St. Louis Surgeon?

I am currently looking for a reputable surgeon in the St. Louis are. Has anyone had any procedures done in that area? I had a wonderful hairline and density procedure by Dr Konior 2008, but have moved a bit south. I am now looking to add more density to the frontal region. Thanks for the help in advance.

Midwest,

While we currently don't recommend any surgeons in St. Louis or Missouri in general, we do represent some excellent physicians in Illinois. I know it's probably a bit of a drive, but I truly believe traveling for a state of the art hair transplant is worth it.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the advice. After a lot of research it seems like Dr. Samuels is IAHRS board certified and most experienced in the area? I also think he was recommended on this site at onetime but cant see why he is not anymore. A thread a couple years back stating he was recommended on this site but did not have a lot of results posted- but then again I have not seen any terrible experiences by anyone either. Any more info would be great. I have also found a Hans Wiemman and PAI medical that seem to either have bad reviews or outdated procedures.

here is the link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/155001-dr-lawrence-samuels-st-louis.html

Go back to Konior! What are you thinking? Especially if you are pleased with the work he has already done for you.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Stay with Dr. Konior, even if it costs you more and takes more time! He did great work for you the first time and this is a lifetime decision. Stick with the sure thing and do not take any risks with this procedure when you don't have to. I have actually scheduled my second procedure with Dr. Konior and could not imagine letting anyone else touch my head!

Go back to Konior! What are you thinking? Especially if you are pleased with the work he has already done for you.

+1! Dr. Konior is top notch, plus it really isn't that far of a drive to the Chicagoland area. I'm further south than you (North Mississippi), and I think it is right at 900 miles for me. Or you could always fly right into Chicago/O'hare Airport. Please do NOT trust anyone not recommended on this board.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Midwest,

I'm actually uncertain if Dr. Samuels was ever recommended at our site. If he was, it was definitely "before my time." :D

While he does seem dedicated, I agree with other members recommending Dr. Konior (or any of our other excellent physicians in Illinois). Definitely worth the trip!

Thanks for the advice. After a lot of research it seems like Dr. Samuels is IAHRS board certified and most experienced in the area? I also think he was recommended on this site at onetime but cant see why he is not anymore. A thread a couple years back stating he was recommended on this site but did not have a lot of results posted- but then again I have not seen any terrible experiences by anyone either. Any more info would be great. I have also found a Hans Wiemman and PAI medical that seem to either have bad reviews or outdated procedures.

here is the link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/155001-dr-lawrence-samuels-st-louis.html

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 3 months later...

Dr. Samuels is a member of IAHRS - so I was strongly leaning for a HT from him. I am very new to the procedure (just doing research the last couple of weeks) - after visiting Bosley and a local doctor (in Nebraska) and researching the net I was leaning towards someone recommended by IAHRS. Any feedback on what I should do/who I should use (as close to Nebraska as possible) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have been unable to get any info on this as well. It seems he was recommended at some point. Click the link below to see some info.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/155001-dr-lawrence-samuels-st-louis.html

I am also very interested in hearing from some of his patients. One of the moderators ”Bill” says that he is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network for performing high quality follicular unit hair transplantation. But the above post was in 2008.

Hi Midwest,

Although I didn't start moderating here until 2010, I've been a member/read the boards since 2008/2009, and I still don't remember a time when Dr. Samuels was recommended. However, in the post you shared, Bill does make it sound like he was recommended here at one time.

I'll investigate this further and let you know what I find out.

However, at this point in time, I still definitely recommend a trip to IL to see some of our recommended physicians there.

Thanks Blake. Much appreciated that you would look into this. Lookin forward to learning more hopefully.

I did dig a little deeper and found the link below. Seems like he prefers several small sessions over larger ones as most of the patients have 2 sessions but not a large number of grafts.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Share-info/hair_transplant_patient.asp?PatientID=436&DrID=55

Midwest,

Did you get a chance to look at any of the IL surgeons? They are truly excellent.

Additionally, I'm emailing Bill right now about Dr. Samuels.

Blake, if you were to recommend a couple/three HT doctors in order of preference, what would that be? Thanks.

In the Midwest?

Midwest would be good; or any place you feel would be best (as it seems many feel location should not be important) - flying to a different city/state and flying across the country isn't that much different I guess.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Midwest,

Dr. Samuels used to be recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. As part of an ongoing review process, surgeons we recommend are required to present updated examples of their results. Back in 2008, Dr. Samuels' recommendation was discontinued because we felt that the examples of results he sent us at that time didn't meet our strict criteria to continue his recommendation.

That said, it's been several years and I'd be very interested to see the kind of results he's regularly producing today. If anyone here has had surgery with Dr. Samuels and would like to share their experiences and results, I encourage them to do so.

Best wishes,

Bill

Midwest,

Just so you are aware, there is no such thing as "IAHRS board certified". Only the ABHRS (American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery) "board certifies" physicians, although the value of the board certification has been heavily debated. The IAHRS (International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgery) is an organization that prescreens and recommends hair transplant surgeons based on their own set of standards. In that way, they are similar to us. While I cannot speak for the standards they use to prescreen surgeons, it does appear that their prescreening process is much more private and lacks the kind of transparency and public accountability that ours has.

Best wishes,

Bill

In the midwest the only one that comes to mind is Dr Bradley Wolf (he's not recommended on this site though). Also Shapiro Medical Group in Minnesota. But I would consider him. You should also seriously look into the larger clinics like Hasson and Wong or Rahal if you are looking for a large procedure.

Midwest would be good; or any place you feel would be best (as it seems many feel location should not be important) - flying to a different city/state and flying across the country isn't that much different I guess.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I agree; traveling for a hair transplant procedure can be a good thing, and you shouldn't restrict yourself geographically if it isn't necessary.

Having said that ... you ask a tough question.

What are your hair restoration goals? In my opinion, we represent the "best of the best" here, and it's tough for me to say " go to this doc, he's the man."

However, if you explain, a bit further, what you're looking for, I believe I may be able to narrow the search a bit further. Are you looking for a mega FUT session? Would you prefer FUE? Have you undergone hair transplantation before and now need a repair?

Let me know, and I'll do my best to help you refine the search a bit.

that clarifies things. Much appreciated.

Glad you were able to get the information!

Blake, I am new to HTs (never had one previously) and am researching more each day (glad I found this site as it has great information!). I am looking to try and cover up my balding areas as best as possible - I have an orange-sized bald spot on my crown, thinning hair on top and a bit on the front sides. I have been told I need anywhere from 1800 to 3500 grafts (from a couple of doctors that have seen me) - probably FUT.

Not sure what else I can tell you to help in recommendations; thanks for trying, any help would be truly appreciated!