What is the most painful part of FUE?

hey guys - wanted to get your feedback on the FUE procedure.. reading up on it some more -it sounds like the most painful part of the process is the freezing of the donor and recipient areas.

I am looking at getting 2500 FUE grafts initially - and want to know what type of pain and discomfort to expect? How much swelling occurs and when should I be back to "normal"..

Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by freezing but the most painful part of the procedure is the anesthesia process. This is not by any means excruciating but you will feel pinches from the needle as the anesthesia kicks in. This is the same process as FUT and is considered less painful as you do not have a piece of tissue removed and stitches in that area. You will have some discomfort and pain for a few days, but nothing some pain killers can't handle. Swelling can occur in the forehead area at first, and it would start going downward toward your eyes and nose. This does not occur to everyone, but it is normal if it occurs. Some people react better to the medication the doctor provides beforehand which contains a steroid which helps with that process. You will have scabs develop in the recipient and donor areas which will fall off around 8 days post surgery where you would be able to return to work and look "normal". You will also still have some pinkness in both areas but that is not terribly noticeable, and you can use some cosmetics to mask that if you wish.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

thanks.. the anesthesia process is what i was referring to... what medicines are usually prescribed? i heard you have to sleep at a 45 degree angle as well? FUE is less invasive then the FUT treatment so assume the pain in the donor area is slim to none?

Medications such as vicodin are prescribed for pain, an antibiotic, and possibly a sleeping aid are prescribed for FUE patients. We do suggest sleeping upright for the first 3 nights but you don't have to be up as high as 45 degrees. Usually 25-30 degrees is plenty. This can be achieved by putting a few pillows behind your back and neck when you are laying in bed so you are not lying down and keeping yourself and your head elevated while still being comfortable. FUE and FUT are equally invasive in terms of extracting the grafts at about the same depth. The FUT simply removes more tissue than the FUE, the reason the pain is less with FUE is because the incisions are smaller rather than a sizable incision and stitches. The pain that is associated with both procedures always occurs in the donor area but again it's not terrible just sore and bit uncomfortable. Typically most patients experience very little to no pain in the recipient area because it will be quite numb for a few weeks, and you will still experience slight loss of sensation for 3-5 months.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

It doesn't hurt at all really...Oh my surgeon went past my scalp and dug in to my skull by accident that hurt like a mother trucker but he was a plonker that doesn't happen if you have a good surgeon. There is a lot of dizzyness when your head has been pressed down for 3 hours and you feel like passing out when you stand up but it doesn't hurt.

To conclude the operation it self is no problem but that night when you try to sleep straight after is quite harsh you'll need some good drugs for that.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

From my experience, it doesn't hurt at all, but I will say that there is a lot of discomfort after the procedure. When the numbing wears off, your donor area will feel sore, especially if you wrinkle your head. Sleeping in a 45-degree angle in the first 4 nights was difficult for me. If you try to sleep with the back of your head against the pillow (even after two weeks), it feels extremely weird, like having a metal plate against your head. And you'll have minor soreness from pimples in the donor area. But note that I did not need to take any pain medication.

I'm in my 7th week, and I've just about recover from any kind of discomfort.

I agree with Spex. You do not appear to be a good FUE candidate. You should talk to a reputable physician.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Does the pain worsen after the procedure? And if so, how long did the pain last?

It's uncomfortable for about 1 to 4 days and sleeping is very awkward obviously because you've had parts of your scalp removed, the staples are uncomfortable too if you have strip. The first night when you get home from surgery is the worst.

The best way to describe it is the worst headache you've ever had but the drugs you take after are quite strong when they start wearing off after each set of four hours you can really feel the difference so the best thing to do is get plenty of strong pain killers from them.

Edited by bonkerstonker

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I essentially agree with what the others have posted. In my case the only pain was from the injections. After the procedure I wouldn't call it pain, maybe discomfort at the most. I was given some tylenol but didn't need to take any. The swelling started on day 2 and lasted until day 5.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

• 4 months later...
Does the pain worsen after the procedure? And if so, how long did the pain last?

Late on day four I got some "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" looking swelling but that wasn't the problem my donor area started hurting and hasn't stopped since then. Chronic aching pain continues here at the end of day six, however the swelling has went down significantly around my eyes. I had FUE 2200 grafts. From what I've read this is kind of rare, so I hope this goes away soon.

Most painful part for me was paying for the transplant :D

It is a bit strange to hear all these stories about pain?!?

Maybe i was a lucky one, but i have had no pain whatsoever (apart from the initial anesthetic jabs).

On day 3 and 4, i was told to do face exercises (basically rubbing my brow from the centre outwards and down my cheeks) at very regular intervals. This ensured no swelling whatsoever.

Week 2-3 mild itchiness in the donor area, but nothing too bad. Recipient area completely fine.

It is uncomfortable sleeping at 45 degrees for the first few nights, but just wedge yourself in between 4 pillows and use a travel neck pillow to keep your head in place. It's a small price to pay to help the results.

I agree with Spex, FUE looks to be an unlikely candidate for you i'm affraid.

Edited by s2thoudriver

2800 FUE, Istanbul

Late on day four I got some "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" looking swelling but that wasn't the problem my donor area started hurting and hasn't stopped since then. Chronic aching pain continues here at the end of day six, however the swelling has went down significantly around my eyes. I had FUE 2200 grafts. From what I've read this is kind of rare, so I hope this goes away soon.

Update I stopped using the copper spray, shampoo and conditioner and the aching pain has lessened dramatically. I think I might have been allergic or something because it stung on the donor area and the scabs didn't come off at all even at day 7 all were still there in the planted area. So I used a shampoo and conditioner from whole foods and some itching started up real bad it was late at night and was almost maddening so I googled and found a saline solution worked for others. DISCLAIMER "I'm not a doctor, I'm only telling you what worked for me." I took a couple paper towels and folded them, mixed up some water and salt, soaked the paper towels and secured them with a bandana then saturated the whole bandanna in salt water (keep towel around your neck to catch the run off) and this gave me immediate relief. Just as important I've kept this going for a day and over half the scabs are now gone. I replaced the papertowels with a cut of cotton from a t-shirt. Since cotton does dry out easily like a paper towel is keeps a nice moist environment and with the salt mixed in it is crazy how fast it speeds up the healing process. Long story short if I do another procedure I will "not" use the copper formula they offer I'll stick with good old salt water. I hope this is helpful for others if their transplants itch or if they are having chronic pain or stinging from the sprays they are instructed to use.