Weightlifting after surgery - any exercises to avoid?

My doctor's instructions are that I can do anything I want after stitches are removed, including weightlifting. I know others have been told to wait longer than that. I'm not willing to trade short term muscle for a long term stretch of my scar.

Are there any specific exercises I should avoid that would stretch the back of my head?

I always tell patients that even after sutures are removed for a couple of months they need to avoid excessive flexion of the neck. No chin to chest movements. The Trap muscle attaches to the back of the scalp and pulls down when flexion of the neck occurs. This can have a negative effect on the width of the scar (widens it).

With FUE, any exercise or weight lifting is fine given it was after a decent amount of healing time(10-14 days). With FUT you want to avoid lifting for at least a month and then start off light. Deadlifts, squats, shoulder shrugs, traps, situps with or with out weights are not to be done. Follow the doctors instructions post op and even be more conservative. Last thing you want is a stretched scar for the sake of bit of muscle than can be gained later. Some doctors say 3 months minimum.

With FUE, any exercise or weight lifting is fine given it was after a decent amount of healing time(10-14 days). With FUT you want to avoid lifting for at least a month and then start off light. Deadlifts, squats, shoulder shrugs, traps, situps with or with out weights are not to be done. Follow the doctors instructions post op and even be more conservative. Last thing you want is a stretched scar for the sake of bit of muscle than can be gained later. Some doctors say 3 months minimum.

What exercise would you do for abs during the downtime?

I would do exercise's to train your core, no crunches or sit ups, twisting exercise's whilst standing, do 3 sets of 2 minute planks, dumbbell side bend, with the dumbbell in only one hand each time, standing core stabilization, Stand with your slightly apart, use both hands to hold a dumbbell straight out in front of your chest, Moving your torso slightly, slowly rotate your arms to the left as far as you can. Pause, then rotate to the right.

I wouldn't do any weights for 3 months at all, but I would be scared of stretching the scar, being the owner of a bad scar, I have hindsight regarding this. Go really light, but still go to failure, even if you have to do 50 reps.

After my first HT I was back in the gym on day 7 after the surgery. Bike for the legs, 50% of normal weight for upper body weight work. Had some stinging from the sweat and felt the tension on the scar. Dont do situps, shrugs, chins, squats or deadlift for at least a month, and then not heavy. be careful of any shoulder pressing and lat pulldowns. As the doc said any exercise that makes the traps work will pull on the scar and shoulder presses work traps to a certain extent.

Also keep breathing through the movement. You will find that helps alot. Holding your breath while you lift increases tension in the scalp and on the scar.

After my second HT I waited 2 weeks and it felt much better. No stinging, scar felt good.

My advice is to wait 2 weeks after surgery then back in the gym on light weights, higher reps.

I think exercise aids healing as well.

cheers,

Sunny

What exercise would you do for abs during the downtime?

Preferably none. However I think there is an exercise(not sure of the name) where you hold yourself in place and lift your legs up(whilst locked) and bring them back down. That could work out abs and might not cause tension on the neck/scar. Double check though!

As an experiment of one, I started heavy weights (relative to my bodyweight) as soon as my stitches were out after my 1st strip procedure with a doc in Florida and got a badly stretched scar. I also started weights as soon as my stitches were out after my 2nd strip procedure with a different doc (Dr. Alexander) and got a perfect, pencil thin scar (including excision of old scar). So whatever the variables involved in the differences between the 2 scars, weight training wasn't one of them.

As an experiment of one, I started heavy weights (relative to my bodyweight) as soon as my stitches were out after my 1st strip procedure with a doc in Florida and got a badly stretched scar. I also started weights as soon as my stitches were out after my 2nd strip procedure with a different doc (Dr. Alexander) and got a perfect, pencil thin scar (including excision of old scar). So whatever the variables involved in the differences between the 2 scars, weight training wasn't one of them.

But everyones body and build up is different. No doctor can promise a perfect 1mm or 3mm scar. I have seen variable scar results from renowned doctors. Saying lifting heavy eeights plays no part in scar stretching is wrong. Sure you came out with a good scar even with lifting, but that doesn't mean it is the general consensus.

I know you mean well. I just don't want to see this person or anyone else have a stretchdd scar just for the sake or maintaining some muscle that could be put back on 4 months later.

It's possible the closing method (technique) between your two procedures could be the variable as well. I know my last strip which was my fourth, the doc used staples as I was a bit tight (laxity). Some docs favor a double closing technique as well.

I also am an advocate of waiting for no less than 3 months to be on the safe side. It takes at least that long IMHO for the scalp to also regain some level of laxity back. Scalps do stretch back with time and some docs will want their repeat patients or those of us wanting subsequent procedures to do scalp strectching exercises before the procedure date to provide as much play in the scalp as possible.

In addition, I have read before that the inner dermis layer of scalp tissue takes longer to heal than the epidermis (outer layer). Although the epidermis heals in a much shorter time period for most healers, we tend to be fooled because the stitches and scabbing are gone.

In a double closure both layers are stitched with the inner sutures being dissolvable.

IMHO, toning is better than hitting the heavy weights if you must lift following the post-op period. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

My doctor has told me to be very careful with chin to chest movements after surgery . Based upon his advice and my knowledge of anatomy of that area I'm going to be very careful for the first 3 months .

• 1 month later...