Dr. Wong/4564 Grafts/One Session/Turban

**UPDATE FOR HD VIDEO**

As with many young Sikh males this patient wore a tightly wound turban for many years. The result was traction alopecia where the constant pulling of the hair on both the left, right and the frontal 1/3 of his scalp eventually left these areas almost hairless.

In one session Dr. Wong used 4564 grafts to recreate both sides and the frontal hairline. The after photos were taken fifteen days post-op. Final results will be shared in eight to twelve months.

hwrs4564_001.jpg?30220196

hwrs4564_002.jpg?1281800800

hwrs4564_003.jpg?2121960539

hwrs4564_004.jpg?1767376343

hwrs4564_005.jpg?1891107250

hwrs4564_006.jpg?1459772158

hwrs4564_007.jpg?101739572

hwrs4564_008.jpg?574442455

hwrs4564_009.jpg?1981626773

hwrs4564_010.jpg?2026192537

hwrs4564_011.jpg?457327205

hwrs4564_012.jpg?2023045494

hwrs4564_013.jpg?1906619260

hwrs4564_014.jpg?1994955978

hwrs4564_015.jpg?2025181535

hwrs4564_016.jpg?917291137

hwrs4564_017.jpg?911767447

hwrs4564_018.jpg?1323895462

***UPDATE*** 5.5 Months

The patient has come in for a follow up visit with Dr. Wong. These are his results thus far. The improvement appears to be quite dramatic and is expected to only get better in the coming months. I'll update more when he returns in a few more months.

img_5209.jpg?1799841066

img_5212.jpg?592647615

img_5220.jpg?363958043

img_5227.jpg?596736551

img_5232.jpg?904629951

Click the following link to see the HD Video of this patient...

Hair Transplant Videos - Before & After Videos Page 1

Edited by Jotronic

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Looks like great work.

Please tell me the post-op care instructions included "DO NOT WEAR A TURBAN AGAIN. EVER!"

But seriously, how do you delicately let them know that their religious attire is causing them to lose their hair? Did this guy denounce his religion or something after the procedure?

Traction alopecia is so unnecessary.

Edited by aaron1234

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Jo,

What an interesting case (and, like aaron said, a tricky subject). The work looks great! Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Please tell me the post-op care instructions included "DO NOT WEAR A TURBAN AGAIN. EVER!"

But seriously, how do you delicately let them know that their religious attire is causing them to lose their hair? Did this guy denounce his religion or something after the procedure?

Aaron 1234

It is not the turban that causes the Traction Alopecia but the long hair repeatedly twisted into a tight top-knot under the turban. In fact, he probably wore a top-knot in childhood long before he ever wore a turban. He would not get further Traction Alopecia if he kept his hair short and wore a turban but he probably has no plans to do that.

I live and work in Toronto, which, like Vancouver, is a multi-cultural city. I also have Seikh patients who have had similar hair loss. I have not met this man and cannot speak for him but some of my patients related how difficult it was to go against their family's wishes and beliefs to adopt a Western look to fit in better in their adopted society. Once they have decided to cut their hair and stop wearing a turban, they had no intentions of wearing it again.

In other words, we don't have to tell them anything. They already know!

Cam Simmons MD ABHRS

Seager Medical Group,

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dr. Cam Simmons is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 3 months later...

Dr. Simmons,

I didn't actually say it was from his turban specifically. In fact, it is not from a turban at all but from a pukta, and yes, from his hair being pulled so tight.

I have just uploaded the 5.5 month update for this patient. They are pasted in the original post up top.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Great growth already but I love the graft placement even more. A fine strategy for this patient.

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Wow...what an amazing transformation!!! He must be thrilled thus far! Good Stuff!!!

Wow look at where his hairline was originally. How often do these people suffer from genetic hair loss?

The new hair is going to be outstanding!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Wow look at where his hairline was originally. How often do these people suffer from genetic hair loss?

Yeah, I was wondering if future balding is taken into consideration with traction alopecia patients. I'm sure that some actually experience both MPB and traction hair loss.

I must admit I don't like this case. Diffrent of density in transplantet hair and oryginaly is very notacible.

True because it's only been five months. Give it another 2 or 3 months....

I must admit I don't like this case. Diffrent of density in transplantet hair and oryginaly is very notacible.

I thought that at first but when you read the description some of the photos are less than 2 weeks out, and even the most recent ones (which look substantially better) are only a few months out. He has well over 5 or 6 months of good maturity yet - I think his results are actually going to be stellar!

I also wondered about the MPB issue though; is he on preventative medication? And, if not, is the lack of MPB strongly suspected? Or has it simply been a case of the patient strongly desiring this number of grafts as a cosmetic improvement regardless of future risks?

I think the starting point of this case should be strongly reconsidered. This patient had a very unusual hair loss pattern that looked like nothing seen in nature, thus causing stares and second glances with no option to conceal the issue. This was extremely disconcerting for the patient. In addition the patient has very high donor density as Dr. Wong was able to harvest the given number of grafts from only one half of his donor area so donor supply in the future is a non-issue. However, the chances of him having MPB, or at least enough to warrant additional surgeries, was considered to be very low based on his family history.

I think the starting point of this case should be strongly reconsidered. This patient had a very unusual hair loss pattern that looked like nothing seen in nature, thus causing stares and second glances with no option to conceal the issue. This was extremely disconcerting for the patient. In addition the patient has very high donor density as Dr. Wong was able to harvest the given number of grafts from only one half of his donor area so donor supply in the future is a non-issue. However, the chances of him having MPB, or at least enough to warrant additional surgeries, was considered to be very low based on his family history.

I assumed as much. It's an interesting case because it does throw up a lot of additional concerns and questions about future MPB likelihood, donor reserves and the patient's goals.

I was just curious to know what the considerations were in the eyes of the doctors. But, clearly, if advanced MPB was very unlikely and given the very high donor yield, this was a very, very vaild surgery for the patient!

The results look fantastic anyway. And it's always good to see different cases like this, where traditional MPB is not the primary concern for the patient. All HTs are life changing, but this one is perhaps even more so, given where this patient started out!

I was just curious to know what the considerations were in the eyes of the doctors.

While no surgery is taken lightly these types of surgeries do have additional considerations to keep in mind so yeah, this was looked at from each and every angle. Thanks for your questions and input.

I have a few questions regarding this patients hairloss. From my understanding traction alopecia has no genetic component to it. With that being said, if this patient has no predisposition for male patern baldness his hair quailty should always remain great as it is not going to miniturize. From my prospective, there is no reason to think this patient will ever need any future work and his transplanted hair will not be different like other patients hair is (weak etc). This guy is lucky in that regard...I am expecting basically a perfiect result in this case.

Disphair,

(clever name:)) True, there is not a genetic component to his hair loss but we must still be mindful to a degree and at least consider the prospect that genetics may harbor a turn for the worse in the future which is why we were rather adamant about learning more regarding the patient's family history. All signs lead to a the decision that is shared on this thread and we'll continue to update as the patient returns for more visits.

Hey guys, we took some HD video of this patient and uploaded it to our site. Once it is uploaded to Youtube I'll update it with the embedded version...

Hair Transplant Videos - Before & After Videos Page 1