3 Month update- Dr. Rahal 4,616 FUT

Hey everyone,

Well I am at the 3 month mark and for the most part am out of the ugly duckling stages thankfully!

Hairline: I can def see some hairs growing in especially at the corners of the hairline but they are sparse at the moment...there is still a lot of space in between each grown hair as I gather this is normal and as the months continue hairs will grown in between them...any comments are appreciated on this based on your experience. It is a nice feeling to actually see your hair growing instead of seeing it fall out...def a better feeling! So my hairline is taking a little shape but I gather come month 4 and probably closer to month 5 is when I will really start seeing some growth...again comments are appreciated on this. I am at the point now basically where I was prior to my HT...pretty much all my original hair has grown back and now mixed with the sporadic new hairs makes it look a little bit better. Applying Toppik (which I do only for special events and also interviews) is great because I don't have to use as much and it really makes my hair actually look amazing compared to how it looked originally with Toppik...mainly bc i can now use those new hairs as my hairline and it doesn't look fake as before i didn't have them to apply toppik to.

Scar: I had a little shock loss on each side of my scar but never anything crazy that couldn't be covered up with some Toppik if/when I needed it. As you can see in my pic, the scar is clearly not visible esp at the length it is at now which is prob like a 5 clip give or take. I would like to cut it with a 4 but a few weeks ago when i cut it with a 4 the scar was noticeable somewhat but I attribute this to some shock loss that will hopefully subside in the upcoming months.

Tightness: All of my tightness has subsided for the most part and there is just some numbness here and there mainly around the scar area but nothing that I can't tolerate and/or bothers me.

Working out: I started working out again a week after my 2nd month going slowly at first but now at month 3 I am at a good workout pace doing about 70 percent of what I used to...as I am trying to be a tad on the conservative side when it comes to certain exercises. It was def nice to get back to the gym and start getting back to how I was prior to my HT.

Propecia/Rogaine: I have been on Propecia now for about 10 months and up until around say 7-8 months I didn't feel like it was doing much but I would say in the last month or so I have noticed my crown thickening and not seeing a little thinness anymore in the mirror which amazed me...plus loosing less hair in the sink too...and my hair feel overall healthier and fuller. Also I started Rogaine Foam 3 weeks after my HT so been on it for around over 2 months and I don't mind applying it plus I am thinking maybe this is the reason why my crown looks better? Perhaps the synergy bt Prop and Rogaine. I actually like the way my hair looks and feels after I apply the foam as it acts kind of as a mousse and my hair feels and looks thicker...so i don't mind it anymore I actually prefer that look! lol.

As always I would appreciate your comments on my pics and hopefully I am progressing nicely and my hairline will fill in and become more of a line in the upcoming months.

Left.JPG.f83b11116c9996e78691e97630785fbb.JPG

Right.JPG.18df935becdd9757da9d1c948a4d4e1d.JPG

5b32d1d8b52d4_Frontdown.JPG.d4017859c9f1dbdcce580aaf52c26158.JPG

Crown.JPG.b322823f7e2130ae0b731a5e619d59c8.JPG

5b32d1d8e427c_RightScar.JPG.d78a0ad0a833ec8820daa6a164ee3ce5.JPG

Cap

That looks great...definitely see some growth, I actually think you look better than you did pre op...

Also, the only place Im having trouble is about an inch above my scar...its not trouble, just numbness...Im sure from all the nerves that were cut...just hope it gets better with time!! Your hair looks great!! I can't believe Im 7 weeks tomorrow!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Cap, I just went back and looked at your pre op pics...NO DOUBT in my mind your hair already looks better!!! And you haven't even begun to grow yet!! Exciting months ahead for us!!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Any kind of growth (even kinky, wiry, ugly hairs) is good for three months. You are on your way.

You have so much great native hair left - please stay on Fin!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thanks guys...I am gonna def stay on Fin and also Rogaine as it really makes my hair feel thicker as it acts like a mousse and makes my hair easier to style...added bonus I guess! lol.

Cap,

You look great already. I can now say by experience that the fun starts after 3 months. I bet you are in for a rockstar result

Thanks guys! Much appreciated! I got my first official hair cut today...I have been buzzing my sides by myself the last month or so with a number 4 clip and you were able to see some of the scar on the sides...nothing crazy but u could see it somewhat. So the sides were growing out pretty badly and I decided it was finally time to go to my barber and test it out...so I went today and he used a #5 clip and he didn't say anything...you could slightly see the scar line but not too much...I gather you can slightly see it because I am only 3 months out? I gather it becomes less and less as time passes on? The reason you would see it would be bc of some shockloss I guess as I don't have real bad shockloss but some hairs are probably still not growing as fast as the others hence why you can see it?

It did tingle as he buzzed my sides with the buzzer for a few minutes afterwards but I guess this is natural at this point.

Hi Capelli,

Think of it this way: if even FUE can cause some temporary donor shockloss then having some in close proximity to a FUT scar is not surprising at all. At 3 months out it's common for some of that shockloss to remain. I gather it's improved already from what it was like in the beginning, right?

The progress made at the recipient area looks to be amazing even at this early stage. I just checked your profile/blog to remind myself of your pre-ops and I'd forgotten how thin your frontal zone was. For you I think the 'ugly duckling' phase has been short and swift! Heck of a contrast between months 2 and 3.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hey Matt,

Thanks for your comments. My frontal third was pretty thin esp at the corners so it def has improved as there is a nice shadow of hair now which in and of itself is a huge improvement as there is no true recession anymore...still thin at this point but at least there is a hairline forming!

The shockloss I spoke about is not true shockloss...i just think that some hairs probably haven't grown back fully so that could be why the scar is slightly visible bc it is a #5 clip and i have heard that people can get away with a #3 and/or #4 clip so i gather that this will occur as the scar heals and the hairs come back.

I must say too that the ugly duckling stage wasn't that horrid for me thankfully...i didn't worry too much about my looks knowing that the finished result would be great based on Dr. Rahal's other patient results.