Hair Loss Cure? The Hair Stem Cell Transplant Procedure (The "Gho Procedure")

Thanks for the update!

Interesting to see Dr. Gho removing grafts from below the previous FUT scar. It looks like the extractions may have been beyond the universal donor area, and, in theory, these grafts should be more susceptible to DHT. However, it could have just appeared that way because of the placement of the previous FUT scar.

Is that gentlemen (Gerard Josling) very famous in Europe?

I read about the guy in wikipedia and he seems pretty famous in netherlands.

im not sure about the extraction site since im not expert, but other than the strip scar, i think his donor right after the third HST looks pretty impressive and dosen't look like he had 3 HST done at all.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sgs,

And Dr. Gho is hoping to make his procedure effective and marketable enough to sell his procedure as well.

Nobody is denying that physicians want to make money. The implication behind Finhairloss' post was that the publishers of this community are attempting to suppress discussion about potentially new treatments in order to sell hair transplants. This is simply not the case. This community embraces the latest proven treatments and also recommends physicians that are outstanding at performing them. If Dr. Gho's procedure is eventually proven as or more effective than current methods, we'll begin prescreening and recommend the best physicians at performing that procedure as well.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill,

If this is the case, then I truly do apologize. However, you may not be suppressing new treatments (even this is questionable), but you do not seem to promote them. Past downplaying every piece of information on Gho, you guys have not done much, you definitely haven't promoted it or really discussed it. Anybody who publishes the end-all-be-all study of HST will have an amazing amount of internet viewer hits, and thusly ad revenue. Basically, every bald person on earth with internet access will come across your published article/findings/video. You guys should go for it, instead of standing on the sidelines when we have an OBVIOUSLY intriguing possibility on our hands... that is, if you're truly here to promote discussion and the like. You are, aren't you?

-F'ing Hair Loss

Interesting to see Dr. Gho removing grafts from below the previous FUT scar. It looks like the extractions may have been beyond the universal donor area, and, in theory, these grafts should be more susceptible to DHT. However, it could have just appeared that way because of the placement of the previous FUT scar.

Interesting to see Future_HT_doc zeroing in on this. It looks like he is ignoring many other possible observations, and, in theory, is not being very educational. However, it could have just appeared that way because of the word and theme choices in his previous posts.

Bill,

If this is the case, then I truly do apologize. However, you may not be suppressing new treatments (even this is questionable), but you do not seem to promote them. Past downplaying every piece of information on Gho, you guys have not done much, you definitely haven't promoted it or really discussed it. Anybody who publishes the end-all-be-all study of HST will have an amazing amount of internet viewer hits, and thusly ad revenue. Basically, every bald person on earth with internet access will come across your published article/findings/video. You guys should go for it, instead of standing on the sidelines when we have an OBVIOUSLY intriguing possibility on our hands... that is, if you're truly here to promote discussion and the like. You are, aren't you?

-F'ing Hair Loss

Fin,

We've researched the procedure various times, I've written a fairly detailed article about the operation, we've hosted a healthy discussion, and I've invited Dr. Gho to come share his point of view. Frankly, I'm not sure what else we can do. We can't publish the "end-all-be-all" study of HST if it doesn't exist, and everything we try to produce doesn't seem to meet your standards of how individuals should react to the procedure. At this point, it seems like we can't do anything (besides hanging a banner and supporting nothing besides HST) to properly "capitalize" on the opportunity (in your opinion).

Seems like we may be at a loss here. You think HST is here and should immediately replace any form of FUE/FUT, and we seem to think that while the procedure is exciting and possesses a lot of potential, it (as of now) doesn't produce results on par with modern hair transplantation. Maybe it will eventually become the gold standard, but this simply hasn't happened yet.

Interesting to see Future_HT_doc zeroing in on this. It looks like he is ignoring many other possible observations, and, in theory, is not being very educational. However, it could have just appeared that way because of the word and theme choices in his previous posts.

One observation of the many I've made. I personally find it just as interesting that you focused on one potentially negative thing I've said, opposed to the many positive aspects of the procedure I've touched upon (the huge potential, obvious benefits with regard to donor regeneration, the impressive journal of dermatological surgery article, the lack of traditional scarring, etc).

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

FinHairLoss,

The publishers of this community are not going to embrace and recommend a procedure with questionable results just because there's some interest and excitement about it. This will most likely change if enough evidence comes forward that Hair Stem Cell Transplantation produces results on par with and/or better with other well-accepted procedures.

Note that the publishers of this community only report on hair restoration news. It's up to the members of this community to continue discussing it.

The publishers have researched and presented material on the "GHO procedure" on our popular Hair Loss Q&A Blog and have started and encouraged continued discussion about it on our hair loss forum. We have also polled leading hair restoration physicians to provide their input on the procedure, including Dr. Gho himself. Moreover, we've sent out a newsletter encouraging others to join in the discussion/debate. But until more more information becomes available, we have nothing more to present at this time. However, you are welcome to continue discussing it.

Regards,

Bill

Finhairloss,

Besides, if you think you have more information than we do, by all means, you are free to present it. We do encourage the free exchange of information on any and all hair loss and/or restoration related treatments.

You seem to have a gross misunderstanding and negative opinion about our community if you truly think we're preventing the discussion about alternative and/or new treatments. But if you really believe this, what are you still doing here?

I've already told you that you are free to present information related to whatever treatment you'd like. Also, if you do have additional and wortwhile information you think we're missing, you are free to contact me privately and I'll be happy to evaluate and consider presenting it. But frankly, I'm done trying to convince you that we're open to presenting any and all hair restoration related news. There's more than enough evidence to prove I'm right and you're wrong. Thus, if you continue making false claims about our community, I will be suspending your posting privileges.

Bill

Actually i appreciate the fact that this community is discussing this procedure with an open mind mentality, unlike some other doctors who are just ignoring all evidence and just try to insult Gho and claim that he is a scammer without providing any scientific evidence to support their opinion or even bothering to view the scientific peers provided by Gho and the strong facts in favor of HST.*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

Just wanna let u know that i had my procedure 3 weeks ago, im still not home so i won't be able to upload pictures since i only have ipad with me, but i will be welling to answer questions for now.

Thanks god, Im really pleased with the experience so far, so let's hope it remains like that.

My op was performed *by Dr. Gho in Amsterdam and below are some details:

1) During my email consultation, they guaranteed that they can do atleast 1200-1400 grafts with the possibility of adding more grafts depending on my donor. Luckely, on the treatment day they said my donor is good enough and they were able to extract 2080 grafts.*

2) Only one technician did the extraction and she was done pretty fast.*

3) Dr. Gho did the hair line and the holes.

4) 2 technicians at a time placed the grafts

5) the op covered the hairline and mid scalp area.

6) they placed some grafts between existing har on the back to make the result natural if i lose more hair in future, and i was concerned about shockloss since some of my native hair is kinda thin but they told me there will be no shockloss and ever since they started doing HST they never had any case who experienced shockloss (they sounded pretty confident about this)

7) The treatment went smoothly and everybody in the clinic were very nice and professional.

8) I was told that i can always come for more treatments and that there is somebody who had 8 procedures so far with no issue and can have more.

9) Dr. Gho was in Jakerta, Indonesia just before my op, and they are expecting to open their clinic there this year.

10) There is a plan to open a new clinic in Dubai, UAE in the coming 2 years.

11) Recovery time was better than i expected, i didn't have swelling and by day 4 post op (op is day 0) i was able to go out without a hat with no evidence that i had an HT, even the scabs kinda blind in.

12) all scabs were gone by day 9.

13) im 3 weeks post op and many of the new hair did not fall yet, and im pretty happy for that since i still have a hairline that frames my face and look way better than i did pre op. Maybe some/many of the new hair already shed but i cant notice since my hair is short.

14) i shaved the back and sides before yesterday to grade 1/2 with no visible scars.

As for the final result i guess it's still too early to judge. I hope all goes well.

Nice to see hear it all went smoothly Aimforhair and be good if you could make a new thread regarding your whole experience with Dr Gho when you are back.

I am sure others will interested in this case.

Personally, I am skeptical about number 6 as no surgeon in the world would guarantee that.

If someone has had 8 procedures from him, that would be even better to see how the recipient area looks and the hypothetical negligble scarring and regeneration of the donor supply.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Nice to see hear it all went smoothly Aimforhair and be good if you could make a new thread regarding your whole experience with Dr Gho when you are back.

I am sure others will interested in this case.

Personally, I am skeptical about number 6 as no surgeon in the world would guarantee that.

If someone has had 8 procedures from him, that would be even better to see how the recipient area looks and the hypothetical negligble scarring and regeneration of the donor supply.

Thanks chrisdav, i'll share images once im back.

As for number 6, they guranteed that for me verbally, actually they didn't have to add any graft between native hair since i was going for hairline and mid scalp but they did to make things look natural and when i raised my concern they gave me that gurantee.

So far i beleive there is no shockloss but with short hair it's hard to tell for sure. If there should be any shockloss when does it happen usually ??

Aim,

Congratulations! I'm really looking forward to following your experience. It will be great to have an actual HST case presented on the community.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 year later...

Moath,

Thus far, evidence is scarce. Frankly, I still do not think I've seen a start to finish documented case of HST online. I believe donor doubling is theoretically sound, but I still haven't seen a lot of objective concrete examples from Dr. Gho's clinic.

Moath,

Thus far, evidence is scarce. Frankly, I still do not think I've seen a start to finish documented case of HST online. I believe donor doubling is theoretically sound, but I still haven't seen a lot of objective concrete examples from Dr. Gho's clinic.

blake,

did you see the study conducted by italian scientists about donor doubling?

they had almost 70% regeneration rate for both lower and upper half

and they did grow terminal hair with a caliber better than the original hair donor

would be nice to hear your opinion

Hi Mari,

Yes, I read that study. Interesting stuff! I probably sound like a broken record, but I still believe donor doubling will be the next "futuristic" treatment available to hair loss sufferers. Several physicians already experiment with it, and I think it is far more feasible (for the time being) than hair multiplication or any sort of injectable growth serum.

However, I think I interpreted the hair shaft caliber aspect of the study differently. I could be mistaken, but I think the authors found the following: implanting an entire follicle (i.e. regular FUE) led to a follicular unit with hair shaft caliber 96% the size of the original shaft (before it was implanted), whereas the bisected halves both grew a shaft approximately 70% the width of the original shaft. This means the bisected grafts grew thinner hairs.

Here is the statement from the actual article: "We found that the hairs regenerated from the entire follicle were 96.1 +/- 0.2% with respect to the original donor hairs (100%). The new hairs obtained from the bisected follicles were slightly finer than the donor hairs, although we found no difference between the regenerated hairs derived from the upper (75.3 +/- 8.2%) or lower (74.4 +/- 4.1%) portion."

I remember discussing donor doubling with Dr. Reed a few years back. He told me about experiments in the mid 1990s where he was able to successfully split a follicle into the two regions of stem cell activity and grow two functional follicles. However, he ran into the same issue: the "doubled" follicle always grew a much finer hair.

It looks like this will either become a reality of the procedure or something necessary to figure out and overcome!

I actually plan on experimenting with a variety of donor doubling protocols in my future practice. It would be fantastic, in my opinion, to come up with a reliable method of doubling because it would really expand what we can accomplish with hair transplant surgery!

blake,

that's why dr mwamba said that applying of growth factors like fgf 9 would increase the

caliber of regenerated hair , also the chinese scientists from shantou university used wnt5a

in thier experiment

i hope you can try longitude bisection because every half contains dsc cells and dp cells

thanks and i hope the best for you

Hi Mari,

Yeah, I understand why Dr. Mwamba believes growth factors may be crucial. However, I'm not the biggest fan. I think there are a lot of potential issues when it comes to using growth factors. I also believe there will be HUGE safety hurdles to overcome if growth factors are integrated into the procedure. Dr. Aaron Gardner shared similar sentiments when asked about adding growth factors to his work.

Longitudinal section could be ideal. However, it may prove very difficult. The advantage of invitro bisectioning, in my opinion, is the ability to visualize the entire pilosebaceous unit and divide it into the two areas of stem cell activity. Longitudinal sectioning is a blinded procedure, and I think this may cause yield to suffer.

However, it is an interesting prospect. I'll make sure to keep the community updated!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

I had HST... You can see the results in the my photo album

Currently (after ten months after the HT) I'm waiting for the second treatment. It's set on September 9th 2014.

It is difficult to argue about the regrows of hairs in the donor area, probably it should be studied under a microscope, but I can assert that i haven't scars at all.

Sorry for my terrible English :)

Hi guys

I had HST... You can see the results in the my photo album

Currently (after ten months after the HT) I'm waiting for the second treatment. It's set on September 9th 2014.

It is difficult to argue about the regrows of hairs in the donor area, probably it should be studied under a microscope, but I can assert that i haven't scars at all.

Sorry for my terrible English :)

• 1 year later...