Rahal or R Shapiro

Heys Guys,

Well after couple months of research and several consultations, I have narrowed my choice of surgeons to either Rahal or Ron Shapiro, for a 4000FU procedure.

I seem to be sitting on the fence and struggling to make a final decision.

Any insight/ comments will be helpful.

Thanks

Turnbacktheclock

4000, Im assuming you are talking FUT and not FUE then....Both are excellent surgeons...cant go wrong either way, however, after just having a procedure with Dr Rahal I am very partial to his work! Consult with both and go with your gut..

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Heys Guys,

Well after couple months of research and several consultations, I have narrowed my choice of surgeons to either Rahal or Ron Shapiro, for a 4000FU procedure.

I seem to be sitting on the fence and struggling to make a final decision.

Any insight/ comments will be helpful.

Thanks

Turnbacktheclock

Lol, I'm actually deciding between the same two surgeons myself.

I had it narrowed down to the 2 as well and chose Dr. Shapiro for my procedure. I don't really think you can go wrong but I think it's possible that Dr. Shapiro might be a tad more conservative than Dr. Rahal. Dr. Shapiro was also closer geographically to me and was little bit more affordable.

Good luck!

After being a member on this site for a good while now, Dr. Rahal seems to be more aggressive, especially in the frontal hairline. The hairline is the most important part, in my opinion, since it frames the face.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I just had my surgury this following monday/ tuesday(jan30/31) couldn't be more pleased with the staff at shapiro medical group. Let me start off by saying that thier operation is second to none. The care and time that they put in to every customer that walks through thier door's, not just me but every person that was being treated at the time of my visit was handled with care and compassion for what their specific needs were. I'd like to personally thank the staff including but not limited to dr ron shapiro, matt, tom, gywen, sylvia and janna.

I went in with modest expectation's, and they far and away exceeded them. Anything i addressed as a concern they all took a personal interest in. You can really tell they care about making the best possible result for you. An example of the character of dr ron shapiro. I went in for an fue procedure and at the end of the procedure he sat me down and told me that he was more concerned about my psoriasis and how can we tackle it(not to say that he tought i wouldn't have a great result with my procedure) first hand.

I just got back home got back home today, i'm waiting for them to send me the picture's. I'll do my best to update picture's as the time progresses. I'm very excited i think i'll have a great result.

Hey Wings....congrats on your surgery. I had the exact same positive experience. I was there on 1/31 for a check up and it was great to see everyone.......you must have been in surgery while I was there. I look forward to seeing your photos and following your progress.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Hi orlhair,

janna, told me that you were there. Sorry i couldn't come out to meet you, i was in the middle of surgery. I just looked at your picture's, they look great. Can't wait to see the final result.

I just posted a thread with some picture's i took last night in my hotel room, there is some swelling in some of the picture's since it was about an hour after surgery. I really think i'll have an amazing result.

They are two of the best there is and you cannot go wrong with either.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Both are great doctors. To give you something to think about other than what you have already heard... decide if you want a conservative approach when it comes to preserving your "donatable" hairs. If you go with Rahal you'll have a packed out hair line, but maybe in 15 years you'll wish you had saved some more hair for 2nd or 3rd etc operation. I went with Dr. Ron and if you read my really extensive write up you'll see how happy I was. Rahal I am sure is also great, but maybe a touch less conservative when it comes to saving hair for future operations... Everything i have seen from both doctors tells me you have picked 2 of the very top doctors out ther.

If I was insistent that I wanted a jam packed hairline, I woud pick Rahal. Dr. Rahal's hairlines are excellent. If I wanted to be more conservative or 40 yrs or older, I would go with Shapiro. Seems like everyone agrees. Pic what is important to you and run with it.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thank you for all your comments, definitely getting closer to a decision.

A question on surgery size: From all the patient comments and testimonials it seems Rahal is very experienced at routinely carrying out 4000+ FU procedures and R Shapiro seems to typically carry out smaller 3000-3500 FU procedures.

I am shooting for a 4000 FU procedure however willing to go higher if the donor area has it, mainly to cover the crown and build a thick hair line (frontal1/3).

Any comments guys? Also any comments/comparisons on the hair yield form the donor area ?

Edited by Turnbacktheclock

From what you are wanting to do, and the number of grafts you are wanting, you may want to lean towards Rahal. What is your age?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Spanker,

Thanks for your advice. To answer your question: I am 37.

Little more detail on my plan/expectation: My crown is quite bald with a size of 12cm x 7cm=84cm2, therefore at 20FUs/cm thats approx. 1700FU's which is light but hopefully effective coverage for the crown, additionally I am looking to hit my hair line ( frontal1 1/3) which has thinned out with hopefully 2500FU's to get some high density, blending into the midscalp which seems to have some decent native hair density.

Thank you again!

Turnbacktheclock.

Edited by Turnbacktheclock

You have narrowed it down to two great choices. Dr. Shapiro does sessions that size and would do a great job for you and if I were you, I would not be hesitant to go to him because he is a bit more conservative. Personally, I think that is a good thing because hair loss is progressive. Sounds like you have a lot of good advice here. Do your consults and go with who you feel most comfortable with. It is great to get advice, but you know what you want and you will know who you are most comfortable with. As we have all said, you are not going to make a bad decision either way.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1