Embarrassed to get a haircut

alexdelarge

Does anyone else have a problem with going to a barber to get a haircut? I am real self conscious about it, as everytime the hairdresser seems to comment on my receding hairline. It's just so freaking embarrasing.

I remember being very embarrassed getting a haircut. I used to comb my hair forward to hide the recession as much as I could, but at the barber shop I went, there would be loads of people sitting and staring, and the barber would wet my hair and then slick it back like James Bond, now that was embarassing. I was like hurry up and get this over with.

The last haircut I had at a barber shop was 6 weeks before my surgery August 31st, 2011. On August 31st, the haircut was given by Dr. Rahal's patient care tech and Dr. Rahal watching me get a buzz.

It has been 57 days I think, and so far, I haven't gotten a hair cut yet.

I don't know when I'll be back in the barber's seat, but hopefully this time, it wont be embarrassing. Especially, when they do that slick back James Bond like style while cutting my hair.

Edited by Sean

I am more concerned actually with getting a haircut post HT...I think it is ok to get one around 1 month from what I have been reading...I have no clue what I want to tell my barber...but I am going to need to clean up my hair to even it out a bit as I am sure it will look weird and uneven. I was actually thinking of going to a different barber for now until it grows back so I don't have to tell my current barber...it is a small shop and I don't want to have to explain i got a HT at the moment.

Alexdelarge,

I understand where you are coming from mate and many others will.

Going to the barbers means that I have to look in the mirror. I can't dim the lights or turn my head away to avoid seeing my very stalky and unnatural looking hairline....... And let's face it, concealers are a no no at the barbers.

My last trip was awful, mainly down to the barber who came straight out with it in front of half a dozen guys as he was running his fingers through my hairline. My red face gave him the answer he was looking for.

Do as suggested, search for a sympathetic barber: believe me, they have seen it all ......... and then some!

I have two objectives for my next HT and one of those is simply to get a haircut at the barbers. Nearly $20,000 dollars down and barely a NW2 and you would have thought that the industry would have been able to meet my goal already yeah?

Don't do anything drastic like I did. Simply find a barber that you are comfortable with mate.

Jessie

Don't go to barbers, go to hair stylists. There is a big difference: price, quality and ultimately the end result.

Explain to them that you you need them to design a hairstyle that conceals your hair loss as best as possible. That is their job. If they don't have experience with that, then go to someone who does.

Regard the hair stylist in the same manner you regard you Primary Care Doctor: hold nothing back, tell them everything. They're supposed to be professionals. You don't go to the doctor with a stomach ache complaint only to hide the fact that you have diarrhea because it's kind of embarrassing, do you?

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Don't go to barbers, go to hair stylists. There is a big difference: price, quality and ultimately the end result.

Explain to them that you you need them to design a hairstyle that conceals your hair loss as best as possible. That is their job. If they don't have experience with that, then go to someone who does.

Regard the hair stylist in the same manner you regard you Primary Care Doctor: hold nothing back, tell them everything. They're supposed to be professionals. You don't go to the doctor with a stomach ache complaint only to hide the fact that you have diarrhea because it's kind of embarrassing, do you?

Corvettester

Upvote

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Alexdelarge, I had to find a new barbers as my usual guy moved away (the selfish swine, haa) so felt anxious about the prospect of finding someone new.

It took me several awful visits to a number of places before i found the right guy for me (but he moved away, argh) and i'm more than sure i would have the same troubles again this time round, so i can sympathise with you!

Not only has the barbers got to have the mirrors at the right angles, mood lighting, not look troubled at tackling a thin head of hair and finish the job best they can in the quickest time possible, it'd be preferable if they themselves suffered from mpb, haa, no trouble at all right?

I did find a new guy and feel totally at home with giving him my blading head to work on, i built it up to be something it wasn't but i did get lucky with finding this new barber.

Regards

57mph

Corvettester

Good call, I had never thought of this before.

In reality, I should get hair cuts more often then I do. At the right length and style my hair can look pretty good. But I always wait to long and then it becomes embarrassing as they wet and come back my mass of hair to see the recession and the thinning hiding below.

I always find it odd how the barbers feel the need to comment on it, as it you hadn't noticed.

The main problem with hair cuts, for me, is that it looks really good for about a month, then once my hair starts to grow it gets worse, even a bit, it can look a lot worse. Perhaps a stylist can plan a haircut for me that takes into consideration future growth.

Does anyone else have a problem with going to a barber to get a haircut? I am real self conscious about it, as everytime the hairdresser seems to comment on my receding hairline. It's just so freaking embarrasing.

If your barber tends to make comments that you don't like then go elsewhere. Barbers are a dime a dozen.

Lots of good advice in this thread. Many if not most barbers will have seen a hair transplant before, but fewer will have seen a good one. That'll be a positive thing.

Remember that barbers see it all: hairloss of all stages, dandruff like golf balls, rashes, pimples and probably lice too. Everything embarrassing.

The thing I always hated about the barbers (including pre-hairloss) was that you'd have a row of people waiting and looking at you in the mirror. I would find out when the least busy time was and choose that time to go.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Some great advice given here, i too had an issue with this at first, but eventually found a local barber who opened late nights one day a week.

I went on the late night when it was quite and explained everything, she was totally cool with it and to her credit as soon as another client walked in she stopped talking about it in mid conversation so as not to embarrass me.

My advice is be honest, go somewhere out of town first to test the water. Or if it's such a major issue get a MOBILE hairdresser/barber to come to the house and cut the whole familys hair.......you might get a discount then lol.

Good luck, it's a scary thing at first but like HT'S you soon realise it's all worry for nothing dude :)

Great topic by the way

2 poor very poor UK ht's

2 world class repairs with Shapiro Medical Group

original thread

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...d.php?t=134995

Dr Paul's procedure http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1710

Dr Ron's procedure

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1128

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this thread really hits home. I have had my wife cut my hair since my HT due to anxiety going to a barber or hairdresser.. I would love to find a stylist that I can trust but I have no idea where to go. I live in Chicago...any suggestions?

Man, this thread really hits home. I have had my wife cut my hair since my HT due to anxiety going to a barber or hairdresser.. I would love to find a stylist that I can trust but I have no idea where to go. I live in Chicago...any suggestions?

It might be a good idea to call around. It's easier to speak up about things over the phone and you can get a feel for the barber's experience with cutting the hair of HT patients as well as their manner. There must be many options in a big city like Chicago.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

personally i'd just come right out with it. After my first FUE operation I went to a barber, it was a woman cutting my hair - I was living in Glasgow Scotland at the time, where people don't mince their words and can be quite cutting with their remarks at the best of times. As she started to comb my hair back and the newly growing hair became obvious I just laughed and said "try not to expose those too much, I had a hair transplant 2 months ago so am hiding it until it grows in". I just did it with a smile, a couple of people looked up but I just brass balled it. The result was that she was actually fascinated by it, and since I had just came out with it, the embarrassment was gone. She was asking me about it and by the end they were asking me the names of websites so they could show their husbands as an option since they were losing their hair too. It's not the barbers place to judge you, he's a barber - that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

Post-op 3-4 months, I use a hair stylist here in NYC who specializes in hair loss. He's great at cutting around a fairly fresh scar. Its nice cause he has a small studio and its usually just me and him and maybe another customer in the studio. After that 3-4 month period, I tend to primarily use a barber, which is less expensive. My latest barber, I initially told him I had (unspecified) surgery and just asked him to watch out for the scar. His response was that he sees this in a number of men. He usually does a decent job cutting around the scar since I tend to cut the sides a little short. I've got to admit that its a little uncomfortable when the barber shop is packed and he gestures at my head while discussing my hair/head with his trainee. Presumably, they're discussing my scar but who really knows cause I don't speak Russian.

Btw-I'm now about 5 days post-op with Dr. Ron Shapiro (my 4th HT over last 15 years and 1st with Dr. Shapiro). Time to figure out a hairstyle before resuming work in early December!

I got a mobile hairdresser to come to my house to cut my hair. I phoned her up and explained my situation and she came to my home with her kit and cut it there.

Not sure if you have that option where you are but if you have maybe that might be a better solution for you

Kind Regards :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014