What makes the special doctors special?

Spanker

So IMO (some will disagree) that there are a short list of special docs that routinely get outstanding results.

I am not here to name them and argue about who is or is not on that list, but I wanted to know, why is that list (IMO) so short?

It is definitely a skilled job for the doc and the techs, but when I look at it, I would think that every major city could host a clinic that runs at the top level, however, there are only a handful throughout the world.

Any insightful thoughts?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker, you and I probably have relatively the same list.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

How short is the list?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

So IMO (some will disagree) that there are a short list of special docs that routinely get outstanding results.

I am not here to name them and argue about who is or is not on that list, but I wanted to know, why is that list (IMO) so short?

It is definitely a skilled job for the doc and the techs, but when I look at it, I would think that every major city could host a clinic that runs at the top level, however, there are only a handful throughout the world.

Any insightful thoughts?

Very good question Spanker. I even thought about that. I think most doctors here really try their best and put a lot of effort in their work. Some really put 110% in their work and it shows in their results. Like you, I notice that short list and it gets me thinking. Some results vary greatly.

It would be great if every city hosted such top docs but only a handful exist. Maybe it has to do with training and going to conferences to share knowledge with colleagues. Every year there are probably tons of new HT surgeons and some may not have that exposure unless they have worked or trained under top docs that teach them of the advanced methods they use. The field seems to be advancing, new tools, new techniques, I just hope a lot of older/newer docs take advantage and catch up and learn from some of their colleagues. This also goes for technicians in the game. In general, I do notice that most well known private practices do a better job than large franchises such as Bosley and so forth.

Some doctors refuse to accept certain modern methods of extraction and still use older techniques or their own as they feel comfortable with it. Same goes for inserting grafts. Some are willing to take challenges to see if they can enhance the process, while some seem to refuse. As technology advances, I see more and more docs gain confidence to try new things through their calculated approaches. I think there are also other negative factors regarding methods and practices, such as, some docs do not share certain technologies if they are sucessful as properiatary fears comes to mind. Sometimes competition can hinder the sharing of certain valuable knowledge. I have heard a little bit of everything on the forums.

But patients are also becoming more and more educated and they also demand things based on what they read so docs have to be prepared. We know closure techniques to punch sizes to type of recipient slits and so forth. While some may get poor results today, a lot of those that were butchered are now able to be repaired today. They did pay a price but paved the road to succes for most of us. I just hope more and more valuable knowledge is shared amongst surgeons. Some must be willing to learn and some must be willing to give info.

Maybe these things could be just part of the reasons why some docs get outstanding results more commonly than others.

How short is the list?

To actually work on me that I gave serious consideration? Probably 5 clinics. There may be one overseas that I didn't consider because of travel.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think its a combo of the doctors ability, style/approach, and lets not forget the technicians. Without good cutters and planters, yield can suffer. If a doc has very good techs, that can make all the difference.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect its a combination of a number of factors:

1. Honest consultations and treatment plans--not fishing for every available dollar from every available consultation.

2. Avoiding the big 3 mistakes: hairline too low, big wide scar, too little hair over too much bald head

3. Practice makes perfect or at least practice makes better. Its hard to get good dabbling in hair, or facelifts, or flying airplanes....

4. Techs who care about their quality of work, and who work for the doctor and who understand that their work, on a daily basis, affects a result for a lifetime.

There are probably more, but this came to mind immediately. No clinic is perfect, all have less than perfect outcomes but the good clinics can minimize disappointing results by adhering to high standards and consistency.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Number 4 is a big one. Keeping that attitude every single day is probably difficult.

View Spanker's Website

Interesting thread. It is not really plausible and to me erroneous to assert that there are only 5 good clinics in the world. The statement pretty much counteracts HTN, Since a lot more than 5 HT surgeons are recommended. There are always levels of expertise in all professions. Asserting that there is such a low number of skilled centers cannot be good for the industry. Unless people are actually visiting the clinics and doing more than anecdotal precursory evaluation this idea doesn't make sense. Dr. Lindsay's list of the positives of good clinics is spot on. If however there were only 5 successful clinics yielding good results the industry would fold from the sheer volume of negative activity. There are a lot more than 5 top clinics producing positive results. This assertion is not scientific and contradictory to the efforts of HTN. All the Best, Michael.

Edited by michaeljames
typo

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Spanker, in your opinion, which 5? Guys, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Lets not wage a war on this. Just wanted some input from u guys on who u guys think r the best in this biz :)

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Iv'e always believed that what the best surgeons in the world do everytime is the basics very well. Everything thing in life is built on good foundations, "Friendships, relationships and if its not then you will probably get found out.

When the basics are done well then for me the outcome, always has a better fighting chance.

When i think back to my poor HT in the uk they broke every basic fundamental HT rule in the book :mad:

For me my list is probably in the region of 20 surgeons for the high level of work they do, but when you then bring in geography, personalities it would probably be closer to 10 :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Interesting thread. It is not really plausible and to me erroneous to assert that there are only 5 good clinics in the world. The statement pretty much counteracts HTN, Since a lot more than 5 HT surgeons are recommended. There are always levels of expertise in all professions. Asserting that there is such a low number of skilled centers cannot be good for the industry. Unless people are actually visiting the clinics and doing more than anecdotal precursory evaluation this idea doesn't make sense. Dr. Lindsay's list of the positives of good clinics is spot on. If however there were only 5 successful clinics yielding good results the industry would fold from the sheer volume of negative activity. There are a lot more than 5 top clinics producing positive results. This assertion is not scientific and contradictory to the efforts of HTN. All the Best, Michael.

Micheal, I guess I need to set a few things straight. First, I never said that there were only five good clinics, I said that there were five that I considered for me. So, while you are right that this is not scientific, it doesn't have to be. Being recommended by HTN does not mean that the clinic is great for every person or the right choice for me. I'm sorry, but it is true. It is not my duty to say things that are good for your industry as the only interest I have is for the patient. After 2 years of extensive research I feel like I have the right to say that after that research I only really considered 5 clinics. What would be worse for HTN than me stating this is to feel that I couldn't. We are open here and users are not obligated to promote recommended clinics. There is a long lost of clinics that may be right for other people for different reasons. Lots of clinics put out good results, but like in everything else, there are a special few that rise above the rest. That is scientific based on three-sigma rule. It states that 5 percent (of statistical findings) are going to be more than two standard deviations above the mean. This basically applies to everything with a strong correlation. Ball players, iq scores, income, and different skill sets too. I am sorry if the truth is offensive. Everyone can't be kings of there craft. This is just my opinion and I don't see a problem with my statement.

Edited by Spanker
Spelling

View Spanker's Website

I agree 100 percent with Spanker. There is good and then there is great. People can have different opinions on who is best or their top 5 but notice that it is the same handful of docs always mentioned in this short list; Not just on this site but on others as well.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452