Having a hard time deciding on which Doctor to go with…

0lixej

I'm 27. I've had a receding hair for a while now, since late teens. It has not bothered me until after finishing my undergrad, when I began to notice that the hair loss was enough to put a dent in my looks. I am Norwood III, and by the looks of my father and uncle, it is very likely where I would stay. I got on Rogaine in Jan. of 2010 and had great success in re-growing hair for the first year or so. I actually stopped thinking about it. But lo and behold, Rogaine lost its potency after a year or so, and my widow's peak began to thin out, while the side effects of the foam did not help.

Quitting Rogaine couple of months ago, I decided to go with a permanent option. I live in Vancouver. I know that Hasson & Wong are much respected for their skill, but the strip method really does not appeal to me. I've been trying to narrow down on my FUE options. The ones I have so far are:

1.Dr. Bisanga in Brussels

2. Dr. Rashid M. Rashid in Houston

3. HDC in Cyprus

None of these doctors appear to be recommended by your site, so I was wondering whether anyone has ideas about them, or whether you can make other recommendations. I am leaning toward Dr. Bisanga, especially since he appears to have the better reviews around the internet, but it would also be nice to see whether the slightly cheaper options are viable too.

Thank you!

You should consider using some kind of preventative medication, such as propecia (finasteride) because although the procedure is permanent sometimes people do not have enough donor hair to get an incredible result and keep it that way for the rest of their lives. If you do not use medication you may continue to lose more native hair and require several more procedures than you would have needed if you had started the meds. Consult with a few doctors in person or have an online consultation by sending them a few photos, so you can get a long term projection of where you're headed.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hello there, you have one of the best clinics in your backyard,they can evaulate you ,and give you a per. for propecia, try taking both rogaine foam and propecia, to slow down your hair loss, and if your set on having FUE , you can check out dr.rahal and SMG , they do strip as well as fue, , theres also a doc from spain that does fue only , but i cant recall his name at the moment,

I live in Vancouver. I know that Hasson & Wong are much respected for their skill, but the strip method really does not appeal to me. I've been trying to narrow down on my FUE options.

Olixej.....you might enjoy watching & reading Dr. Feller's thoughts on FUE.

FUE – Follicular Unit Extraction - Hair Transplants New York / New Jersey, Long Island and International

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there. I am from Houston and just had my FUE procedure with Rashid M Rashid at Mosaic Clinic. Today marks 9 days post op. He suggested 700 grafts and ended up giving me 50 extra during surgery for a total of 750. I just wanted to fill in my receding hairline. He gave me a nice shave that concealed the donor area which you can barely see. Its now growing back fine and back of head looks pretty normal.

I originally had a strip method schedule with another local doctor. I then saw a local athlete in Houston who had the strip procedure with a shaved cut and the back of his head looked horrible which convinced me to look into FUE. I visited with Rashid M Rashid and booked my procedure the following weekend.

Dr Rashid advised me that the 700 grafts would restore my hairline quite well and that in another 6 months if I wanted more of a touch up and to redo my temples, etc I can easily do a second surgery. My main concern was concealing my donor area because I never wear a shaved or fade hair style. So I went ahead with the 700 and 50 extra free day of surgery. I think the total hairs combined to around 1500-1700 total hairs from 750 grafts.

Surgery started early and I arrived at the clinic at 7am. We started at 7:30 and I was fully completed by 10:30 am and I was home by 11am. Dr. Rashid’s staff was excellent and very professional. The facility is nice and clean. Dr. Rashid and his staff were very polite and always asking every couple of minutes if I was ok, how is everything, etc. When I was completed Dr gave me his cell phone number and said to call him over the weekend if I have any concerns or questions.

Day of surgery I had very little pain, in fact day 2 I didn’t even take any pain meds because I felt no pain. I believe day 4 is went I started feeling discomfort or or true post op discomfort. Today marks day 9 and I am doing well. Just some itching, and feeling of sun burn to the donor area which people say goes away by day 14.

Day 5 I had trouble sleeping due to the procedure and called the doctor for advice. I left a message with his assistant and he called me back promptly and prescribed me some meds. I just want to say that my overall experience at this clinic was outstanding. His prices were extremely favorable and I could not believe what a great deal I received. The surgery was done very quickly, and my recovery was very quick. I was back to work in 72 hours.

I do plan on returning in another 6 mos to finish my temples and possibly bring the line down slightly based on how results are coming in. I will ad some pictures later this week and create a profile page.

• 2 months later...

For someone who is in the same city as Hasson and Wong, I think it'd be a big shame if you didn't make the most of it. People come from all over the world to them!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

FUE is an added gamble and unless you are absolutely sure you need the option of wearing your hair short, I would rather go FUT for a large session.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is rare to see small cases like 700 grafts unless it is a doctor that does mainly FUE. Houston has some very good hair transplant doctors and one that does only FUE. You should look at the website for the pictures and sometimes the clinics have more pictures on site. For FUE, just make sure you go to a place that does a lot of FUE. One good sign would be if they dont do manual FUE i.e if they use some of the machines and also a big thing is if they outsource staff is used. Ideally you want a place that does nto have to get outside help.

• 5 months later...
Hello there. I am from Houston and just had my FUE procedure with Rashid M Rashid at Mosaic Clinic. Today marks 9 days post op. He suggested 700 grafts and ended up giving me 50 extra during surgery for a total of 750. I just wanted to fill in my receding hairline. He gave me a nice shave that concealed the donor area which you can barely see. Its now growing back fine and back of head looks pretty normal.

I originally had a strip method schedule with another local doctor. I then saw a local athlete in Houston who had the strip procedure with a shaved cut and the back of his head looked horrible which convinced me to look into FUE. I visited with Rashid M Rashid and booked my procedure the following weekend.

Dr Rashid advised me that the 700 grafts would restore my hairline quite well and that in another 6 months if I wanted more of a touch up and to redo my temples, etc I can easily do a second surgery. My main concern was concealing my donor area because I never wear a shaved or fade hair style. So I went ahead with the 700 and 50 extra free day of surgery. I think the total hairs combined to around 1500-1700 total hairs from 750 grafts.

Surgery started early and I arrived at the clinic at 7am. We started at 7:30 and I was fully completed by 10:30 am and I was home by 11am. Dr. Rashid’s staff was excellent and very professional. The facility is nice and clean. Dr. Rashid and his staff were very polite and always asking every couple of minutes if I was ok, how is everything, etc. When I was completed Dr gave me his cell phone number and said to call him over the weekend if I have any concerns or questions.

Day of surgery I had very little pain, in fact day 2 I didn’t even take any pain meds because I felt no pain. I believe day 4 is went I started feeling discomfort or or true post op discomfort. Today marks day 9 and I am doing well. Just some itching, and feeling of sun burn to the donor area which people say goes away by day 14.

Day 5 I had trouble sleeping due to the procedure and called the doctor for advice. I left a message with his assistant and he called me back promptly and prescribed me some meds. I just want to say that my overall experience at this clinic was outstanding. His prices were extremely favorable and I could not believe what a great deal I received. The surgery was done very quickly, and my recovery was very quick. I was back to work in 72 hours.

I do plan on returning in another 6 mos to finish my temples and possibly bring the line down slightly based on how results are coming in. I will ad some pictures later this week and create a profile page.

Hi new2this, I know this is an old feed but I was hoping you could provide an update on your results from Dr. Rashid?

Does anyone have any follow ups about their experience with Dr. Rashid? I am thinking about using him for a 700 FUE transplant. This would be my first time. Does he have a lot of experience? How did the transplant work out at the end? Thanks!

Computer99, did you ever hear back on Dr. Rashid....I find it odd that there are so few people who know of him.

FUE is an added gamble and unless you are absolutely sure you need the option of wearing your hair short, I would rather go FUT for a large session.

I mean, can you really be sure you won't ever want to wear your hair short? And what is "short?" If your scar turns out badly, short may turn out to be rather... long. I would agree with FUE being more of a gamble if you were to blindly select a HT surgeon at random... but if you do your research and are willing to pay a bit more, I think it's definitely the other way around.

I mean, can you really be sure you won't ever want to wear your hair short? And what is "short?" If your scar turns out badly, short may turn out to be rather... long. I would agree with FUE being more of a gamble if you were to blindly select a HT surgeon at random... but if you do your research and are willing to pay a bit more, I think it's definitely the other way around.

It's an added complication to the whole process. You're asking a doctor to place a microscopic (<1mm) punch over your hair follicles, 4000 times and 'hope' that when punching he doesn't transect the roots. Even Lorenzo will not guarantee above 85% yield (someone who consulted with him posted that comment).

You still stand a better chance of your hair follicles surviving using the FUT method.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

It's an added complication to the whole process. You're asking a doctor to place a microscopic (<1mm) punch over your hair follicles, 4000 times and 'hope' that when punching he doesn't transect the roots. Even Lorenzo will not guarantee above 85% yield (someone who consulted with him posted that comment).

You still stand a better chance of your hair follicles surviving using the FUT method.

I agree about follicle survival rate but if you see a top end FUE doctor like Lorenzo I think the difference is very insigificant if not outright negligible. At that point it's a question of do I want like 0-2% more grafts to survive, or a major scar. In a 2500 graft case 0-2% is 0-50 grafts. I'd much rather risk losing up to 50 grafts in that hypothetical.

It is interesting Lorenzo does not gaurantee above 85%, but I suspect his survival rate is is still very high. Regardless of whatever the numbers may be, I see Lorenzo get coverage and density that I'm not even sure any FUT doctor could get. I'm sure his survival rate is very similiar if not the same as the best FUT.

In your case, I would go to Hasson and Wong. They are the some of the top docs available in the world. FUT isn't that bad unless you want to buzz your hair, but in that case what's the point of getting surgery if you want to keep it that short? You will get a lot more grafts in just one session.