Help Choosing Chicago HT Surgeon

Hey whats up guys! I am new to this forum, but truly believe I will get the best advice possible. I am currently 21 and a college student in Illinois. My hair has been thinning for a while and I think it's time for me to seriously consider HT as an option. Even though I met with Dr. Khan in Chicago, I definitely will not be going to her for any future HT (thanks to the threads created here). Since I am a college student, financing such an expensive procedure is an important factor for me. Compared to Dr. Keller, Dr. Panine, and Dr. Konior, who has the cheapest cost associated with a HT and do any of them give financing options (this is crucial for me)? Thanks guys

Dr. Konior is the most expensive in Chicago (as far as I know), but he is my personal favorite as well. I have seen some good Dr. Panine results and I think his prices are lower. I think they all have financing information available, but I doubt the do it themselves. You would have to qualify through a third party. 21 is pretty young to be thinking about surgery, but I would consult them and see how you feel.

Edited by Spanker

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

21 is very young but these Docs you mention are ethical and won't give you any bull.

Dr Konior seems like a great guy. I sent him some photos of my case and he kindly replied within 24hrs.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

All 3 doctors you have listed are very good and recommended.

I must admit I admire Dr Konior's work.

You can have an online consultation with all 3 :)

I do agree with Spanker that 21 is too young, I made that mistake.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Xtreme11,

You sound a lot like me when I started researching/consulting on this forum. I was a poor grad student at the time and couldn't afford a procedure with an elite doc. I let financing dictate my decision and I ended up going to a subpar clinic for my first procedure. I'm still suffering the consequences of that decision 4 years later - even though SMG has thankfully put me back on the right track. Do not ever let finances determine who your doctor is. Go to the whomever you think is best, not cheapest.

You're in Chicago? Great. So am I. I highly recommend consulting with Dr. Konior. 21 is probably too early to get a transplant anyways. You should probably get on Fin and stay on it indefinitely.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Appreciate all the responses you guys. Chrisdav what exactly do you mean by making the same "mistake"? Did the HT not go the way you planned or were there other complications?

I have been on Fin for 1 &1/2 years and still going strong with it. I am using the generic version (Finastride) that I buy from a Canadian pharmacy, even though I have switched to Propecia for the months where delivery would take long and I would be running low.

Why do you guys feel that 21 is too young for this surgery? Also, should I switch over to Propecia regularly for the time being or stick with the generic version (Finastride)?

I see no reason to switch to propecia. Many people cut proscar, it is the same medicine just a different strength.

At 21, it is hard to make up a long range ht plan because your full balding pattern probably has not developed yet. It is likely that if you need an ht at 21 that you will be high on the nw scale and may not even be a good ht candidate. Also, your hairline at this point could be too low to sustain a good look should you reach advanced levels.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Xtreme,I was young,naive and should have been refused when I was around your age but I was taken advantage of by a bad clinic in the Uk, with poor results and wasted money.

You are fortunate that you are member of this site as the surgeons recommended on here are honest,ethical surgeons who will turn you away if they see you as inappropriate for surgery and the surgeons you have listed above are all very good, so you won't have the same problem I had.

You got any pictures of your hair currently?

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

• 2 weeks later...

Dr Konior..hands down. Also as far as cost, I know for a fact that he will put extra grafts in at no cost. He is not only a superb doctor, but extremley ethical. He may see you and decide to put you on meds for a period to see if you can avoid surgery. That is what sets him apart... Just my humble opinion

good luck

You can't go wrong with the 3 recommended surgeons in Illinois! Drs. Konior, Panine, and Keller are putting out some of the most impressive results these days.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

You can't go wrong with the 3 recommended surgeons in Illinois! Drs. Konior, Panine, and Keller are putting out some of the most impressive results these days.

Agree that these are three great choices to consult with.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1