Best results of SMP?

Hey guys,

Since SMP is becoming more popular and more controversial topic on HRN, what are your favorite results you have seen ? For me , Good Look Ink is my favorite.

smp11.jpg.5ce833366f5bca88e2880c424c72c771.jpg

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Cases that may look good online most likely will not look the same in person. I've seen SMP from most of the known names and it still lacks the dimensional component that makes it believable even if everything else is done right, which from what I've seen, rarely is. I can't imagine being found out that I had my head tattooed to mimic hair.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Cases that may look good online most likely will not look the same in person. I've seen SMP from most of the known names and it still lacks the dimensional component that makes it believable even if everything else is done right, which from what I've seen, rarely is. I can't imagine being found out that I had my head tattooed to mimic hair.

Joe,

Thank you for your reply. Although I agree that I would be really depressed if it found out, I still think that this may be a good option. I mean what do you think about doing it for people who has nearly no solution for their hairloss via ht? Or for the people who wants to go for the shortest cut possible?

Joe,

Thank you for your reply. Although I agree that I would be really depressed if it found out, I still think that this may be a good option. I mean what do you think about doing it for people who has nearly no solution for their hairloss via ht? Or for the people who wants to go for the shortest cut possible?

Azazelgs,

Before I answer I wish to be clear about something. I am giving my opinion on this because I give a damn about guys making mistakes that they will regret and cannot really do anything about. I've seen SMP from multiple clinics and even my friend Milena Lardi in Milan, Italy with her "temporary" SMP should be considered as an absolute last resort. The problem is that because it is designed to fade, which can be good if you don't like it, you're then locked into having to have CONTINUOUS repeat trips to have the procedure done all over again. If you get SMP that is not designed to fade, but does anyway as all SMP does and winds up turning blue or green, you're essentially effed and cannot do anything to change it.

To answer your question, I don't think people that have no options for HT should do this. Going for the shortest cut possible? This depends on how much hair one has to begin with but I believe that the best SMP candidate would be one that actually has too much hair to qualify for surgery and does not have the family history to indicate inevitable aggressive future loss.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Azazelgs,

Before I answer I wish to be clear about something. I am giving my opinion on this because I give a damn about guys making mistakes that they will regret and cannot really do anything about. I've seen SMP from multiple clinics and even my friend Milena Lardi in Milan, Italy with her "temporary" SMP should be considered as an absolute last resort. The problem is that because it is designed to fade, which can be good if you don't like it, you're then locked into having to have CONTINUOUS repeat trips to have the procedure done all over again. If you get SMP that is not designed to fade, but does anyway as all SMP does and winds up turning blue or green, you're essentially effed and cannot do anything to change it.

To answer your question, I don't think people that have no options for HT should do this. Going for the shortest cut possible? This depends on how much hair one has to begin with but I believe that the best SMP candidate would be one that actually has too much hair to qualify for surgery and does not have the family history to indicate inevitable aggressive future loss.

Joe,

Thank you for your answer. However, I'd like to get an opinion from you. Lets assume that I'm a nw6 at a young age and have a low donor density and low laxity and looking for a buzz cut/shaved look. What should I do and what do you suggest me to do ??

Low donor density AND low laxity? I would tell you to forget about hair, shave it, get ripped and be successful with life so that you can afford REAL hair multiplication or cloning when it comes out. My best friend shaves his head and is competing in body building contests and no one gives a damn about his shaved head. He gets complimented on it. I know because I've witnessed it.

Chasing stop gap measures such as SMP is in my opinion just not worth it and will only lead to regret and dismay once the reality of the procedure settles in. And as for clinics that offer it? I feel it is only another revenue stream to aid their bottom line and is not a service that has the patient's needs in mind.

Azazelgs,

What type of pt has too much hair? Are you talking about a diffuse thinner? I have seen people with very minimal loss get ht's. I feel like smp might be a good option in conjunction with a ht but it's just too new for me to be a lab rat to it.

As far as a nw6 getting. I really think I would be able to spot it 3 miles away. While you see older guys getting ht's, you don't see them getting micro pigmentation. I looks cool for a young guy to go shaved, but an old guy with a shaved head just looks like a old bald guy.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

The kind of patient that has too much hair would be one that might have less than original density but not enough loss to risk surgery. Diffused thinners generally can have surgery but I'm talking about diffused thinning that isn't really noticeable to anyone but the patient. It is difficult to explain but hopefully you get the idea.

I disagree about older guys shaving looking like old bald guys. If they are lazy and out of shape then even young guys will look old. If an older guy is in great shape then they can and do look good with a shaved head. You may disagree but I know old bald guys that are fit that look far better than fat lazy young guys with full heads of hair. In my opinion 80% of one's appearance relies on how one carries oneself, how they dress and how they behave.

Spanker,

The kind of patient that has too much hair would be one that might have less than original density but not enough loss to risk surgery. Diffused thinners generally can have surgery but I'm talking about diffused thinning that isn't really noticeable to anyone but the patient. It is difficult to explain but hopefully you get the idea.

I disagree about older guys shaving looking like old bald guys. If they are lazy and out of shape then even young guys will look old. If an older guy is in great shape then they can and do look good with a shaved head. You may disagree but I know old bald guys that are fit that look far better than fat lazy young guys with full heads of hair. In my opinion 80% of one's appearance relies on how one carries oneself, how they dress and how they behave.

I do not mean to say that a slick bald guy can't look good, and some women even like it. Hell, if I didn't have cvg I would wear a shaved head, but alas, I hate the wrinkled head look and feel that my loss throughout life will not be so significant that I couldn't keep up with HTs.

And when I say old, I'm not talking about 50, in talking about sixty and over. And yeah, it's better to be bald than a slob. But not everyone walking around is Bruce Willis. If I were a very high nw level with a normal head, I would skip the ht and go for the shaved look.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker and Joe,

I am buzzing my head with the lowest clipper for 3 years now , approximately from the time I started to notice that im balding. I always tell my cousins ( all of them nw5-6) to buzz their sides because it would look definately much younger and better look, so i agree with both of you.

However, I look at SMP as a good alternative for bald guys. Dont get get me wrong , im still not convinced to it , there are many unanswered things but besides from going to have a helmet head and high density , can one go for a more subtle and low density look , just to frame his face? Every one of us know that how important is to have a hairline. Could that be achieved?

One alternative for people can also be something like Hair Club For Men.

Not so much for azazelgs because he wants a buzz cut.

But if we are talking "worse case" scenarios,

personally I would try the Hair Club route again before I would shave it all off.

I tried Hair Club over a decade ago.

It looked great, but it just bothered me knowing it wasn't real.

But for me personally, the way my face & bone structure is I would do just about anything before I went with the "shave it all off" look.

So if a transplant was not possible....I'd probably be at Hair Club again.

$(KGrHqV,!h8E8RW4!m!DBPS(IJKmWQ~~60_35.JPG.

Hair Club

2EachHisOwn.....

Edited by Shampoo

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• Moderators

As bad as my hair looks I will not wear a hair system (or whatever you want to call it) again. I tried that years ago and felt even worse knowing I had fake hair.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I agree it sucks knowing it's not real, but for me personally it would suck worse being completely bald. For me Hair Club would be the "lesser of two evils" because with the "all shaved off" look I would have the "cancer patient" look bigtime. Some guys can pull it off, but not me. Hopefully transplants will make those choices mute.

Let me tell ya about my strategy with SMP , where I went wrong with it, and then why.

Here is the set up.

1) I've got an hairline like The Rock (except imagine it thinned and needy) the HT part of it unnatural and pointy, and then the sides, gentle and natural fades into faint side burns.

2) I looked and looked at SMP clinic pics. I hated SMP hairlines pure and simple.

3) but because I wasn't bald, but pluggy and empty areas hindered my attempt to buzz so I decided to combine my weedy hair and SMP

4) so I set out strict rules. NO TRESPASSING beyond the hairline!

5) I asked for the ink to be graduated so that it couldn't be seen as it approached the hairline.

"OK - I got it" is how I interpreted the answer to be.

But I was wrong, - the ink cannot be faded towards the front (or I was wrong twice, maybe it can, but my guy wouldn't or couldn't)

So, I am not a disaster, BUT, my hairline looks more pronounced, more ugly than ever, why? because, following my instructions , my guy, stopped just short of my hair line, and the ink, even if it is light, easily makes a stronger stamp than the hair. So even if one cannot tell it is fake, and I am an ink man, they will see a hairline even further back and more pronounced. I mean, I liked the ambiguity before. now I am marked, as it were! Of course pics would help, and I can't do that right now, but, I'm just saying.

Then there is the slight color blue, but I can deal with that, I think!!!

On the good side, At the right length, my crown and bald areas behind my temples, and some scarring has improved due to SMP,.cross-fingers (Perceptions do change!!)

Why i went wrong, a) I simply said, 'can you do x?' and believed. Again!!

b) fighting desperately for a last chance with da hair thing

ive contacted a few of those smp clinics, and they all seem shady to me....Jotronic is correct when saying they dont have the patients best intrest in mind...they are relying on people wanting deperately a fix for the problem.. How outrageous is almost 4000 dollars for a 6 hour tattoo procedure of dots??

I think the good part of SMP is covering the linear scar, reducing the contrast of hair and scalp...not the best solution but at least its not noticable..

im sure its hard for some to shave the head, but if your going to keep it short at a young age wait for HM....doctors NEVER say its not if its when so at least theres a light at the end of the tunnel....i woudnt trust those companies for a second

azazelgs I've wondered if scalp tats could help "finish off" a hair transplant?

I notice some guys still use concealer on the crown after a transplant.

If a crown is still a bit thin even after a transplant, could a scalp tat after the transplant is fully grown in help give a better illusion of density....instead of having to use concealers?

I think alot of people might agree that smp works great in areas where hair is grown in and to camaflauge the scalp for the illusion of density...

you can see a difference by taking a frontal area with mildly thick hair which you can see some scalp, take an eyebrow pencil and just poke in some col;our...looking in the mirror you now appear thicker, because you cant see light coloured scalp in contrast with hair...as another option for some is dye the hair lighter to more match the scalp colour..not the ulitate solution but a good option.

in the crown it would prob work really well

• 2 months later...
Joe,

Thank you for your answer. However, I'd like to get an opinion from you. Lets assume that I'm a nw6 at a young age and have a low donor density and low laxity and looking for a buzz cut/shaved look. What should I do and what do you suggest me to do ??

So at "young age" your balding, you then have this tattoed on your scalp but it never grows? the color fades? You end up being completely bald because it was agressive at a young age, then what? you tattoo little dots on the whole scalp? then it all fades? 30 years down the line, your sides and back gray, and you have dark little tattoo marks on your head? or even worse the sides gray and you have purple or blue or green faded dots on your head?

I know theres companys doing soley this type of "procedure" to help camoflauge hair loss, and i also know that even some hair transplant doctors are getting in on the action, Vinci Clinic, Dr Riad Roomi.. but face facts, this is a tatoo, it will fade, and as hairloss progress's youll have to keep adding these to comoflaguge till the point where you have no hair whatsoever on top and your combing all tattooed dots!!

Im not trying to badmouth a new thing but I just feel like this is a nonresable temporary fix that a lot of guys would regret later on