Just did it – 3200 grafts with Dr. Feller

ShiningDome

I had my hair transplant procedure at Dr. Feller’s office yesterday (Nov 16, 2011). What I will write below may be redundant, but I believe I owe my remarks to Dr. Feller, his staff, and the community in these forums.

A little about me: Although I live and work overseas, I am a US citizen and maintain an apartment in Manhattan. I know that location should not be a factor when deciding on getting a hair transplant. I considered two surgeons in Canada, one in Georgia, one in Minnesota, and two in New York. I guess I was lucky due to the fact that the surgeon that I selected was located less than 45 minutes from the apartment. I had scheduled the surgery a few months in advance, and planned my leave time from work around the surgery.

The chronological breakdown of the surgery day: The anticipation and excitement affected my sleep the night before, and I don’t think I slept until 1 AM. I woke up at around 5:30 in the morning, showered and left for the clinic at around 6:30. Since there was hardly any traffic, I reached the clinic area at 7:00 AM. I really needed a coffee, but aware that I cannot have it prior to the surgery, I had a light breakfast with some orange juice at the Dunkin Donuts nearby.

I met Dr. Feller at the parking lot and went upstairs with him to the office. He asked me if I have any additional questions. Since we had a lengthy pre-op consultation the day before, and I had been a silent observer of this forum for quite a while, all of my questions had already been answered. Then he proceeded to draw the hairline, taking into account my desired results. Once we agreed on the hairline, I moved into the operating room, where the donor area was prepared. A few minutes after 8:00 AM, the work begun.

Now I am trying to determine the most difficult part of the surgery and I am torn between the initial numbing shots or the standing still part. It was much easier that I had anticipated. We paused at around 1:00 PM for lunch - I ate the sandwich really quick, since I wanted them to continue with placing the grafts as soon as possible.

The graft placing was finished at around 2:30 PM. Over 3200 grafts placed in 6.5 hours – I think that is phenomenal. Then my head was cleaned up, final post-op instructions were given to me, and I was on my way.

I actually felt confident to drive back to the city, but after thinking it over, I had someone pick me up.

Post-surgery recovery: I started to feel pain in the donor area and pressure in the transplanted area about 2 hours after I left the office. After I used one of the prescribed painkillers, the pain was not as evident, although still there. Took an antibiotic and a painkiller before I went to bed as well and I slept like a rock.

Once I woke up the next day, I noticed that the one of the grafts bled a little. I got a little worried, thinking that I may have scratched the scalp during sleep. However, after my wife examined the area, she noted that all the grafts in the area were present and there was no evidence of scratching. Then I removed the band that was placed to cover the donor area, and surprisingly, there were only a few spots of blood there as well. I washed my hair as instructed. As you can see from the pictures below (sorry for the poor quality), the donor area is faintly visible due to the flash, unless you’re looking for it.

Since I woke up this morning, until now, when typing this (about 24 hours after the surgery), I have had absolutely no pain - another pleasant surprise. However, the donor area is beginning to itch a little bit and

some swelling is present in my upper forehead area. As I attempted to describe the swelling stages to my wife, I came up with the following swelling categories:

1 - Ferengi / Megamind Stage (Upper Forehead)

2 - Avatar Stage (Eyes and Nose)

3 - Godfather Stage (Chin)

Today, I am in the “Ferengi / Megamind” stage, and I am noticing the swelling moving down towards my eyes and nose. If it keeps it up, I should be in the “Avatar” stage tomorrow.

About the graft count: The number of grafts recommended by different clinics ranged from 2000 to 4000. Wanting to achieve the best results, and since Dr. Feller described my donor area as “dandy” I was willing to do whatever it takes to get a desirable result in one sitting, and going up to 4000 grafts. Although I knew that I had quite a piece of real estate to be covered, Dr. Feller recommended that 4000 grafts would not be needed and said that he would aim at around 3200/3300 grafts.

Dr. Feller and his staff worked like a well-oiled machine. All the staff members were very courteous and helpful. Although this is my first HT, and I would like for it to be the last, if I have to do it again, I would not hesitate a bit.

:eek: Finally, due to the numbness in the head, I feel like I have a hat on at all times. Ordered Thai food earlier, and I realized that I didn’t have my hat on after I scared the heck out of the delivery boy at the door.

I will do my best to update everyone on my progress. Again, a big thank you goes to all the contributors of this forum!

Let the "wait" begin!

Edited by ShiningDome
Text formatting

Congrats! The work looks just fantastic and clean... as expected from Dr. Feller.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Fantastic news!! I'm so happy you finally had your HT and had a great day with Feller and his team. I had my second HT with him a couple of weeks ago, and had a great time.

Glad everything went well

Regards :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Congrats! Off to a great start.....no doubt you are in great hands having chosen a top surgeon in Dr. Feller. Heal well, be patient and keep us posted.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Dome,

Congrats! I just finished checking out your post-op pics. The work looks excellent.

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted on your progress.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thank you all for the remarks. It has been a week since the surgery, and so far everything appears to go as expected.

The swelling is gone!

I have experienced slight occasional pain in the donor area, usually at night, but tylenol usually helps.

I have taken advantage of the time off to come to the Caribbean for a week. At doctor's recommendation, I am using ocean water as a natural healing agent. I think it is helping, as the recipient area is looking cleaner and cleaner every day.

The layer of "stuff" on it is almost gone, and my dome is beginning to shine again :-).

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings!

Just updated my album with pictures taken 20 days after the surgery. Not much to update. The transplanted hair has jumped ship, and the native hair is regrowing.

The scar is doing great, and I hope no stretching will occur. So far I have not noticed any shock loss either.

I won't be updating anything for another 3 months, as I believe I have entered the doldrums zone.

Happy Holidays to all!

Edited by ShiningDome

• 2 months later...

Your on track. Looks good.

Be VERY patient shiningdome.

It doesn't all just suddenly appear.

I know it's hard :)

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Brad/Chris,

Thank you for the remarks! I am about where I was expecting to be at 3 months - not a whole lot going on. However, in the last week or so I noticed more newly sprouting hair.

I have been following both of you for a while as well - Chris, since you are a Feller patient and Brad, since our patterns are somewhat similar.

All the best to both of you!

• 1 month later...

Greetings!

Found a little time to take a few pictures today. It's been 19.5 weeks since my surgery and thought an update is in order.

The pictures are in less than optimal conditions (as usual - sorry), under fluorescent lights, with flash used. I used the number 3 guard for my haircut, and the scar is barely visible. I do not use any concealers or hair styling products. I will try to take some outdoor pictures in the next few days.

I received multiple remarks in the last few weeks about how I look younger, but no one guessed that it was because of the hair.

Again, I use a need to know approach, and not that many people know that I had a HT.

I am pleased with the progress so far. Remarks are welcome!

1.jpg.ddc3b670e2fc4dc6e1c976912be2926f.jpg

2.jpg.dd4cdf8265353f788dcbd0f034435a99.jpg

3.jpg.5d3d083cc8868460911b186e739c1468.jpg

4.jpg.603527503e2d4f98698ba7cada7bede5.jpg

5.jpg.0e1c9978dc26a8e12915cb4681d49480.jpg

6.jpg.c7d54268af250ab8749d44cdc2c0fc5e.jpg

Edited by ShiningDome
Typo

Coming on nicely, still early days at the moment.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings all. Have been busy and unable to take pictures on monthly basis, thus the random updates.

I'm at the 23 week mark (5.36 months :)) after my surgery with Dr. Feller.

No products, #3 buzz (the right side of scar faintly visible under bright light/flash - OK on the left).

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Dome

1.jpg.60148ac5ba07ddd5ee0f708b36ad3e43.jpg

2.jpg.6c78e47963a5ba7f0fd0a6c65e70cd99.jpg

3.jpg.fc809db815d1d0e9f07ac48fdc9c8df7.jpg

4.jpg.c90b770d891ccb215ffa82dd168fba08.jpg

5.jpg.5a7f92fdd96ee912c094920a360e72f8.jpg

6.jpg.49996ffd911e15318ec5cae8f2b11a02.jpg

7.jpg.640f3525d6fda888ac47aa8a972b7e83.jpg

8.jpg.49d06a8db3847922670c2bc9033635f3.jpg

9.jpg.a8d3afdb81c836393719bce5700ed22c.jpg

10.jpg.fb1e7026008c5cbd96b0ff644c4acac3.jpg

11.jpg.1a59097045d6232adb9ffc00a3335dc6.jpg

Greetings all. Have been busy and unable to take pictures on monthly basis, thus the random updates.

I'm at the 23 week mark (5.36 months :)) after my surgery with Dr. Feller.

No products, #3 buzz (the right side of scar faintly visible under bright light/flash - OK on the left).

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Dome

Looks like a new hairline! Really very important to framing the face and first thing we see in the mirror. Even better news is that you still have two VERY strong growth months ahead and beyond. :)

Appears thin as expected for this time. But it's starting to come in and it looks like you are well on your way to a successful transplant!

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Thank you for the feedback Brad! Very exciting times!

The most hilarious thing is when I see people that have not seen me from before the surgery, and they all try to figure out what it is that has changed (for the better of course).

So, Dr. Feller did such a good job with the hairline, not even one person questioned if I did something with my hair.

Looking Good, ShiningDome!

You're starting to get really good result there and I'm sure there plenty more to come!

Liked the swelling classification system you invented - nice! I identified well with the Ferengei for a day or so!

You're 5 years older than me and I reckon I probably have a similar progression pattern to you, although mine didn't start being noticeable to me til a little later on (say 28/29). I'm looking at your 5 month period with envy of your 4 month head start on me!

Keep growing!

p.s. I'm sorry to tell you that your surgery has had one negative effect.... You're going to have to change your username under the Trades' Description Act! Perhaps you could go with RegrownDome or Hair-o-dome? :P

Shiningdome,

I'm sorry I'm a little late to the party, but I just wanted to say congratulations on your recent hair transplant with Dr. Feller. Your hair is looking great at this early stage.

By the way, I just noticed your signature line that says you can't receive or send PMs. I'm sorry for the delay on this, but I have resolved this issue for you.

Best wishes,

Bill

Kojak (NOT),

Thank you for the message, especially with the remarks about my username. It really cracked me up!

Congratulations on your surgery. I saw your pictures - nice and clean work, as expected from the Coalition Doctors! Doldrums suck, but it will be worth it. Grow well!

Bill, thank you for the message and for resolving the IM issue!

SD