post-op viviscal or MSM

And me! MSM makes your hair grow faster, so the part that's shaven for my fue will grow faster so I can get a decent haircut sooner. So you can start taking it right away, paris_caine.

I don't know anything about viviscal.

After looking at the ingredients for Viviscal, it's nothing more than a couple of herbs and some Vitamin C. Go with the MSM.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I have been using Viviscal since I started losing my hair nearly three years ago now and I swear by it. It has given me far better results than what my friends have have with other minoxidil based drugs.

I think that comments such as "it's nothing more than a couple of herbs and some Vitamin C" are very disrespectful in a forum such as this. This person is looking for genuine advice and you are basing you posts on perceptions without actually doing any research. There are hundreds of alternatives out there with Viviscal and MSM being only two of them. I am just sharing my opinion, your doctor will probably be the best person to advise you.

I have been using Viviscal since I started losing my hair nearly three years ago now and I swear by it. It has given me far better results than what my friends have have with other minoxidil based drugs.

I think that comments such as "it's nothing more than a couple of herbs and some Vitamin C" are very disrespectful in a forum such as this. This person is looking for genuine advice and you are basing you posts on perceptions without actually doing any research. There are hundreds of alternatives out there with Viviscal and MSM being only two of them. I am just sharing my opinion, your doctor will probably be the best person to advise you.

Hi Hunter, from what i have heard, both MSM amd viviscal help to grow existing hair faster, with almost zero help in growing hair u have lost. Minoxidil helps with the latter. So, i am not sure if we can compare the two. i do agree that i have heard some very good reviews about viviscal in terms of faster hair growth. Exactly what kind of results have you seen?

Thanks for the input.

You are absolutely correct in that neither will grow back hair from dead hair follicles but in terms of dramatically slowing hair shedding, strengthening existing hair and encouraging growth of existing hair I found Viviscal to be excellent. Also no side affects either which is great.

Paris,

You'll be fine. Of course I was nervous before I went in as well, but it was not as difficult as I thought. You are in good hands.

The most difficult part as many say is the initial numbing shots. You must stay relaxed during the administration of the shots as tensing the muscles makes them hurt.

Then of course, the sitting still part. If you have a music player, an iPad or other wireless device, there is WiFi in the office. I actually had a couple of Facetime sessions with my wife during the surgery :-)

As far as MSM - I got mine through drugstore.com. The Vitamin Shoppe has it as well, however when I went in and asked for it, they were pushing some other hair "supplements" that contained MSM and other ingredients as well. I didn't feel comfortable with buying any of them without doing my research.

Good luck!

Dome

Thanks guys. my procedure is this friday. nervous, excited, anxious, u name it. you guys have been great help though. Wish me luck

will keep you posted.

Paris.

Hey man good luck! You have nothing to worry about. The first few days after the procedure might be a bit hard (swollen face, difficult to sleep, annoying feeling in donor area), but you just have to get through them (time goes fast) and afterwards you'll be relieved. :)

I've been taking 3000 mg of MSM daily without any side effects. I think MSM is completely safe. The only problem could be that you get nauseous if your digestion can't handle such large quantities of MSN. In that case you have to start with a lower dose and slowly increase it.

• 2 months later...

I think that comments such as "it's nothing more than a couple of herbs and some Vitamin C" are very disrespectful in a forum such as this. This person is looking for genuine advice and you are basing you posts on perceptions without actually doing any research.

I agree, it's why anyone should be careful about solicited advice on an internet forum.

Good to hear about your experiences with Viviscal, my barber recently recommended it to me, I will check it out.

The advantage of MSM, that i can see, is it is good for joint cartilage as well, and joint cartilage, once lost, cannot be replaced. So it is important to maintain it. A poor diet high in acidic foods is one reason people suffer deteriorating cartilage at their joints.

Edited by wylie