Receding Temples :(

Hey everyone,

just though i'd register to this site has it seems really informative and it's nice to know i'm not alone in hair loss at such a young age.

Anyway, I say young (i'm 25). I noticed about 2 months ago my temples and general hair line was receding rapidly.

Is their any products that work to stop the receding or even regrow my hair back? I'm from the UK and i've read about Regaine but thats like ?50 for a mere 3 months!

I just want something that'll slow down the process and hopefully regrow the hair, without paying a huge sum of cash.

Please can anyone help, i'd be most grateful.

Thanks.

Welcome to this site! Without knowing much about your personal situation with hair loss outside of what you currently disclosed...your best bet is to get on meds immediately. I am referring to Finasteride...which is more commonly known by the brand named Propecia. You can however get a cheaper name called Proscar which you can then divide into 1/4's. That is the best bet you have for now to hold onto your hair and potentially re-growing a little. Please provide pictures so that we can better assess your situation. Hope this helps...also browse this site and you will be able to educate yourself.

Welcome to this site! Without knowing much about your personal situation with hair loss outside of what you currently disclosed...your best bet is to get on meds immediately. I am referring to Finasteride...which is more commonly known by the brand named Propecia. You can however get a cheaper name called Proscar which you can then divide into 1/4's. That is the best bet you have for now to hold onto your hair and potentially re-growing a little. Please provide pictures so that we can better assess your situation. Hope this helps...also browse this site and you will be able to educate yourself.

I agree with Cap!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Cmp,

The only two medications proven to prevent progressive hair loss and potentially regrown thinning hair are Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil). I highly recommend investigating these medications, especially if you'd like to stabilize your hair loss and research a transplant for the frontal and temporal regions in the future.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I'm in the UK as well. You can get a prescription for propecia from your doctor. Sadly its something you will have to pay for but you will be looking at around ?100 for 3 months supply. Different chemists seem to charge whatever they want. The only other way to get the same drug cheaper is by getting something like proscar and cutting up the tablets. Hope this helps.

• 5 months later...

All the products listed above seem so expensive :(

This Proscar product hasn't got very good reviews on the sites i've visited.

Only my left temple has receeded thus far, which is straight. My hair is falling out everyday; like 20+ hairs whenever I wash my hair which surely can't be normal!

I should visit the doc's, but really haven't had the time and nine times out of ten they won't be botherd and think i'm overeacting.

Does this Propecia, work better than Proscar? Or are they exactly the same? I'm hoping to regrown the hair, but I guess retaining whats there is the main objective.

All the products listed above seem so expensive :(

This Proscar product hasn't got very good reviews on the sites i've visited.

Only my left temple has receeded thus far, which is straight. My hair is falling out everyday; like 20+ hairs whenever I wash my hair which surely can't be normal!

I should visit the doc's, but really haven't had the time and nine times out of ten they won't be botherd and think i'm overeacting.

Does this Propecia, work better than Proscar? Or are they exactly the same? I'm hoping to regrown the hair, but I guess retaining whats there is the main objective.

I would think shedding 20 hairs per shower is normal? A Doctor once told me many years ago that we shed about 100 hairs per day naturally. 20 during washing doesn't seem so bad.