Why no Australian recommended hair physicians?

tommyferdi

I recently started researching recommended physicians on the network to carry out a hair transplant operation. I decided on Dr. Radha and have booked in with her for January but being from Australia I was surprised and disappointed not to see any Australian physicians recommended..

Is Australia behind the 8 ball or has the network not looked into any Australian physicians? Surely there must be at least one physician in the whole country that meets the criteria. Or not?

I doubt I would end up selecting an Australian clinic anyway give the extreme prices over here of $6 - $14 per graft.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering about this myself. There are no recommended surgeons in New Zealand either, which is where I'm from originally.

I recently moved to Australia and decided to look at having a hair transplant. Have been on Minoxidil and Finasteride for over five years (and have just started Nizoral shampoo) but they don't seem to be having much effect. Maybe they've stopped further loss, but the hair ain't growing back.

I have visited National Hair Institute and Ashley & Martin here in Melbourne and both quoted me around $AUD 20,000 for about 3000 grafts. I see neither of those clinics are recommended on this Forum (just the opposite going by some of the posts here).

Having read through the Forum I am wondering if the best option would be to do the "Medical Tourist" thing and see Dr Pathomvanich in Thailand who seems to be regarded as world-class surgeon. Does anyone know what he charges per graft?

Apparently Australian clinics aren't good, same as here in the UK. Not worth the risk in my opinion - better to do research and go to a doctor with a proven renowned record.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

It's worth mentioning that just because there is not a recommended clinic in Australia does not mean there are not doctors in Australia doing state of the art, high quality work, because there is.

The lesson here is RESEARCH. There is no "one stop shopping" on the internet for reaching a conclusion on which doctor is best for you, you need to visit more than one forum to get the complete picture on any doctor.

While the physicians recommended by our community are absolutely among the finest in the world, our recommended list is by no means comprehensive. There are plenty of physicians around the world practicing state of the art follicular unit hair transplantation.

In order to a physician to be recommended by our community, they must agree to participate in our screening process and, frankly, some docs just don't like to open themselves up to that kind of scrutiny by their peers and the members of this community.

I'm not familiar with a lot of clinics in Australia but you may find quality hair restoration physicians there. Just be sure to do your research and ask to meet with real patients in person if possible.

Lot of Australians end up heading to Coalition physician Dr. Pathomvanich in Thailand. Not too far and excellent prices.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

This is why I said 'apparently' and that it's 'not worth the risk in my opinion'

There could be awesome surgeons there, but how will you know? If a clinic doesn't have a solid reputation online where you can view many independent results and reviews (note I said independent, as in not JUST on the clinic website) then how can you work out how reputable the surgeon is? Word of mouth around your town would be good.........but other than that, you're just judging them on a marketing campaign or their locality.

I know this site isn't the be all and end all, but personally I think it's a risk to go with a doctor that doesn't have the reputation and track record of the doctors here. Lorenzo isn't recommended but his reputation is huge and so are the results he posts online. He's not recommended but you know he's good, but what about a clinic that you can find no information on? A risk in my opinion.

Sorry for the long post, was just explaining what I was trying to say before.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I was wondering about this myself. There are no recommended surgeons in New Zealand either, which is where I'm from originally.

I recently moved to Australia and decided to look at having a hair transplant. Have been on Minoxidil and Finasteride for over five years (and have just started Nizoral shampoo) but they don't seem to be having much effect. Maybe they've stopped further loss, but the hair ain't growing back.

I have visited National Hair Institute and Ashley & Martin here in Melbourne and both quoted me around $AUD 20,000 for about 3000 grafts. I see neither of those clinics are recommended on this Forum (just the opposite going by some of the posts here).

Having read through the Forum I am wondering if the best option would be to do the "Medical Tourist" thing and see Dr Pathomvanich in Thailand who seems to be regarded as world-class surgeon. Does anyone know what he charges per graft?

i also got a quote here in aus but ended up with Dr Path, i paid around half of your quote (i was also quoted about that for 3500 grafts) for 4000 grafts, so the trip to Thailand was not only a good move in regards to quality results but also a financial one, but i must say for me money was not a question.

• 4 weeks later...
Lot of Australians end up heading to Coalition physician Dr. Pathomvanich in Thailand. Not too far and excellent prices.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I wouldn't want to head overseas without travel insurance and many (most) travel insurance brokers won't touch you with a barge pole if you are going abroad for "medical or dental treatment or cosmetic surgery" - and I'm assuming a hair transplant qualifies as the latter!

I've had a quick search online and found several insurers covering medical tourists who are US or European residents, but could only find one that seems to be open to residents of Australia - Seven Corners, which is US-based and not cheap - they want about $USD 1000 for a week's stay in Thailand!

Are there any Australian insurers who will cover me if I travel overseas for an HT? (Obviously I don't expect to be covered for the HT per se, but I do want to be covered for other matters.)

Edited by calvus

I have thought the same question many times.You would think at least 1 doctor from Australia could make the list of recommended doctors.I have had dealings with Dr Barry White and Angela Woods and I wouldn't recommend either of them.

• 2 years later...

Australia does many things well, medicine included. This first world country has some of the best surgeons globally in other specialties like heart. The ones I have spoken to say they are not prepared to pay the large financial outlay to be recommended on this site. It's possible they feel defensive. if you have been to both India and Australia and seen the infrastructure, hospitals and regulations you may find it difficult to fathom how they could do better work.

Hey guys!

As I have mentioned in other posts, It could be possible I am the only person on here to visit a clinic in every state of Australia, would I recommend them? I cannot say specifically on HTN. However if you should require additional info, flick me a PM or email.

"The road to success is always under construction"

:cool: I represent Dr Rahal and the associated clinic as a paid patient advisor.

I am also here to assist fellow Australian/NZ Hair Loss sufferers both on and off the forum.

Hair Transplant Surgery:

June 3rd 2011

2800 Grafts to frontal 1/3

By Dr Rahal in Ottawa, Canada

Current Hair Loss Arsenal:

Dutas .5mg every day 1.5 years and Proscar 5mg (Cut into 1/4): x1 Daily 10 years

Hair-A-Gain Generic Minox: x2 Daily 13 years

(Applied wet in mornings)

Other Random products put to use during my hair loss battle (not in use):

Spiro Cream 5mg

Minox 15%

Dr Proctor's Nano Shampoo

Various Herbal supplements

Toppik/ Nanogen

Saw Palmetto

Provillus - LOL

Nanogen Shampoo

Laser Treatments (Epic Fail)

10 long years of HT and general HL research.:cool:

*I am not a medical professional, I only offer my own advice from personal experiences and years of detailed research*

Australia has produced many notable hair transplant physicians Dr. Richard Shiell, was once a notable and leading strip surgeon. Dr. W(cannot be mentioned by name) was the pioneer of FUE and arguably no single doctor has had more of an influence on the global HT industry than him, because against great odds FUE has finally arrived. Dr. Barry White, whilst not well known, was a member of this website and was a recommended surgeon. I would not recommend him.

It seems to me that Australia was a leader in the pre-internet age, and then fell off the radar altogether there after. Aussie guys seem to be big head shavers too.

However, now that the hipster look for young guys is into its fourth-fifth year (guessing as an old irrelevant guy) and bald it 'aint, so my guess is that the market for HT is Australia is going up. The Australian dollar is pretty good so, as you guys say, they'll travel, and it won't be to Hasson and Wong, but I'd say the FUE clinics of Turkey, India, Belgium and possibly Thailand, if they can finally get their FUE act together.

Does anyone know the deal with W? He seems to be a pretty polarizing guy, cannot be mentioned on this site... and I've seen him get into random shouting matches online with another doctor "A".....he is pretty expensive though, and while he is a pioneer I think the FUE world has moved on more or less.

• 2 weeks later...

The surgeon's in Australia I have had consultations with say they don't want to pay the fees required to be recommended on this forum. It does not mean they are not good. It's about doing thorough research and deciding what's best for your situation, no matter where in the world they are.

• 1 year later...

Funny how I discovered this thread due to a adverting shitpost, but I think that Australian surgeons aren't known just due to a huge lack of advertising and online information.

There's no way that every single surgeon of one of the wealthiest 1st world countries would be absolute garbage, but I can't find any information whatsoever for even the apparent 'best' surgeons in Australia.

When looking around online, I found a surgeon called Mario Marzola in Adelaide, and on his ISHRS page there's a lot of accolades and he was apparently even president of it for a little bit, but outside of the ISHRS page and his own clinic's website, there's absolutely no info to find of him whatsoever. Guess Australia's poor quality internet prevents all of the surgeons putting themselves out there, lol.

He might still be a great surgeon, but it's hard to exactly want to go to a surgeon when the most recent information you can find about them is way back from 2006.