What does density look like?

For years I've seen patients of various clinics post their immediate post-operative photos to document their experience. This is obviously a good thing as many others can learn from this documentation.

Usually, when one posts an image of their recipient sites, fresh after surgery, there will be at least one or two comments about how "dense" the placement looks even if the recipient area is relatively large and a modest amount of graft work was performed. Fast forward several months and the patient or others that have been tracking the progress of the patient come back only to say that the result is not as dense as hoped so obviously some of the grafts didn't take.

One possible reason for this phenomena is something I have recognized for years but I didn't have the right tools to describe my observations. I propose and firmly believe that the recipient site redness and scabbing creates an illusion to the observer. The contrast between recipient scalp and the subsequent scabs that form immediately post-op creates a misrepresentation of the actual density that was achieved.

Observe the photo I put together shown below. It is actually two copies of the same photo. I used CS5 to remove most of the redness in the scalp which means that most of the scabs were removed as well. This exercise shows just how much the density, or the perceived density, declines once the contrast ratio is equalized.

This is a NW6 patient with just over 4000 grafts. Looks rather dense.

before-after-gif.gif?i=775948069

Doesn't look quite as dense now, does it?

What one sees and what gives the impression of greater density is the fact that each scab that forms is roughly 500% larger (or more) in diameter than the hair that has been placed into the recipient scalp. Combine that with a higher contrast between scabs and scalp and you have a very powerful illusion.

Edited by Jotronic

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Makes complete sense to me. Scabs are ALWAYS bigger/wider than follicles. I've noticed that in all three of my surgeries.

Btw, his head is reminding me of blinking Christmas lights. Gettin' me in the holiday spirit.

Edited by aaron1234
ALWAYS not usually

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Excellent observation Joe!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

That illusion of density the scabbing/redness provides returns once the hair starts to grow in and becomes longer and the hairs mature and thicken.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Wow, it's something that always bugs my mind, thanks for the info Joe!

Another thing is when I see this , I thought if someone decides to go with shorter haircuts, SMP can do this affect to create the density. But I'm no supporter of tattooing a pure bald scalp.

Joe, this is a good pic to use about density. Is this an average density session or is it spread out some? It looks as if there is plenty of room between grafts when you remove the red.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Is this photo trick hard to do joe?if not it would be a great idea to add to post op pics.

Mars, for this photo it was rather simple but only after I did some research on how to do it. I've tried on some other photos and the result is far from acceptable. I'm still looking into though and I may need to get a hold of an expert to help me.

That illusion of density the scabbing/redness provides returns once the hair starts to grow in and becomes longer and the hairs mature and thicken.

Hairthere,

I agree to a point in that this coincides with my discussion of the "sweet spot" for length. One thing this does show is that a short length will not give one coverage much less density when the grafts are spread out like this.

Joe, this is a good pic to use about density. Is this an average density session or is it spread out some? It looks as if there is plenty of room between grafts when you remove the red.

I would say no, it is not average density. I am not privy to the exact details but more times than not 4200 would have not been extended into the crown region.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Jotronic, Yes, I agree there is a definite sweet spot in hair length that gives just the right amount of coverage before it starts to look thin.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com