Are FUT scars detectable?

Hi Everyone,

For all of you out there that have done this procedure would you say your scars are at all noticeable after the first year or so?

1. Can you or your wife/girlfriend feel them with your/her fingers (little ridge etc.)?

2. Does your hair sit well over them or is there a crease in the way the hair falls?

3. Do you have to tell your barber about the scars and have him/her work around them to make it look natural back there?

4. What in your opinion are the downsides to FUT?

Im trying to figure out if I want to stick with my idea of FUE or go with a "possible higher yield" FUT. Im not sure if I'm ready for a permanent scar on my body unless it is truly undetectable.

Thanks All,

Magnum

1. Sometimes

2. Depends on how short your hair is.

3. Depends on how short you want it. (I am going to tell them scissors only so it shouldn't be an issue.)

4. Obviously, permanent scarring, but IMO, that beats permanent balding. I never wont wear my hair shave anymore so it isn't that big of an issue for me. Another upside besides possible higher yields (I personally believe the vast majority of people will get a better yield with strip, but you can also a lot more grafts. Most people are FUE'd out at 5-6k grafts, but we are seeing a lot of people getting 8-9k and more with strip, before the start FUE.)

They both have their place.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Of course each patient is going to be different and each doctor's results different. I had a small FUT procedure about 12 years ago (maybe 1500 grafts) and the scar has never been even the slightest issue. Hair has always sat perfect over it, no bump, no ridge. No way anyone could notice or feel it . Very hard to find even when trying. None of my hairdressers over the years ever knew until I told them. After some looking they could usually find it. Downside to FUT in my opinion would probably be a longer "healing period". I think FUT is much cheaper and more grafts survive.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Hi Everyone,

For all of you out there that have done this procedure would you say your scars are at all noticeable after the first year or so?

1. Can you or your wife/girlfriend feel them with your/her fingers (little ridge etc.)?

2. Does your hair sit well over them or is there a crease in the way the hair falls?

3. Do you have to tell your barber about the scars and have him/her work around them to make it look natural back there?

Depends, depends, depends.

Depends on how you heal (your physiology). Depends on your hair length. Depends whether you go to a good doctor or a quack. Depends on if you ever want to shave again.

Personally, my scar stretched a bit and it is still pink. This may bother some guys but since my hair is longer its virtually a none issue. My stylist knows about my transplants and she does a wonderful job.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks Guys!

Spanker- do you know if its possible to do FUE first then strip if needed to get higher yield?

Shampoo-how long is the healing period for FUT normally?

Thanks again,

Magnum

Hello MagnumPi. From my personal experience with Dr. Feller, My scar was undetectable from a couple of weeks in. Within 4 weeks I was shaving it to grade #4 and from about 7 or 8 weeks in I was shaving it to grade #3. Nobody has ever noticed it and my GF said it's undetectable. In fact my barber said he has never seen hairs grow out of a scar like mine (Tricho closure)

These are the sides of my hair shaved to number 3 at 4 months with flash on and off.

screenshot20120513at165.png

screenshot20120513at165.png

With the latest method of Trichophylic closure, the scarring is minimal and like the edge of a pack of cards.

Don't be put off by pictures of strip scars by bad clinics years ago as strip has evolved tremendously since inception in the 1950's.

Well I don't have a girlfriend/partner but my sister has examined the back of my head and she had found it extremely difficult to find.

Perfectly

No I have never and has never commented but I do not cut my hair very short.

There isn't really any downside of fut if performed correctly by a top surgeon in my opinion( possibly that you can take your hair one or two grades lower on fue but not to a zero) but don't rush into anything and keep researching both procedures.

I have attached this comparison from SMG for fue and fut which may help.

Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Im trying to figure out if I want to stick with my idea of FUE or go with a "possible higher yield" FUT. Im not sure if I'm ready for a permanent scar on my body unless it is truly undetectable.

I don't think any scar is truly "undetectable" else it would not be a scar regardless of whether it is FUT or FUE. There will always be that one something that will make it detectable but that also depends on how far one is willing to go to detect it to begin with. If you have to go pretty far to do so then you're looking for something beyond everyday detectability.

The #1 thing I ask head shavers about is what they plan on doing once they have a procedure. Overwhelmingly the answer has something to do with growing their hair longer because they won't have to continue shaving to deal with hair loss. I routinely hear about how shaving is more acceptable and fashionable right now. Actually, I've been hearing this for the past ten years. It is of course and that is a wonderful thing and looks great on guys that have the right head shape but the vast majority of head shavers are bald or balding and shaving is the only style (or non-style) to deal with it because there are no other options. I rarely see guys that have full or near full heads of hair and shave it off.

Now shorter(ER) hair cuts, but not quite shaved, is a different animal and this is where FUT still works given that you have average healing characteristics and you have a good doc with at least average donor density. I've had well over 10,000 grafts, 9460 of which were with Dr. Wong through four surgeries and I can have my hair shorter or at least as short as most men would ever want their own hair.

#3 Guard...

dsc_2302.jpg?i=1487286701

dsc_2335.jpg?i=118208535

dsc_2334.jpg?i=889503484

Is it perfect? No, but it works for me and it certainly isn't an issue that anyone around me would ever notice. Ever.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

For the sake of a grade or two shaved down I am not sure honestly why someone would risk a potential lower yield for the increased price.

The best, most consistent and most efficient hair transplantation results have be shown by gold standard strip surgery in my opinion.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

And with FUT scars we are not talking about a scar on your face for the whole world to see. These linear scars are hidden if you simply keep your hair long enough. Not a big deal for me but maybe for someone desirous of a military crewcut.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Hey Tom selleck hahaha

I posted some good quality close up pics a few years ago , please take a look at the link below , it may help you with your desision .

I have always had longer surfer scruffy type hair styles , so for me it was an easy choice to make , I wanted more hair with the most yeald , and knew I would grow it out to cover any linear scar .

Take a look

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/144292-dr-feller-uk-patient-richie48-new-close-up-scar-pics-trichophytic-closure-scaled-pics.html

good luck

Richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Hi Magnum,

See my post here on this topic. I am now 7 months post 2nd surgery, and I have to say that the scar's chracateristsics are perfetc, i.e. ZERO ittching, no irritation no loss of nerve sensation, no ridge nothing,

Bear in mind it has to do with the number of grafts i.e how wide the strip is. For exampe my first proceedure was around 2300 and the scar was good but noticeably more irritation to this one which was under 2000.

Yes it deepnds on:

surgeon sjill - tricho closure

individual healing characteristics to trauma

size of strip

scalp laxity

and the rest.......

here is the link have a look at the scar healing post op

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/166679-fut-scars-detectable.html

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

-----------------------------------

2 Great HT's & Experiences

Just be aware that a scar that is 7 months old is not the finished product. Scar tissue continues to form for at least the first 12 months. It will thicken and harden somewhat after the 7 month mark, maybe a little, maybe more depending on your healing characteristics.

The color of the scar changes over time. It goes from pink->tan->white for most caucasian skin types. Optimum match time with surrounding skin is around 4-8 months.

Not saying you can't get a small scar, just that the scar looks best from 4 months to 12 months. Same holds true for FUE scarring.

Edited by biscuit
typo :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

Hey Ritchie,

Great updates and pics, Im needing a similar crown fix great to see the results you have had

Uk R

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

2 Great HT's & Experiences