Bald and in College

Hello everyone, I'm twenty years old and balding. I've been balding since I was 16, but started taking propecia/rogaine two years ago(20 now) and since my hair loss has stabilized and I've actually got some back.

Being in college with noticeable hair loss is obviously a huge deal; it really sucks to look 10 or 15 years older- always being mistaken for a senior or graduate student, but I'm sure you know the story.

My question is, what age is the 'ideal' to get a hair transplant?

I've spent hours on this forum, doctor's sites, and other forums about hair loss and I know that getting hair transplants at my age are not a good idea..wait till the hair loss has stabilized etc etc, but at what age would it be a good idea to go ahead and get one?

Assuming my hair loss has stabilized what are the benefits of waiting?

Is there any foreseeable technology in the next five years that would be worth waiting for?

And lastly.. how much do you think I would be able to get back..pictures attached.

Thanks for taking time to read this

top1.jpg.87c592e9377169ed6ebeadc92fd151b1.jpg

side1.jpg.5e626edb5f1f874dec6507458a2584d0.jpg

side2.jpg.2985c56955a78ed0c1cb8dacb46d5410.jpg

I would try to hold out as long as possible but since you say the Propecia and Rogaine have stabilized your hair loss there might be some surgeons who would be comfortable restoring your receded hairline. It the rest of your hair fine? If you were diffuse thinning behind your hairline and in the crown it might be a different story. Just know that once you get the first procedure your likely going to need a 2nd or 3rd to keep up with the loss if your pattern is aggressive.

That is very fast hair loss from 16 to 20. I too started losing hair near the end of my high school years, but luckily things tapered quickly, and medication really added benefits!

Since you are at such a young age and losing hair rather rapidly, you should really consider taking 1 mg Finasteride daily. Either that, or go for the bad boy and get a physician to prescribe Avodart 0.5 daily. Losing hair at that rate at only 20 is serious, I'm sorry to say!

I started losing hair at about 17, and had my first transplant (albeit mini/micrografts) at 21-22, and I am now 41. Since I started meds about 2-1/2 years ago, I have had huge changes in density. Just tonight, my wife was combing through my scalp and mentioned that she couldn't see my scalp. That is a HUGE victory for me!!

That said, it's never too late to start meds! If it works for me, it should definitely work for you! Good luck to you!!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

The most important thing is to stay on propecia as long as you can. Don't get freaked out by all the fear mongering out there. If I were you I would consult with a number of world-class surgeons (Konior, Shapiro bros, H&W, Feller, Rahal, etc.) and see what they have to say. If you have been on Propecia for over two years then some doctors may consider doing a conservative hairline for you. Just don't rush it and do your homework, not just a couple hours of research but rather months and years.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Aaron, has it been your experience that most of the physicians out there will give you an honest opinion on whether or not it is a good time to do the transplant?

I've researched the names you mentioned and have no doubt they are world-class surgeons, but I'm always skeptical when someone serves to make a buck.

Thanks

No doubt that there are some unethical surgeons out there. I think if you meet up with enough of them you'll notice a difference between the ones looking out for your best interest and ones looking at their own pocketbooks. The list of ethical doctors is by no means restricted to the ones I listed for you. Just take your time and develop a discerning eye.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

The great thing to hear is that you feel the loss has stabilized.

Without the meds, you would no doubt be headed for class 7.

It is not so much an age question as it is a stability issue. I would still recommend that you wait it out until you reach your upper twenties. We can never forecast for certain how long meds will work but at least by then you have more history in how you respond to them, all along the way checking for minituriztion throughout your scalp. For any reason if the meds suddenly stop working before you reach let's say 28, then you will be happy that you did not get started in your early twenties.

If your loss is still stablized, then possibly you can consider starting with a higher more conservative hairline.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I'd definately have a good think about the family history as this should give you a good indication of what's in store.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I have baldness in my family (on my dads side it is just my uncle, but on my mums side all of them are bald) but after 2 years and a month on propecia and minoxidil my hairloss has stabilised and I've had incredible regrowth. It's a scary thought to hear the meds could suddenly stop working for me! How common is it? What is the likelyhood of the medication suddenly not working? I thought I was home and dry with hair loss now, just ideally having a transplant to recover parts of the hair line that was too far gone. But this notion of the body rejecting propecia is a little concerning.

I'm 23 btw.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

For some, propecia has maintained their hair for almost two decades. But if your genetics are too strong the drug will only slow down the loss not completely stop it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, for the most part, finasteride can greatly slow down the rate of progression of MPB in men. Hopefully there will be more data on the long term efficiency of the drug as time rolls on.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY