Photo as Requested

Here is a photo I just took. I believe one can understand why I'm anxious. I still have about five months for the last procedure to mature but I'm concerned even when it matures I'm not going to have enough density for this to look acceptable. I'm wearing a hair piece now which is why the sides are longer. Before anyone comments that the hair piece may be causing the lack of growth, it is has nothing to do with it. It is lace which is very breathable and is only on eight hours during the week not on weekends and is very lose and attached with four clips. I even had Dr. Bernstein in NY confirm this would not cause any issue with growth and many of my stylists clients with more constrictive less breathable hair pieces have had hair transplants with no problems.

What are your opinions?

5b32d22060e0a_HairProgress4-1-2012002.jpg.cceae705a35c8718c17f1d77c3f4bb04.jpg

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you've had a total of 8000 grafts done over 4 surgeries! You are 7 months out since your last procedure with Dr. Shapiro. I can understand why you might be disappointed. After receiving a total of 8000 grafts I would think that you would have very good density and something isn't adding up here for sure.

What does Dr. Shapiro say about it? Do you have any before pics for comparison?

That does not look like 8000 grafts in my honest opinion.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I may have a "before" photo somewhere. I was totally bald except for a thin strip of native hair across the top of my head right in front of the crown. I don't know if this is making a difference in the apperance of the photo but I keep the transplanted hair trimmed short since I'm wearing a hair piece and also there is some grey in it which may look more dense if it is colored. I do have hair where I didn't before. I believe in order for me to be able to remove the hair piece in September the only solution at this point since I've gone through so much to get where I am is to investigate the "hair tattoing". If I feel comfortable with that procedure it may offer the illusion of density by covering up some of the contrast between the hair and scalp that is being seen now through the low density of the hair transplant. Thoughts?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I would have thought if he did have any shock loss that the hair would have started to grow back by now, but I could be wrong.

I am confident though if he had 8000 grafts performed just by Shapiro, your hair would definitely look better than it is currently.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I may have a "before" photo somewhere. I was totally bald except for a thin strip of native hair across the top of my head right in front of the crown. I don't know if this is making a difference in the apperance of the photo but I keep the transplanted hair trimmed short since I'm wearing a hair piece and also there is some grey in it which may look more dense if it is colored. I do have hair where I didn't before. I believe in order for me to be able to remove the hair piece in September the only solution at this point since I've gone through so much to get where I am is to investigate the "hair tattoing". If I feel comfortable with that procedure it may offer the illusion of density by covering up some of the contrast between the hair and scalp that is being seen now through the low density of the hair transplant. Thoughts?

What color would you do for the hair tatooing? I think that only makes sense if you have darker hair and wish to keep it cut extremely short. Have you spoken to Dr. Shapiro about this? I feel for you, after 4 procedures you really should be at a better point than you are.

If I were you I would ditch the hair piece and let your hair grow out on the top and cut it shorter on the sides and in the back. Wearing a hair piece during the week must be a chore and would really get on my nerves... but that's just me.

Hi StaggerLee123,I\

I had a consultation with Good Look Ink while in Minneapolis for my last surgery. I was somewhat impressed with their work and what they had to say. There was one question they couldn't answer and that was if the tattooing could be removed if for some reason it needed to be without damaging the hair follicle. They said they would have no trouble matching my color. Dr. Shapiro is taking a wait and see attitude with hair tattooing. He sees where it could benefit some in my situation. I would love to ditch the piece but I'm not one of the lucky guys who looks good with very little hair.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

You're not being fair to yourself to expect anything more. Your hair is very short, it is flat and spread out in opposite directions and you are outside in brutal sunlight. There is absolutely NO WAY that your hair will look full in these conditions. You should allow the hair to grow longer, learn what the sweet spot for length is and find the style that works best.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

You're not being fair to yourself to expect anything more. Your hair is very short, it is flat and spread out in opposite directions and you are outside in brutal sunlight. There is absolutely NO WAY that your hair will look full in these conditions. You should allow the hair to grow longer, learn what the sweet spot for length is and find the style that works best.

You could be right. I may be too hard on myself. You are right the hair is very short and flat. However, I am out in sunlight a lot so these are normal daily conditions that my hair will experience in every day life. I suppose after I color it, possilby get the tattooing, and style it the right way the density may appear thicker. I'm still not sure what to do about the sunlight issue. That is something I can't avoid.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Let me put it this way. I've got over 9400 grafts with Dr. Wong and several hundred more from before Dr. Wong. When my hair is short like yours ( one inch?) and I'm outside in the sun my hair looks far thinner than when it has some length. Being out in sunlight may be normal conditions for you but not with that hair style and length you have now. Your end goal was/is to be able to remove the hair piece and you can only do that once the HT has had time to grow in, get to a reasonable length, and get it styled. It will never be as full as any hair system as most hair systems try to recreate original or close to original density but your result can be far better than ANY hair system due to a natural appearance and far less maintenance.

In my opinion you should cut your hair on the sides and let the top grow out sans piece and work with a stylist to find the best style for you. Length and style are everything and will make or break a hair transplant. Period.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I'd be disappointed too if that's all that nearly 8000 grafts gave me. You should have much more hair than that.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Let me put it this way. I've got over 9400 grafts with Dr. Wong and several hundred more from before Dr. Wong. When my hair is short like yours ( one inch?) and I'm outside in the sun my hair looks far thinner than when it has some length. Being out in sunlight may be normal conditions for you but not with that hair style and length you have now. Your end goal was/is to be able to remove the hair piece and you can only do that once the HT has had time to grow in, get to a reasonable length, and get it styled. It will never be as full as any hair system as most hair systems try to recreate original or close to original density but your result can be far better than ANY hair system due to a natural appearance and far less maintenance.

In my opinion you should cut your hair on the sides and let the top grow out sans piece and work with a stylist to find the best style for you. Length and style are everything and will make or break a hair transplant. Period.

That makes sense and makes me feel better. The maintenance of a hairpiece is not fun. It looks pretty darn realistic but still a pain. I want to be done with it.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Joe is right that you are showing us your transplanted hair at its worst. However, I still believe that Epstein set you back big time. Such an unfortunate situation to get these kind of results with a previously recommended surgeon - I know how it feels.

Best thing to do is to let your hair grow out and see what you can make of it - like Joe said. Try different styles, products, concealers, etc. and see where it takes you. If you still don't like where you are at then I would consider the following:

1) Cut your losses and move on with a killer piece. It may not be fun to maintain but at least it'll provide you the density you desire.

2) Try shaving down and get the inking done. This is risky and a last resort - but you are maybe at this point if you don't like your transplanted hair grown out.

3) FUE/BHT? A desperate last attempt to get anything to grow on your head. Though I suspect that if your scalp donor hair didn't yield well than BHT might not be even worth your time.

Think positively TTDS. It's the way to overcome this situation. Thankfully you are in touch in a great clinic now with SMG. Stay connected with them!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

aaron1234,

Like any of us, sunlight is not something I'll be able to avoid so the hair must be able to hold up to direct sunlight in order to be acceptable in my opinion. Concealers are not going to work for me. I've tried them and they are messy and give the hair a dull apperance and don't look natural. My hair piece looks more natural than Topik. The tattooing is interesting but if something isn't right with it I'm stuck with it unlike the Topik which can be washed off. It is painful enough that the first doctor did a poor job but then took $10K for it.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I had a haircut last night and shared with my stylist what I'd been discussing on the fourm about my situation. She said (and I agree) that once hair reaches a certain length it starts looking thinner not thicker. I said maybe I should just buzz it short and be done with it. She said that is not an option for me since I have a donor scar. This is so frustrating, it seems there is an issue with ever corner I turn. I'm beginning to with I'd have never considered a hair transplant. I have nothing to show for it excpect a drained back account and scar on the back of my head. I will say Dr. Shapiro's work has amounted to something and he was very kind in giving me two free surgeries. He did what he could with what he had to work with.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Time To Do Something,

I too am a former patient of Dr. Epstein. I too had an overall bad experience with Dr. Epstein. Granted, that bad experience was not to the level that you had. But I can definitely speak from experience with respect to what you are going through.

I read your whole story and all of your threads dating back to 2007. I know what you are going through. It must feel awful.

But the simple truth is this...

Dr. Epstein should have turned you away from day one. Simply put, you had thin wispy hair and were a full NW5. Even if all of the grafts had grown, trust me it would not have been enough. You would never have been satisfied. I can say this because after more than 7000 grafts, I'm still not satisfied.

The simple truth is that there just is not enough hair if you are a NW5. That's it. Period. Point. Blank. And no amount of surgery (combined with wishful thinking) is going to change that.

These doctors make it seem like they are in control when they are not. I read all of the responses and the backslapping and the "it will all be okay/give it time" chatter in your threads from 2007. Epstein's comment that he was among the top 2-3 doctors was pure comedy. But overall it was all such a waste of time.

In the end, you ended up where you were in the beginning. Dissatisfied. Constantly posting messages on these boards. You are even here now. You can't let this go. You have become a member of the hair transplant cult - a nightmare reserved for those who wish to try to defy Mother Nature's plans. Ask yourself why people here rarely put up their own pictures. Most of them have fair to poor results and will never get what they expected. Many don't even want to admit it. They'll keep posting here praying for a miracle when there is none.

The truth is that hair transplant as a science is a failure and hair transplants are a collosal risk. At the end of the day, there just isn't enough hair. And the hair that is there is going to get white, wispy, and die. Even the so-called permanent zone will thin out as you age.

If these doctors were as professional as they say, they would be day and night researching a real cure (how to come up with a limitless supply of grafts) rather than in patchwork remedy of hair transplants that leave physical and emotional scars. They would only work on those few patients (older, like NW3 or NW4 in their 50's) that they could help. They would not offer hope to someone like you who was beyond it. Trust me, even if all the grafts had grown you would not have been satisfied. Just not enough hair.

You got tricked by Dr. Epstein. I got tricked by a guy at Bosley (Epstein was my second doctor). The doctor that makes the first sell is the real criminal, IMHO.

The truth is that a man can look great bald. Ask Jason Statham, Bruce Willis, or Andre Agassi. The secret is in building up the physical body. You had happiness in your hands and you chose to cover it up with a wig. All you had to do all those years was shave it off, work out, and get plenty of money. A ticket to Thailand and a young girl in your arms would have done the rest.

I made the same mistake, too. I have to live with this for the rest of my life. The last procedure I did with Epstein left me with a huge scar (north of 1cm). So it made me laugh when I read his response in your threads saying he does superior scar work. He's a butcher just like the rest - that includes all the names you'll see tossed around here - Wong, Shapiro, Rassman, etc.

The solution to baldness was to shave our heads. We didn't let Mother Nature style us and now we are paying the price.

So welcome to the nightmare. It's time for you to accept it. Your very handle on these threads is pure denial. Why...?

Because it's not time to do something. That time was before you stepped into Epstein's butcher shop. That time was when you could have shaved your head.

Now it's time to do nothing but one thing. Nothing left to do but accept.

thebaldreality2012-Thanks for your reply and reading all of my posts. You may be right as a NW5 there was too much bald area to cover. My crown was not addressed so I figured I'd have enough donor hair to cover 3/4 of my scalp. My hair is not whispy, just the opposite. It is very thick and coarse. I think I've got the physical part you mentioned covered. I'm 6'2' weigh 209lbs which 17.5" arms, 46' chest and 33" waist. Still I don't believe I'd look good bald. Just my opinion. Plenty of money? I do okay but I'd hate to think that is what I needed to boost my self confidence and have others interested in me. I'm not in denial I'm going through all of this for the first time and don't have the experience to judge yet. You may be right but I'm told by many on here that my last surgery has not matured yet and to look into the tattooing etc. I went to Epstein because he was listed as one of the top doctors on this site. I've seen other guys who were a NW5 with less grafts than me who look much better.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

He's a butcher just like the rest - that includes all the names you'll see tossed around here - Wong, Shapiro, Rassman, etc.

I feel your pain after the poor work you received from Bosley and Epstein - but that is one audacious first post.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Bald reality 2012. have you met anyone who has had a successful transplant?

Will members post before and after photos of themselves who feel satisfied with their results. I'd like to see photos of NW5's in full sunlight. It is not acceptable for someone to think a hair transplant is only going to look acceptable under controlled lighting conditions. Who out there is never in sunlight?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I had a haircut last night and shared with my stylist what I'd been discussing on the fourm about my situation. She said (and I agree) that once hair reaches a certain length it starts looking thinner not thicker. I said maybe I should just buzz it short and be done with it. She said that is not an option for me since I have a donor scar. This is so frustrating, it seems there is an issue with ever corner I turn. I'm beginning to with I'd have never considered a hair transplant. I have nothing to show for it excpect a drained back account and scar on the back of my head. I will say Dr. Shapiro's work has amounted to something and he was very kind in giving me two free surgeries. He did what he could with what he had to work with.

There is a sweet spot for hair length and you have to find out what yours is. I would imagine that if you let the top grow out to about 2.5 to 3" and cut it about an inch on the sides and about 2" in the back to cover the scar you would look much different. Put a little product in it and see how it looks. As Joe said when you hair is very short and matted down as it is in your pic it just can't look decent. I would like to see some pics once you have done this and I bet it will look much much better and you can ditch the hairpiece.

TTDS,

Having followed your journey from the beginning, I certainly feel for you and wish nothing but the best for you. However, I do happen to agree with Joe and think your hair would look far better if you allowed your transplanted hair to grow, trimmed your sides way down and gave it some style. Direct sunlight is always a killer and will make virtually any hair transplant look thin, including mine - and I've had 9600 grafts all over my scalp.

Having seen your before and after photos from your first two hair transplants, I don't believe all your hair grew in, which is another reason why it will appear thinner than others who may have had 8000 grafts.

The reality is, your transplanted hair will never be as thick as the hair system you were used to wearing. But after your last hair transplant has time to fully mature and with some growth and styling, you may find that you are satisfied with a slightly thinner and natural look.

I do hope you'll keep us posted on your progress over the next several months. But I do encourage you to post photos showing your transplanted hair grown out, the hair on the sides and back of your scalp shorter and under better "normal" lighting conditions.

Best wishes,

Bill

There is a sweet spot for hair length and you have to find out what yours is. I would imagine that if you let the top grow out to about 2.5 to 3" and cut it about an inch on the sides and about 2" in the back to cover the scar you would look much different. Put a little product in it and see how it looks. As Joe said when you hair is very short and matted down as it is in your pic it just can't look decent. I would like to see some pics once you have done this and I bet it will look much much better and you can ditch the hairpiece.

Thanks! I'll take this info to her on my next haircut. I hear mousse makes the hair look thicker gel makes it look thinner. I'll post more pics once I have some length.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Bill,

Great to hear from you again. You are always the one who comes to mind when I get discouraged. You have been through just about the same as me. You’ve had four procedures and over 8K grafts. I am now allowing the transplanted hair to grow and I will trim the sides as much as I can (I need some length for the clips for the hairpiece). As far as style is concerned it is difficult to style which such low density but I’ve asked her to begin styling my hair as if I was not going to be wearing the hair piece. So your hair looks thin in direct sunlight as well? Have you thought about the tattoo process? I agree Dr. Shapiro was working with what he could after Epstein’s work. I do understand that my hair transplant will never be as thick as a hair piece and actually I don’t want it to be. However, I would expect it to be at least thick enough to look cosmetically acceptable and more hair is seen than scalp. I understand that my last procedure still has about five months until all the growth has surfaced.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts