Scalp Micropigmentation: Is it a Viable Option for Treating Hair Loss?

Hair Loss Treatment: Is Scalp Micropigmentation a Legitimate Hair Restoration Solution?

Scalp micropigmentation has increased in popularity and generated a lot of discussion on this forum. Many may hear the phrase but may not be sure how the procedure works and what its advantages and disdvantages are. Thus, our forum co-moderator and assistant Editor Blake wrote an article on it and it's been published (link above):

What are your thoughts? Does anyone have any experiences with scalp micropigmentation they'd like to share?

Thanks for sharing, Bill. I'm interested to see how SMP progresses as surgical/medical hair restoration continues improving. It will be interesting to see whether or not it's used more and more as an adjunct treatment, or if it doesn't quite "catch on" like other modalities before it. Altogether, I do feel like it's a useful therapy in some cases, but, like the article says, it's "not for everyone."

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

To anyone:

What are your thoughts regarding SMP to address FUE white-dot scarring?

Thanks,

z

I believe if they could match your skin color well, then it would be a great option.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Nice article Bill. I do think that since Dr. Rassman is a recommended doc on this site we could ask him to post more SMP pictures. I'm definitely intrigued by inking but haven't seen nearly enough patient examples for me to consider it - especially ones with hair grown out.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I believe if they could match your skin color well, then it would be a great option.

Hmm... Are you approaching it from the angle of the SMP practitioner filling the white-dot scarring with a flesh colored ink which matches one's skin tone?

If so, that's an interesting perspective. However, I was thinking about it more like ink that matches the color of one's hair being used to mimic the look of zero guard length hairs filling the white dots thereby "breaking up" the scars and creating the illusion of greater donor density. The white scars would still be there, but much harder to see.

Found on Dr. Rassman's NHI site, here's an example of SMP in FUE white-dot scarring in the way I've described:

http://www.scalpmicropigment.com/?page_id=73&album=3&gallery=25&pid=9999

It looks a little harsh, but the pics were taken immediately post-procedure, so the ink will probably soften over time. Certainly an improvement.

z

Edited by zenmunk

However, I was thinking about it more like ink that matches the color of one's hair being used to mimic the look of zero guard length hairs filling the white dots thereby "breaking up" the scars and creating the illusion of greater donor density. The white scars would still be there, but much harder to see.

This is what I assumed as well.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I have always thought of micropigment my scar but had too many second thoughts. Bill, do you think Micropigment my scar is better than FUE grafts into it. I have to follow one of these two paths after my strip scar revision next year.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Scalp micropigmentation has increased in popularity and generated a lot of discussion on this forum. Many may hear the phrase but may not be sure how the procedure works and what its advantages and disdvantages are. Thus, our forum co-moderator and assistant Editor Blake wrote an article on it and it's been published at:

Hair Loss Treatment: Is Scalp Micropigmentation a Legitimate Hair Restoration Solution?

What are your thoughts? Does anyone have any experiences with scalp micropigmentation they'd like to share?

I did the micropigmentation with HIS back in oct 2011 and I'm thrilled with the results.

I realize that hair transplants are a wonderful option for many people yet after researching HT and hearing that I needed 2 and possibly 3 hair transplants over a 2 or 3 year period at a cost of 12 to 15 thousand dollars a session and it wasn't for me...

I have had nothing but positive comments about my new look and I no longer have to deal with courve or toppik...

Care is easy...its basically shave with an electric rotary razor every day or two...takes about 2 minutes...

If people want to look as if they have a full head of hair and decided to shave it off for that clean crisp look.. HIS MHT has been a great choice to make.

Good luck deciding and again ..this is not a replacment for hair transplants...

Its a really different solution to male pattern baldness that looks totally natural...

I have always thought of micropigment my scar but had too many second thoughts. Bill, do you think Micropigment my scar is better than FUE grafts into it. I have to follow one of these two paths after my strip scar revision next year.

Hey All,

Just a thought to share on the micropigmentation tatooing of the scalp vs. FUE. Like anything in hair restoration individual cases are very unique. Your natural hair and skin color can have a lot to do with if the tatooing is worthwhile. FUE in the instance describes seems like a better option providing that your test area show that donor hair harvesting in this procedure will be optimal for you. Always an evaluation by your hair restoration surgeon will be the best option in moving forward with your decision.

Edited by michaeljames
grammar

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

If I could add my two cents at this stage, I would say the prognosis for best-case SMP, whilst clearly relative to skin color and hair color as well as length, is from best to worst, on a scale of 1 (bad) - 5 (good)

5 - Hiding and blending FUE dots, thus allowing more aggressive harvesting protocol

4 - Adding a background for existing growth in crowns and regions behind hairline**

3 - For lessening strip scars with hair

2 - For lessening strip scars without hair

1 - Creating hairlines or natural frames for the face where hair is scarce or non-existent

Personally, I think most of the white shaven heads I see on HIS and elsewhere look odd, but I could well be among them soon enough, if I am forced to buzz really close again.

And it looks blue, on my lame white and pink skin not because it fades; Brand new, it looks blue in some kinds of light, especially without hair.

** But don't think you can ask them to halt short of the hairline and graduate - well, you can say it, but they can't/won't IMHO (take that with a grain, pound of salt) . What in effect happens, wherever they 'stop', your new hairline will be, so you may actually look more receded after SMP if you ask them to stop short of your hairline. Catch 22, 'cause if they do go out front, will it be a line?

Edited by scar5

Hey All,

Just a thought to share on the micropigmentation tatooing of the scalp vs. FUE. Like anything in hair restoration individual cases are very unique. Your natural hair and skin color can have a lot to do with if the tatooing is worthwhile. FUE in the instance describes seems like a better option providing that your test area show that donor hair harvesting in this procedure will be optimal for you. Always an evaluation by your hair restoration surgeon will be the best option in moving forward with your decision.

Fue is if you want to grow hair. Micropigmentation is really for the short crisp shadow look....

Looks awesome if you dig the short shadow look. If you prefer long flowing locks of hair...the FUE hair transplant is in my opinion a much much better way to go.

The MHT really looks great with a closely shaved head...but as the surrounding hair grows for more than lets say 3 or 4 days ...the MHT loses its effectiveness and even someone as pro MHT as myself would suggest....MHT with surrounding hair growing for 4 days? you can see the difference...

Like I suggested earlier if you want a shadow short crisp look...I'd say MHT is great..

Want growing hair...FUE is the right choice to make.

Hey All,

Fue is if you want to grow hair. Micropigmentation is really for the short crisp shadow look....

Looks awesome if you dig the short shadow look. If you prefer long flowing locks of hair...the FUE hair transplant is in my opinion a much much better way to go.

The MHT really looks great with a closely shaved head...but as the surrounding hair grows for more than lets say 3 or 4 days ...the MHT loses its effectiveness and even someone as pro MHT as myself would suggest....MHT with surrounding hair growing for 4 days? you can see the difference...

Like I suggested earlier if you want a shadow short crisp look...I'd say MHT is great..

Want growing hair...FUE is the right choice to make.

Fue is if you want to grow hair. Micropigmentation is really for the short crisp shadow look....Looks awesome

You know JonB, thanks for your thoughts. It is quite interesting that you say a three day growth is longer than optimal for SMP. I think this is contrary to just about everyone's hope here on HTN (Of course I speak for all and one! lol) But to be a tad serous, I know you are expressing a personal opinion, which is great but I'd say this about the above. Some of us think - he says - 'some' as in 'we'...

a) We don't want to make a choice between FUE and SMP, we want to COMBINE them and GROW hair!

b) We don't think the skinhead with SMP looks good. We think it looks unnatural and sometimes even ridiculous and, furthermore, in certain light, BLUE!

c)We think that long flowing locks of hair is the stuff of mega sessions, and not even FUE, perhaps - horror - even strip.

d) We are really dubious about SMP on may levels - and I say that, having done it! And perhaps doing more.

I think you are really lucky that your characteristics work so well for SMP. Without scars on your head, it must definitely help. I think a lot of people who complain about the 2 dimensional aspect of SMP temporarily and inexplicably forget that a shaven head does have a faint greyish hue under the skin's surface.

Scar,

İ am thinking about it for a few days now and posted some questions on the smp thread whic dr rassman involved.

İf we talk in terms of ht, we all see that the smp is always applied with a same density as the sides. This as johnb said surely create weird look after 3-4 days. But what if you apply smp to have a dffuse thinner look? Some people (like myself) can life with a diffuse thinning look and still look good bald. İ asked rassman about this but havent got an answer.

O course , to support it fue is the best idea for this.

Scar,

İ am thinking about it for a few days now and posted some questions on the smp thread whic dr rassman involved.

İf we talk in terms of ht, we all see that the smp is always applied with a same density as the sides. This as johnb said surely create weird look after 3-4 days. But what if you apply smp to have a dffuse thinner look? Some people (like myself) can life with a diffuse thinning look and still look good bald. İ asked rassman about this but havent got an answer.

O course , to support it fue is the best idea for this.

Azazelegs,

Good luck my friend. Be prepared for some smooth spin from the 'good doc'. And I mean that in the best possible way, as a businessman (not) myself.

Here's what I think.

1) Inside the world of micropigmentation, permanent make-up and tattoo, etc. exists a person with the talent, technique and the tools to create a masterpiece of ink and disguise on your head including all the things we want, like graduations, asymmetry, accents etc. the lot.

2) The likelihood of that person being a person you (or I) meet is extremely low

3) In the event of meeting that person being in a commercial operation such as micropigmentation clinic for hair-heads like us, they will not bring their talents to the task of inking your scalp, within the limited and regimented production line necessary for them to function as part of a business that needs to be competitive.

4) They will work fast and economically and won't even bother switching tones until the tank runs out, if they bother switching tones at all. more likely, they will say, let's go with 'x' and 'see how we go with that', then when you come in later we can try, 'y'. this is not how a painter - an artist works! And it is the latter we want

5) They, just like all the technicians in these clinics, will employ a safe, rated G, mass production protocol that is time tested, and guaranteed to limit problems and complaints down the road, that gives them and their clinics the most room to maneuver in the future. They will not risk doing the stuff.

6) you will have some choice, but it will be simply model A, model B or model C

And what does all this nonsense mean.

a) They will FILL in a space with dots, top to bottom, left to right

b) they may pay special attention to problem areas, but only reactively

c) You will be sold a dream, an escape from jail, and then a compromise

d) It will improve massively in ten years and before too long, we will sold the line, 'it has improved so much since way back in 2012'

scar,

i really love your posts my friend , always very informative and always makes sense.

i totally agree with your first two points. thats why im never gonna choose HIS. what i see on the web and what i see in person when im at their london clinic varies a lot.

on the other hand , in goodlook ink and nhi, the chances of metting that artist is higher. as far as i know gli does.only 1 client in one day where in nhi dr.pak is the only obe who does the procedure.i might be wrong about this but its worth checking out.

scar,

always great posts my friend , tatally agree with you.

for your first and second points , that is the exact reason why i wont go to HIS clinic. they results vary depending on the "technician" (we cant say "artists for some employees al over the world right?:) ) a lot.

however , the chances of meeting that good artist is higher if you choose to gli or nhi. as far as i know , good look ink does only one client a day and in nhi dr.pak does the procedure. i might be wrong byt its worth asking.

now i think of an idea : can we just go to gli, open their own web site with who is arranging the procedure and say " i want the technician who did this to work on my scalp and noone else." in ht , we choose a doctor. we choose him because of his results ,consistency and artisty. many of us travel many km's just to have his procedure at that specific doctorn why not we choose in smp? all we see in their comercials are representatives , managers etc. how about the one who DOES the procedure? if we ask something like that , would they be completely honest and professional and allows to choose the artist or just say " every practioner is same" bla bla? i seriously doubt that.

, would they be completely honest and professional and allows to choose the artist or just say " every practioner is same" bla bla? i seriously doubt that.

I don't doubt that places like GLI and AC are more than happy to tell you about their artist and that you can see many pictures performed by that particular technician - or artist. (Let's call it artist)

But here's the thing. If a person was paid a million bucks to do your head and had you in a studio day in day out for six months, they could do a superb job, I have no doubt.

But we are talking about drive-thru here. These guys can't afford to do anything else with you other than sit you down, draw the lines and start-a-fillin' like a gas stand attendant at the pump filling up your tank. They fill until they hit the boundaries they drew on your head. It's not rocket science or high art.

Even if their approach that deserved the highest praise for delicacy and attention to detail, and even if they brought every ounce of their experience and judgment to bare on your scalp - how much can they do in a few hours.

For a start, the ink fades substantially within four days, and then you are only beginning to tell how it settled. But is there a test patch? No...

What they'll do instead, is go for full-coverage straight up, but their caution, which is good, comes with the 'go light' first up policy, see how it settles and then consider it from there. But you are already covered with ink and the lines they have drawn are the lines you will have, unless you directly ask them to change them, and would you? Once knowing that they are after all, 'lines'

And the graduated front? I've seen one or two that look good. One from Rassman, one from HIS (and I don't doubt that GLI are capable) but all the rest, sharp lines and unnatural concrete delineation between 'hair' and skin tone. Why? They say the patients like hip-hop or some crap like that. Really, c'mon, it is just because it isn't economic or risk-worthy to do anything else than 'fill in' - at least that is what I've seen so far.

So I agree, GLI and AC and HIS will offer you techs with mileage, especially the first two, and some of HIS' techs are more experienced as real tattooists too.

For the real high art, forget it. The system levels the playing field, dumbing down the capable artists by making them work within a regimented set of parameters. Making them not much better than the guy who goes to HIS, is impressed, and then decides to join the franchise himself. And why not?

I don't doubt that the stars of these companies are capable of great things, but I just don't see a three to six hour session producing a masterpiece that lasts the test of time and meets the expectations guys hope for it and that includes close inspection and nasty elevator lights.

So in general, yeah, go to the guy who has a track record (how one can prove it, I have no idea because I can move a camera a mm and get a completely different set of tones and textures)

• 2 months later...

I think micropigmentation and also permanent make up is great it was perfect for my lack of eyebrows and eyeliner. Our office also has SMP for our hair transplant patients who have experienced scarring or previous troubles from other places. We see alot of them. But we also do permanent eyebrows which is also a problem we see.