Eighteen and balding

Hi, all. Ever since I was fourteen, I've been slowly balding. It was never really noticeable until this year, and I have a line of hair almost completely gone right down the middle of my head. I'm only eighteen now, and I just finished my freshman year of college. My girlfriend of almost two years isn't too pleased with the whole situation, and I'm somewhat ashamed this is happening to me before I can even begin a career. I have less hair than my dad, and he's almost sixty years old, wondering why I have so little hair. It's a 5A on the Edwood scale.

I've had an incredibly stressful life for someone my age, and I know that attributes quite a bit to this problem. Surgery is out of the question, and seeing a doctor about it is, as well, as my parents would just worry about me until they saw something improve, so I came here.

Is there any advice to be had?

Thank you all.

270346_10150727303965175_647130174_20265972_5142791_n.jpg.31002d8e90510fe0a05797af3fc0335a.jpg

Edited by BrassEffect

BrassEffect,

Welcome! I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Your hair loss is very advanced for your age and the best advice anyone can give you at this point it to:

1. Try shaving your head and see if it suits you.
  2. See a doctor about Propecia (finasteride). It will probably allow you to maintain the hair you have now and may improve the overall density.
  3. Try Rogaine (minoxidil). Even better if you use Propecia and Rogaine.

The bottom line is, if you are serious about getting some answers and possibly stabilizing your hair loss, you will need to consult with a hair loss expert, whether it be a dermatologist or one of our recommended hair restoration physicians.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

sorry to hear about your problem at your young age.

I am no expert but if i were in your place i would do the following:

start shaving my head and use rogaine to maintain what I have, till im ready for HT or they find a cure for baldness (which might be in the next 10 years).

Work out hard, since people with shaved heads and NICE bodies do attract girls,... and by doing that you will feel good about your self and your body will give you the confident that your hair was once taking away from you....

That's the most advanced balding I've seen in an 18 year old. Sorry bro that really sucks I know.

I like the advice given to you so far. Shave it down. Take propecia. Maybe Rogaine Foam too. No transplants. Pray for a cloning cure.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Sorry, starting hairloss at 14 really blows. I started noticing hair falling out excessively towards the front hairline at 16, but I was fortunate it kept growing back fast and I was a only a norwood 3-ish by the time I was 30, then was able to get a HT at 31.

I agree with other posters, I think based on your picture you can pull off a shaved head and Goatee look that so many women (or men) seem to like nowadays. A buff body wouldt hurt either ;)

Brass

Im sorry and there are a lot of people on here who can relate. A lot of people on here starting losing there hair in there teens, you are not alone there. At 14, that is very young, and I know now at 18 you are not a candidate for surgery. However, at 25, you may be an ideal cadidate. Try to get on meds as soon as possible.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Thanks for the advice. My head is almost always shaven (I cut it to 1/8" to avoid sunburn), so I think I'll stick with that. I just don't enjoy the long periods of time where I'm too busy to shave it.

My girlfriend decided she's fine with the balding. "Beauty on the inside" and all that. I've been getting buffer and and am keeping the goatee. :)

Sucks don't it, get on finasteride, try to get comfortable with short hair and if still not comfortable with it we'll see ya back around your 25th birthday when it is concrete clear your baldness pattern and how well you respond to medication.

I advise you wait till 25 to pull the trigger on transplantation, plus cloning might come to pass in the next seven years. I waited till 26 to get a transplant, I'm 27 now, and going to get a touch up soon I think to complete the restoration.

But I started losing my hair at 19 and got on finasteride at 22, advance to a norwood 3a hairloss, hated it, looked 35 at 19 through 26. No problem being 35 but i want to look 35 when I'm 35.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Thanks for the advice. My head is almost always shaven (I cut it to 1/8" to avoid sunburn), so I think I'll stick with that. I just don't enjoy the long periods of time where I'm too busy to shave it.

My girlfriend decided she's fine with the balding. "Beauty on the inside" and all that. I've been getting buffer and and am keeping the goatee. :)

Good for you ad your GF. Great attitude!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website