarring.

of course BHT's are more expensive and for most will not yield the same results but some of us have ample body hair that mirrors our head and beard hair so they can essentially complete a HT in a few days when being able to harvest from areas other then their head vs. having to return to have their scalp opened up from ear to ear again.

if were referring to a US doctors or Canadian doctors or ones from Europe then the price is out of reach for most if body hairs will make up maybe half of their transplanted hairs but if were talking about India doctors and their pricing that is simply not the case and lets face it Indian doctors have been producing some of the best FUE results I have seen lately.

Alot of the fue scarring can actually look worse because of the missing follicles. Not aaying you wont get tiny dot scarring from fue but the cosmetic impact of it is much less than that of even a good fut scar. It also allows for more hairstyles and shorter hairstyles. Not a fan of body or beardhair though. I personally believe that if you dont have enough scalp hair to give you the results you want, dont go through with a ht. But alot of people just want decent coverage and dont mind which is totallt fine.

Alot of the fue scarring can actually look worse because of the missing follicles. Not aaying you wont get tiny dot scarring from fue but the cosmetic impact of it is much less than that of even a good fut scar. It also allows for more hairstyles and shorter hairstyles. Not a fan of body or beardhair though. I personally believe that if you dont have enough scalp hair to give you the results you want, dont go through with a ht. But alot of people just want decent coverage and dont mind which is totallt fine.
the evidence just doesnt support ur opinion. there are FUE doctors that repair FUT scars on a monthly basis.

and not to mention bad FUE scars are often confused with bad "Punch" scars. two totally different techniques. I have seen a few of these patients over the last decade in person and it was obvious to me that they were punch scars and not FUE scars which to the untrained eye could appear as FUE scars.

if FUT is done correctly there is still evidence of an scar when the hair is cut short. when FUE is done correctly one can cut their hair all the way to a 1 with virtually no evidence of scarring.

im still waiting for all the bad FUE scarring pics that people talk about. im sure there are numerous cases out there but to say FUE scars look worse then FUT scars is simply non the case.

but, FUT has been around much longer then FUE so obviously there will be more bad FUT scar patients cause there have simply been more FUT hair transplants performed vs. FUE.

it has also been shown that body hair takes on the characteristics of head hair after transplanted into the scalp.

but, if ones body hair is really light then facial hair is the only option unless underarm hair or pubic hair is used and im still on the fence about doing FUE from beard hair due to possible scarring that cannot be hidden. but, I have yet to see one bad FUE beard case. im sure they exist but have yet to see anyone post a photo.

we know that there have been numerous successful cases of hairs taken from the beard in excess of 1000-2000 grafts with no signs of scarring. do you think a doctor could take 1000-2000 beard hairs from ur face using FUT and NOT cause a noticible scar?:confused: that would be extremely unlikely would it not?:cool:

its not different on the scalp other then the fact that ones hair may be grown out to hide the scar but the scalp tends to scar easier then the face.

if one wants to cut their hair very short a properly done FUE is the only real choice other than HM or stem cells or whatever cutting edge procedures comes out over the next few years.

when HM is perfected and readily available like FUE is today one could always multiply hairs and place them in the areas removed where a scar exists from an FUE procedure AND give you more coverage back there. a long way out but possible.

Gnx1 i am a believer that fue is superior to fue in terms of scar visiblity. Not sure where you got the idea that i wasnt. Fut is outdated now in my opinion.

Edit i see where i may have cause confusion. I said that fue 'scarring' is still less visible than the best fut scar. We share the same opinion.

Even if shaved to a zero guard, an fut scar is going to be more noticeable than fue scarring.

I cant post links but type in 'injerto capilar' into youtube and they have vids titled 'can i shave my head aftrr fue' when they shave down previously operated patients(some having over 5000 grafts) and the scarring is still not as npticeable as fut.

Hey guys,

But can you get more grafts from FUT? If a person wants, lets say 2500 now and might recede later and need another 3000 in the next 10 years, would there be enough without a choppy look using FUE? or should he go for FUT? (on an average person)

Good question Magnum. If your donor supply is good enough, 5000 fue would not result in a choppy look unless you shaved down to grade 1. At a certain number of grafts you will lose the ability to cut your hair very short but still shorter than fut. Have i shown you the videos of patients shaved down to grade zero after 5000 or more fue??

Ho-hum. This whole FUE-scar vs. FUT-scar debate is sooooo 2009. :rolleyes:

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Ho-hum. This whole FUE-scar vs. FUT-scar debate is sooooo 2009. :rolleyes:

And yet here you are bumping a thread in which you have no interest in.

Alot of the fue scarring can actually look worse because of the missing follicles. Not aaying you wont get tiny dot scarring from fue but the cosmetic impact of it is much less than that of even a good fut scar.

if FUT is done correctly there is still evidence of an scar when the hair is cut short. when FUE is done correctly one can cut their hair all the way to a 1 with virtually no evidence of scarring.

I'd have to disagree with above opinions that best strip scars are still worse than fue scars. I've seen some great strip scars that would rival best of the fue scars. Here are some pics to show what I'm referring to.

These patients' scar results came to mind at the top of my head. They'd be able to shave down to a #1 guard - same as fue patients. These patients had approx 3000 grafts. These are just few of the examples of strip scars we're seeing on regular basis.

This patient was about to have another procedure and we couldn't find his scar so we had to take pics with the donor hairs cut.

Slide1-25.jpg

This is a 6 months post op of the scar area.

Slide2-18.jpg

This is Orlhair - the pic shows longer hair because this is his normal hair length but he'd be able to shave to a #1 guard without the scar showing through. His Youtube video will show better the lack of a scar.

Slide3-14.jpg

Another example of invisible scar that we had to take video since the scar wouldn't show up in regular pics.

Edited by Janna

great thanx. thats probably as bad a FUE scarring as I have seen and it still looks far better then even a good healing FUT imo.

the fact is a lot of people just dont have densely packed hair on their head and even tho whoever performed this FUE obviously took too many grafts out too close to one another id bet the majority of the population (untrained FUE eye) would hardly notice this over harvesting.

it would have been nice to see this patient with his hair grown out a little to see the difference of essentially being shaved vs. grown out slightly. and also it would have been nice to have some info on how many grafts were actually taken from this patient.

Hello GNX!;

The nature of the internet is that information accurate, inaccurate, malicious or false can go viral. This information seems to remain on the internet ad infinitum. This is why solid consumer forums like HTN are so valuable. Of course as long as there are doctors who lack skill some patients will have a bad hair transplant no matter the procedure chosen. Like you though I am interested in hearing more facts about the types of devices use in FUE for extraction and whether it was done manually or with a robotic device. Until more of this data is available and of course first hand photo blogs these types of erroneous claims witll be generalized and be out their on the internet. Good surgeons don't usually have this issue. At US Hair Restoration FUE surgeries are still performed with a manual device as a preference. Fortunately the ISHRS has established a FUE Research Committee at their last annual conference. The committe has a solid membership of distinguished hair transplant doctors. I anticipate as others who have spoken to me that as their work progresses more reliable information regarding FUE will be available to the public. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

I'd have to disagree with above opinions that best strip scars are still worse than fue scars. I've seen some great strip scars that would rival best of the fue scars. Here are some pics to show what I'm referring to.

These patients' scar results came to mind at the top of my head. They'd be able to shave down to a #1 guard - same as fue patients. These patients had approx 3000 grafts. These are just few of the examples of strip scars we're seeing on regular basis.

This patient was about to have another procedure and we couldn't find his scar so we had to take pics with the donor hairs cut.

Slide1-25.jpg

This is a 6 months post op of the scar area.

Slide2-18.jpg

This is Orlhair - the pic shows longer hair because this is his normal hair length but he'd be able to shave to a #1 guard without the scar showing through. His Youtube video will show better the lack of a scar.

Slide3-14.jpg

Another example of invisible scar that we had to take video since the scar wouldn't show up in regular pics.

those are great! thanx for sharing. but, FUE scars do not stretch over time like an FUT scar can so although those patients scars look great now over time they CAN stretch. not saying they WILL but can. these paticular pics dont appear as tho they will tho.

at the 6 month mark if FUE scars looks good its not going to get progressively worse like an FUT scar can.

Very impressive Janna. I do think that those examples are exceptions and not the general consensus though. There is always the risk of the scar stretching post op, no doctor can garuntee a pencil thin scar or that the scar wont stretch regardless of technique. Fue does away with this variable and many other drawbacks of fut.

GReat pics Janna,

How would one know if they might end up with such minimal scarring?

Is it all just how a person heals?

Can we look at old scars on our bodies (legs/old scratches/operations etc.) and be able to judge how a HT scar might turn out?

Does it all just come down to scalp laxity?

so many questions.......!

thanks.

Cargo65,

I get a lot of emails and phone calls and many of the people that reach out to me ask me about FUE. I think FUE is fine if one understands the reality of FUE. One of the questions I ask these people is why they are interested in FUE. The answer is the same, because they don't want a strip scar and so they can shave their head as short as they want to. This is logical. I then tell these people to ask the FUE surgeon of their choice if they will guarantee that they will be able to do as they wish, just like they told me, to buzz their hair as short as they wish. To date, no surgeon I'm aware of will guarantee this. Why is this?

I'm not aware of very many (if any) ethical hair transplant doctors that will guarantee a patient anything other than their best effort. Do you know of any FUT doctor that will 100% guarantee in writing (contractually) that their work will yield an imperceptible scar? I'm guessing no.

Cargo65, make no mistake about it, there is nothing misguided about my statement. You simply misunderstood as I was not laying blame on the surgeon. Rather, I was pointing out that this was not from a back room, no name operation. The blame does not go to the surgeon but rather rests solely on the technique.

The point I was poorly attempting to make is that by you saying "....and this was done by a well known FUE doctor..." it seems like a plain attempt to cast doubt on entire FUE transplant technique entirely. In other words, it's like saying "hey guys, look at these poor results, and this is from one of the most well known FUE doctors around. If that's the best he can do, what can you really expect?"

Very impressive Janna. I do think that those examples are exceptions and not the general consensus though. There is always the risk of the scar stretching post op, no doctor can garuntee a pencil thin scar or that the scar wont stretch regardless of technique. Fue does away with this variable and many other drawbacks of fut.

It's not true that these are the exceptions - these are the majority of our strip scar results. The occassional stretched scars are the exception.

I'm with Jotronic on this that no doctor will guarantee that you can shave to a zero guard - whether it's strip or fue procedures.

GReat pics Janna,

How would one know if they might end up with such minimal scarring?

Is it all just how a person heals?

Can we look at old scars on our bodies (legs/old scratches/operations etc.) and be able to judge how a HT scar might turn out?

Does it all just come down to scalp laxity?

so many questions.......!

thanks.

I think it's partly patient's physiology and partly the closure technique used.

I think if you're prone to scarring, then it would be a good indication you'll likely end up with bigger than pencil thin scar despite the best technique used.

Scalp laxity is certainly 1 of the determining factors as you don't want a real tight closure, but again, it's not the only determining factor.

GNX,

While scar stretching can occur, this typically occurs in the first several months after surgery while the donor area is still healing. 6 months to a year after hair transplant surgery, stretching rarely occurs if at all.

Thus, the pictures Janna posted showing donor scars are showing the end result.

Best wishes,

Bill

FUE scars do not stretch over time like an FUT scar can

Can you be more specific as to how long of a period you're referring to when you say "over time"? How long is the danger of the strip scar stretching? Saying "over time" seems very vague.

FUE scars do not stretch over time like an FUT scar can so although those patients scars look great now over time they CAN stretch. not saying they WILL but can.

FUT scars stretching over time (assuming you mean years after the procedure)? lets see the pics.....

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

an FUE scar will look like it will look a couple weeks after surgery. it is what it is.

an FUT patient has to wait months if not longer before they find out what their scar will look like.

I know a guy at work that has a faily small scar but it is certainly more noticable now then it was a year ago. he says the same. its not an inch long but certainly longer then it was after even a few months.

I have a scar on my chest from being stabbed and it stretched out over several years so to say a scar cannot stretch out over a long period of time is simply not so.

its a gamble period. if people want to have their head opened up with a scalpel 7-9 inches long then have sutures placed in the back of their head like a zipper and hope for no noticable scar then that's up to them.

its quite invasive in nature. one can downplay it all they want but ur chance of really bad scaring is way more previlent in "The Gold Standard" which is quite comical imo since you really are "Doing Harm" when you open up someones scalp from ear to ear and suture it back together.

numerous patients have been quite surprised to find that they did NOT get the 'pencil-thin' donor scar that their clinic promised them.

there are no doctors out there that will guarentee a patient a pencil-thin scar cause they know dam well they cant and wont guarentee that.

the last bit of research I did said that 1 out of 50 or 60 strip patients will have problems with their donor scar. those are not very good odds which has made me look towards FUE.

FUE or some form of it will be the "Gold Standard" over the next few years not FUT.

im sure like any surgeon there are better ones then others when it comes to stitching up a wound (and it is a wound) but a doctor will have no way of saying with certainty that the patients scar will be pencil thin. hypertrophic scarring, keloid, skin type, etc.... all play a role.

strip patients get all bent out of shape when these facts are presented. especially the lucky ones who dont have bad scaring. its easy for them to defend it cause they were one of the "Lucky ones". not all of us are willing to bet on "Luck" that our heads will heal properly after being opened up like a can.

and im sure there are many more patients out there with poor scaring but due to their hair growing long we may never see it.

LOL of course Hanson&wong will show us a bad fue scaring because they don't do fue.Just get a good churgen like rahal,feller etc.. and you wont get this.dont forget the guy on the pic receive 3400 grafts thats not a small amount for fue. with your hair clip at a level 1 hides the fue scars. FUT scars is very nasty and even for free I would never get one.