1st HT with Dr. Feller. 2000 Grafts + 400 Free

spreadlocks

Like most guys I noticed a tiny bit of hair loss in mid to late 20s which got worse nearer to 30. I started Finestride and managed to stabilise that (I'm nearly 33 now). Around that time I almost booked a HT with a UK clinic with virtually no research but due to forums such as this one and the clinic having a particularly unlikable salesman I managed to avoid that one. Over the last few years I have been strongly considering a HT and last year decided to take the plunge. I had online consultations with some of the top guys and then finally got in touch with spex.

I am aware that this is probably going to sound more like a love letter than a write up but I can not say enough good things about Spex. For one I have never known anyone as efficient at replying to texts, calls and emails. No matter what the question, or how many questions there were he always gets back immediately which really helps put your mind to rest. On top of that, although he is passionate about Dr. Fellers work he made no attempt to try and "Hard Sell" me at all. In fact, the first thing he said was that both of the surgeons I was considering were great and would do a top job. This was a real contrast to the HT salespeople I had spoken to in the past. I decided that having that contact and Dr. Fellers countless, consistently good results made him the choice for me.

On Monday I got to the Docs office and met him at 7:45. He said that I was really displaying a masterful combover and at first glance it didn't look like I needed a HT at all : ) It wasn't until I pulled my hair back that the true story showed. Originally I wanted to go really aggressive with the hairline filling in the temples too (as I imagine most people would want to in a perfect world). The doc however explained to me that I had a decent amount of miniaturisation on the hairs back in my head and that I would be better off using my grafts to increase the density further back, thus saving further HT's in the future. He also said I maybe want to consider more grafts which was unfortunately not possible due to financial reasons (I had paid for 2000). At this point I was feeling pretty down which I am pretty sure the Dr. Feller could tell. He then explained to me that we could easily work around the centre of my hair (which will be the last to go) and still achieve maximum density. This really made me feel a lot better and much more at ease. He then drew the hairline on and again I thought it looked good. I must say that Dr. Feller has a very good way of a) explaining things in a very straightforward way and B) making you feel completely at ease with what is happening. He has a rare quality of making you feel very comfortable that you are in the hands of a professional but at the same time relaxing you with a few jokes and a casual manner. By the time we got in the operating room my original concerns had subsided and Dr. Feller had assured me we could really increase the density around the hairline. He showed me some other examples of what we could aim for and explained how we will be using state of the art techniques to achieve maximum density.

My head was shaved and I was administered the numbing injections which didn't bother me in slightest. I have many many tattoos so needles are no biggy. The doc worked around the back of my head with the technician and within about 20 mins he said "right done". I literally felt nothing. So little so that I was unaware of when he was working or not. All through this part of the procedure I chatted to Dr. Feller, telling jokes, talking about random day-to-day things and even touching on a bit of politics. It was all very casual and I felt completely at ease.

Next up Dr. Feller made the incisions in the top of my head. For this part he explained that he would not be talking as he needed maximum concentration. This was fine with me and I had a little snooze. Again I had no real idea when he was working or not other than the strange sound which is hard to describe unless you have had a HT. Again this part felt quite quick. Maybe 45 mins if that.

Next up the technicians place the grafts into my head. I am pretty sure not enough gets said about the technicians because they really were excellent. At one point I was struggling to sit still as I thought I just had a stiff neck. Without me saying anything one of the technicians explained that she could see I was struggling. I told her that it was just cause I had a stiff neck. She explained that although I thought it was that it was a stiff neck, it was probably a little pain from the staples. She adjusted something and instantly I felt great again. She obviously knew what she was talking about. I chatted to all of the technicians throughout the whole procedure. One of them, had some free credit for a Eupropean airline which had to be used by January and she even offered to give me it. They really had a great bedside manner and again I felt completely at ease.

Here is the good bit. Once the grafts had been placed, Dr feller came back in and explained that he had been able to harvest another 400 grafts on top of the initial 2000 and that if I wanted he could also shave down the middle bit and place these grafts for free, thus eradicating the need for another procedure in the near future. I really couldn't believe it and I was massively grateful. I think that the doc understands how much this affects peoples lives being a HT patient himself and genuinely wants to help. He also explained that if he makes me look good I then make him look good which is bang on really. I can not thank him enough for this though and I massively appreciate the generosity. He shaved some more, made the other 400 incisions and the technicians planted the grafts. All of this went quite quickly and the whole thing was finished before 14:30.

(Ah yeah. They also got me a sandwich for lunch and the roast beef on wholemeal I had was really good. Nice rare beef thinly sliced with tomato and mustard : )

Finally I was given all of the aftercare instructions, some medication, a tool to remove the staples and a baseball cap. The doctor showed me some of my photos and away I went with my new HT. I also received an email from Spex the next day wishing me well and telling me how the doctor had said the procedure went well.

Ultimately I had a first class experience with Spex and all of the staff at Feller medical and I would definitely recommend them.

Now here comes the hard part eh? Best get remastering that combover because there is a lot more area to combover now :)

If anyone has any questions about going to NY please hit me up. I can remember lots about the transport, hotel, where I ate out, the food I bought in etc.

Edited by spreadlocks

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you man. Although my hair was badly thinning at the front the actual hairs themselves are really thick if that makes sense. Nobody has ever suspected me of losing hair. Even the doc. I am just sick of the combover, using enough hairspray to eliminate the ozone layer and avoiding rain or wind at all costs.

No idea what I'm gonna say when I go back to work in two weeks though.

For instance, this was taken about 2 weeks ago so how the people at work are used to seing me : o

8099.jpg

Need to think of a good lie.

Am also from Nortyhern Ireland and looking at the hair transplant and considering america too

Also silly concerns like post op and work.

Is it best just to shave all off etc

It really is a mindfield and uk is just hard sell and poor results i doubt

spreadlocks,

Congratulations on your recent hair transplant with Dr. Feller and thanks for contributing such a thoughtful and informative chronicle of your experience.

I hope you'll continue to update us on your progress. I look forward to following your journey. Happy growing!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I think your going to have a good result Spreadlocks, keep us posted with your progress.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Thanks a lot for the good words guys. The swelling is now in my eyes and I must admit I feel pretty weird looking in the mirror.

Actually the toughest thing for me is that the odd long hair from the back of my head keeps coming forward and tickling me in my recipient area. Because I can't touch that area it's driving me mad : )

Great write-up Spreadlocks and it looks like you will have a great result. Just remember the road to re-growth is a long one so be patient, and good growing to you!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

You chose one of the best and you will start showing some density this Summer. I hate to hear that you have some miniaturization in the donor area. A few years ago everyone thought that this was permanent hair, but in some people the donor area thins a bit. You look to still have a strong head of hair though!

P.S. You are a master at hair styling!

Edited by RCWest

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Ah RCWest. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't have any miniaturisation in my Donor area. That is thick as hell. I meant that I thought that I only had miniaturisation in like the front couple of centimeters of my hairline whereas I actually had it as far as a third of the way into the top of my head : )

Thanks a lot Spex. Again, you are a lifesaver bro.

P.S. You are a master at hair styling!

I've been at it again. Hahaha.

These are from this morning after washing my hair. 5 Days post op. It's not perfect but it's not awful. I think I can maybe cover this up. Just need to check that it's ok to wear hairspray from 2 weeks post op as that will hold this ulta combover in place. Just worried that the hairspray can get on the recipient area grafts and affect growth.

8141.jpg

8142.jpg

8144.jpg

8143.jpg

Spreadlocks

Great write up , you were at Dr Feller's a week after I was in the chair bud , I hope you can pull off that mother of all comb overs ! hahaha

It's always difficult post op , especially if your limited with wearing any head gear at work , alot of guys underestimate how long you need to look semi-normal again , I would say a minimun of four weeks , I understand you didn't have that luxury .

Get loads of spray on it and keep a low profile !

richie

Edited by richie48

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

spreadlocks

awesome photos bud !

you are looking in perfect condition for day 12 , clean , most of the scabs will be well on there way to falling off .

that will be a great hairline in 12 month , well done

the pants part starts from now , the dreaded shed ........

when removing the staples , take it easy and sit in the bath and soak the donor staples well , get your skin nice and soft , don't drink achohol or take pain killers before , this thins your blood and make you bleed more ...

then removed 10 -15 staples at a time till it pinches a little , then soak again , tell who ever is removing the staples not to be shy or slow , be firm and swift .

stay calm and put the two prongs of the tool under the stable and let the single prong clamp down from the top and steadly BEND the staple out out your skin , it may bleed a little but don't worry .

The staple will look like the letter M when removed correctly , good luck , on my blog is a step by step guild to removal for you to look at ......

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

spreadlocks

awesome photos bud !

you are looking in perfect condition for day 12 , clean , most of the scabs will be well on there way to falling off .

that will be a great hairline in 12 month , well done

the pants part starts from now , the dreaded shed ........

when removing the staples , take it easy and sit in the bath and soak the donor staples well , get your skin nice and soft , don't drink achohol or take pain killers before , this thins your blood and make you bleed more ...

then removed 10 -15 staples at a time till it pinches a little , then soak again , tell who ever is removing the staples not to be shy or slow , be firm and swift .

stay calm and put the two prongs of the tool under the stable and let the single prong clamp down from the top and steadly BEND the staple out out your skin , it may bleed a little but don't worry .

The staple will look like the letter M when removed correctly , good luck , on my blog is a step by step guild to removal for you to look at ......

richie

Thanks a lot for the feedback and especialy the advice man. It's always good to get that bit of advice from someone who has already been through it. I have my girlfriend removing my staples in the morning and she went out to a hen party at 1pm clutching a bottle of tequila so no doubt I'll probably look like Quasimodo by this time tomorrow : )

I think i have started shedding a few hairs already. I keep finding a few falling onto my laptop n stuff. Oh well. I'm prepared for that.

Thanks again mate.

Staples were a doddle mate. Hungover girlfriend came good : )

Here are a couple of pics but honestly you cant see anything except a few tiny scabs. I took like 30 photos to try and get the scar but you can hardly see it with all the damn hair (If only all that hair was on top of my head. hahaha).

I'm gonna shave the sides and back down to about a 3 or 4 when the scabs go so I'll take more pics then.

8329.jpg

8330.jpg

Edited by spreadlocks

Hi bud

Glad the girlfriend came through , I've often seen guys panic about removing the staples , especially if they have travelled from the UK , but it really is easy .

Well done and well done to the girlfriend hahahaah

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Cheers mate. She was still half drunk I recon so ploughed through them. It was no probs. went back to work today with the combover and a bit of hairspray on the native hair to hold it in place. Nobody has batted an eyelid. My best mate who knows about the ht said he cant even tell. I think having thick curly hair makes it possible. Really looking forward to going out tomorrow now. Not really left the house for close to three weeks and not drank since nye.

• 2 weeks later...