Corvettester's Propecia Questions Regarding Shedding

Questions Regarding Shedding after starting Propecia.

1. How much shedding is to be expected? Will it be throughout my head or just in the crown? Does everyone shed?

2. Will it be noticeable? I mean, is it going to look like I'm losing my hair all over again? As you can see, I wear my hair long, so when I lose hair, it takes a really long time for it to grow back to an acceptable length. For example, my current hair length requires 10 months of growth.

3. When does the shedding typically start and for how long?

4. Is there anyway to minimize the shedding? For example, instead of starting 1mg of Propecia a day, what if I sarted at .5mg once a week for a month and then twice a week for another month, and then three times a week by the third month? Are there any types of strategies out there to minimize sheds and side effects?

As it stands now, my midsection and crown are solid. So there is no urgency to starting Propecia. For this reason, I thought it might be wise to start myself onto it gradually so as to decrease the risk of a massive shed or even severe side effects.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

I think starting with half the dosage in your case would be very wise. Some people get by on that .5 dosage indefinitely - who knows you might not even need the full 1mg. I didn't experience a shed when I started it. Or if I did I didn't really notice it. But again, everyone is different.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

There really isn't any clinical evidence that Propecia actually can cause a shed, but there are some anectodal evidence, though pretty weak. If you'd get a shed, it will not make your hair look thinner. There is no evidence what so ever that starting with 0.5 mg would prevent a shed, and even theortically it doesn't seem likely that it would matter much. I would advise you to start 1 mg/day as soon as possible to keep the hair you have. The side effects are blown out of proportion if you ask me. If you'd get serious side effects, just stop taking the drug.

There really isn't any clinical evidence that Propecia actually can cause a shed, but there are some anectodal evidence, though pretty weak. If you'd get a shed, it will not make your hair look thinner. There is no evidence what so ever that starting with 0.5 mg would prevent a shed, and even theortically it doesn't seem likely that it would matter much. I would advise you to start 1 mg/day as soon as possible to keep the hair you have.

Danny,

If I went through a shed, how could it not make my hair look thinner?

From what I've read on the HTN, shedding is quite common, if not the norm... This is the first that I've heard that no clinical evidence suggests Propecia causes shedding.

Corvettester

For your hair to look thinner, you would need an extremely large shed, which I don't think will happen with Propecia. The reports of people shedding are from patients themself, and no objective measures have proven that they really are shedding. In none of the studies on finasteride shedding has been reported as a side effec, and many experts question if shedding really occurs. For Minoxidil, there are proof that a shed is actually taking place but not with finasteride. Any way, even if a shed occurs, it's temporary and shouldn't be a factor when deciding if you should use Propecia or not.

Shedding from the use of hairloss meds can happen and does vary between patients. It's more from the initial use time period than using the product over the long term.

I have seen and heard all kinds of variations regarding shedding from both finasteride and minoxidil.

And IMHO, it is certainly worth a try to ease into the finasteride by starting with a lower daily dosage or even skipping every other day. I would consider cutting Propecia so you are starting below 1mg per day. If you start with Proscar, you still are getting 1.25 mg if you cut the pill 4 ways. That may be too much.

If you start by cutting Propecia, then you are getting roughly .25 mg per day. After one month, consider cutting Propecia in half so you are increasing your daily dosgae to .50 mg per day.

Of course you want to discuss this with your doctor first.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Corvettester,

I've been on Finasteride for a few years now and did notice a relatively significant shed in the early stages. Enough so that I actually contacted my HT surgeon for some reassurance.

That said, and this is assuming the shed had anything to do with Finasteride itself; the result was literally unnoticeable...other than the excess hairs all over the place. :) And, unlike you, I'm thinning into NW4 territory. I also wore my hair very long at the time.

Since then, my loss (due to shedding) has practically halted and the overall quality of my hair seems to have improved.

I say get on it. Having lurked here for a very LONG time, I know you're incredibly informed and always researching. Corvettester, the upsides on this one are enormous. I NEVER plan on not taking it.

It's cheap, and for me, very effective.

I know how stressful anticipating a shed can be. But, having been through it, I don't regret it for a minute.

Obviously, we all respond differently, however.

Edited by Parasol

If you aren't actively losing on top or in the crown then you probably won't see a shed. I never had a shed, even when I tried the stronger Avodart for a year. I believe the only time you see a shed is if you have miniaturized hairs and they fall out to make way for healthier hairs.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

If you aren't actively losing on top or in the crown then you probably won't see a shed. I never had a shed, even when I tried the stronger Avodart for a year. I believe the only time you see a shed is if you have miniaturized hairs and they fall out to make way for healthier hairs.

Now this is interesting... it's also a first. Thanks of sharing RCWest.

The threat of experiencing a shed is a major hang up for me. I mean, I've spent the past year waiting for this transplant to come through, and it didn't pan out like I had anticipated. So I had to go back for a second pass, and now I have to wait another year for this result.

The thought of losing any ground, even in the short term, doesn't sit well with me. As mentioned previously, I wear my hair long, it requires at least 10 months of growth to reach the length I like. To shed a bunch of hair now, even with the knowledge that it will grow back, gives me a lot of apprehension.

Anyone else have any experience or information about shedding?

Corvettester

My opinion is to stay ahead of the game...I totally understand your concern about shedding and how it would make your long hair look but how do you think you would look if you started thinning in your crown? I feel like this happens over night it seems in that one day you see your hair as healthy and then the next day you look again and bam now you have an issue. So at that point you have to start taking it and trying to chase the loss. I would start taking 0.5 mg a day like I did based on extensive research and go from there. If you shed that would suck for the reasons you stated above, but what is the alternative...that you could start thinning and then what?! You will absolutely regret not taking it now vs. taking it after you start thinning.

I personally didn't really shed as my test I used and still use is the shower test. I shampoo my head and massage the shampoo into my scalp as a normal routine but then once I am done with that I immediately check my hands to see how many hairs are there. I must say I did this before I started it and there was a good amount of hair consistently on my hands after this. After taking it for a few months, I checked again and substantially less hair now.

Bottom line...so many people in life always take medicine and/or do things after something bad has happened whereas they could have been taking it all along to PREVENT the bad thing from happening. (i.e. going to the dentist every 6 months for a routine cleaning...people never go and wait and wait then suddenly their tooth aches and they have cavities...sooo now they wind up going to the dentist anyway and having to endure extra pain getting a preventable cavity filled...all that extra pain and suffering for no reason...u ended up at the dentist anyway!). The goal for hair loss is PREVENTION ! Especially Corv after you have had 2 HT's...have to make it worth it and not lose anymore hair!

My opinion is to stay ahead of the game...I totally understand your concern about shedding and how it would make your long hair look but how do you think you would look if you started thinning in your crown? I feel like this happens over night it seems in that one day you see your hair as healthy and then the next day you look again and bam now you have an issue....

If you shed that would suck for the reasons you stated above, but what is the alternative...that you could start thinning and then what?! You will absolutely regret not taking it now vs. taking it after you start thinning.

Capelli,

Thanks for the input. You make a good, well-reasoned argument.

Does thinning really happen that fast? I mean, I figured that if I monitored it closely, I would be able to tell if my crown or midsection was about to go. All but one man in my family (paternal grandfather) has had a solid midsection and crown well into their late fifties/early sixties.

I'll be posting some pics of my crown and midsection next week. I have pics dating back almost two years so I'll be able to examine them to see if there is any noticeable difference.

Corvettester

I feel like hair loss happens over night...it is such a slow and gradual process that you never really tell when it has officially started...you only realize it when you clearly see it and by then it is too late. When I say too late i mean now you have to take Propecia and try to come from behind and defeat it but never really getting it back to where it was before. That's how I feel my thinning occurred...I am more a frontal third loss but upon going to HT docs for consultations they told me they see some beginning thinning in the back where as I never really noticed it bc like I noted above, hair loss is sooo slow and gradual I never thought that it looked bad. So I got on Propecia to stop it and hopefully revitalize the thinning hairs. I think that you are fully committed with 2 HT's already...even given that you seem to have a good history of no real hairloss, I still wouldn't chance it. I have been on it for almost 6 months and so far so good in regards to sides. I think my hair has thinned a little but nothing crazy...again it is hard to really tell outside of my shower test I noted above.

I had a little bit of shedding when I started, but not enough to make a noticeable difference in the appearance of my hair. I do understand your apprehension around the potential of short term shedding, but this is a long term proposition to keep your hair. Since you have solid hair in the crown and mid section, I think it is worth any short term impact to preserve it for the long run.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

Hi

I did experience alot of shedding but this was mainly in the crown and mid section of my scalp , this was the area i was most bald in . I shaved it all off and it just grew back thicker .

As I believe the shed happens only to the weak hairs they will be effected the most , if your crown and mid is solid this area will be least effected , your new ht hairs will also be stong and will be unaffected .

Any weak hairs left at the front may and will probberbly shed but it won't be enough for others to notice , feels more like just a bad hair day , and we all get them anyways .

I shed loads around the weakest hairs , but had an amazing result from using 1m propecia then the cheaper non branded 5mg finasteride , I used to cut it into 4 , 1.25mgs then started c utting it into 5 ,1mgs pieces , now I cut it into 6 and take 0.8mgs daily .

My only side affect was shedding . My libido and sexual function remained normal , slightly more watery semen , I have since had tests done and have normal testosterone levels and above average sperm count , no problems .

I have included an old post of mine showing pics of my progress form the meds .

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/155471-dr-feller-uk-patient-richie48-then-now-two-year-trip-meds-9-month-hair-transplant.html

Good luck but if I where you I'd do what the other posters recomend and get on the meds for provention , if are unfortinate and suffer sides , make sure they're physical and not phsycological , you will soon return to normal if you cease using .

Good luck bud

richie

Edited by richie48
spelling mistake

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

Richie,

Thanks for the post. I'm glad it's worked out well for you.

It's encouraging to know that since I have such a strong crown and midsection, my chances for shedding are less. I was not aware of this before.

Also, it's really good to know that you were able to lower your intake to .8mg a day with no loss of hair. I'd rather build up than build down as well: the less meds, the better.

I'd still like to hear from anyone else regarding any shedding or lack thereof that they experienced after starting Propecia.

Corvettester

I didn't experience any shedding on Propecia. On the contrary, after about 4 months I noticed a significant decline in the shedding I experienced before starting finasteride. If you want to make sure your hair will stay healthy,which you should after spending so much time and money on hair transplants, finasteride is the best option at the moment. Thanks to finasteride and hair transplants I now have a full head of hair, and I sure wouldn't have gotten the results I have without finasteride. If you feel it's safer to start with a lower dose, and then increase it gradually then do so.

You may also consider titrating for starting Finasteride. Try .5 mg every other day for 2 weeks, then go .5 mg a day for 2 weeks, then 1 mg every other day for 2 weeks, and finally 1 mg a day every day.

You may also consider Dr. Cooleys proven plan....1 mg on M-W-F. Anything is better than nothing.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

I have a strong crown and mid, just recession in the frontal third. I had no noticeable shed at all. (As for saying that your loss isn't happening in your crown and mid- remember it takes up to 50% loss before you notice it is thinning.) I have had no side effects from Fin except lots of new baby hairs growing where none were for years.

I have a strong crown and mid, just recession in the frontal third. I had no noticeable shed at all. As for saying that your loss isn't happening in your crown and mid- remember it takes up to 50% loss before you notice it is thinning.

Yes, I understand that I have to lose a lot before I even notice it. However, surely I'd notice something if I were looking for it. I mean, I'd wake up to a pillow covered in hair, or a hand full of hair in the shower, or notice a bunch of hair while combing or simply running my hand through my hair.

Basically, for now I'm monitoring it closely. I'm taking photos every three or four months too. I will come to a decision in the next couple months on whether or not to start. I just want to make the most well-informed decision possible.

I once spoke with a guy my age who had some sort of rare reaction to Propecia. It made his hair very oily and greasy and within a month or two, he went through a major shed that never grew back! Apparently his doctor even agreed that he had had some sort of allergic reaction to Propecia and was one of the very rare cases where it actually makes your hair fall out! Stories like that scare the bejesus out of me.

I mean, I know the odds are low, but so are the odds of having a low yield with an HT... but I was one of the few who did! So I'm not playing the statistics anymore. My experience with my HT has proven to me that you simply cannot rely on minimal risk as an assurance because you could very well be one of the unlucky few.

Corvettester