Medication

Hello,

I see that there is discussion about medication in conjunction with hair transplant surgery but I cant find a thread with more information about what the medication is, how is it taken and for how long post op.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hmmm are you talking about medication to prevent further hairless then I guess you would be talking about propecia, rogaine, and nizoral shampoo. However, you may be talking about specific drugs the surgeon prescribes for post op recovery, if that's the case, you'll have to contact your surgeon.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

The medication you are probably referring to is Propecia, also known as Finasteride. It should actually be started at the first signs of hair loss. It can stop and even sometimes reverse hair loss if you start it soon. It must be taken for life to keep the benefits.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

IH,

The medications you are most likely referring to are Finasteride (Propecia) and Minoxidil (Rogaine).

Some patients do not want to utilize these medications for a lifetime but when having a hair transplant we suggest those patients begin finasteride a few weeks before the procedure and continue for eight months post operative. This is to minimize the potential shock loss from a hair transplant surgery and add to the overall effect while the newly transplanted hair initiates growth.

Ideally, the patients will continue with the medications (as indicated) to maximize the full potential of the combination surgery/medicine to accomplish their hair restoration goals.

We have a few patients who are very adverse to taking medication and we present the possible benefits of at least, a short course of RX therapy adjunctively to the surgery (6-8 months before discontinuing).

"Opinions and expressions are solely my own!"

IrishHair,

Just to clarify, you will not need medication in order to retain the growth of your transplanted hairs as these are taken from the "permanent" donor supply at the rear and sides of your head. However, since androgenic alopecia (male pattern balding) is a progressive condition, the majority of hair restoration surgeons highly recommend that patients take steps to medically stabilize their hair loss.

Currently, the only clinically proven and FDA approved medical hair loss treatments are Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil). In addition, many people (including me) add Nizoral shampoo to their regimen.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 weeks later...

I would take procecia for a recommended period of time before and after the operation but I have read a long list of side effects with the use of propecia and would prefer not to take it for more than a few months post op.

Rogaine and Nizoral will be added but I would be more of the thinking of getting work done as required when the baldness pattern progresses.

Thanks for the information.

The medication would not be worth taking only for a few months, it is intended for indefinite use, lasting many years and decades. he side effects are considered rare usually less than a 1% of all users. You are not required to use them, but they are very beneficial.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The medication would not be worth taking only for a few months, it is intended for indefinite use, lasting many years and decades. he side effects are considered rare usually less than a 1% of all users. You are not required to use them, but they are very beneficial.

This. If you are only planning on taking it forma short time, I wouldn't even start taking it!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Thats what I was thinking.

Alternatively for me a better option would be to get additional grafts as needed if that would be a viable plan?

Going by the older male members of my family the sides and back retain thick hair and would hopefully provide a sufficient donor area going forward.

Not only would I take Propecia to keep the hairs on the top of your head but for your permanent (donor) zone as well. There has been occasional anecdotal evidence that miniaturization in the donor region is improved when taking finasteride. This has not been studied or scientifically proven but I have seen a handful examples on the forums where the donor region benefits from the meds. Don't psyche yourself out. Try the meds to see if they work for you because they work for the vast majority of men who take it - and side effects are extremely rare despite all the horror stories perpetuated on the internet.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

You have to think long term and where you might be 10-15 years down the line? I would always reccomend getting on the meds, if anything think of preservation vs' growth.

Remember once the clock starts ticking for us hair loss victims that means each and every day that horrible thng called DHT is slowly but surely eating away and corroding the healthy shafts that you may have left. Just like rust on a car. I can promise you this 1 year from now you will have more hair lost and minituarized from the attck of DHT than you have today, compound this by 10-15 yeras, hormonal changes, metabolism, and general aging and you are on a sure but steady decline.

To make it more real think of it like a pension or even better an insurance poicy i.e like a pension build up a reserve of funds ( protected hair follicles now) so that when you want to draw upon those follicles you have a health you have a healthy suppy protected from DHT erosion.

there is no short term solution to a long term problem.

You want to get on the finasteride and regain foam this investment on medication will cost you about $100-$120 per year for foam and $150 or so in generic proscar.

worth it totally

:)2250 Strip Dr Feller

:)1900 Strip Dr Feller

-----------------------------------

2 Great HT's & Experiences

-----------------------------------