Grafts not shedding...

Hi All,

its been 9 weeks since i had my procedure done most of the grafts( 40-50%) are still there. they are definetly not growing any longer but they are not shedding either.. has any one been through anything like this here before? is it safe to pull the grafts out?

Are you referring to the scabs? If so, have you spoken to your surgeon about this? Grafts are usually anchored in about 14 days or so after the surgery and they usually come off when you (gently) was your scalp.

If you're referring to the hairs themselves, then they might just be taking a little longer to either fall out or start growing. It varies from person to person and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hi Bishal84

Have a look here. I had a similar experience with my HT too. In my case, I was a tad too gentle with the grafts. Even otherwise, as I have read online from other users' experiences, its normal to see some grafts still intact. You could see them slowly shed in the next couple of weeks. Maybe, you can try applying more pressure on the recipient area than you've been doing all this while. This shouldn't be something to worry about, I guess...

Doc advised me to slowly pull them out and see if they come out.I did pull out few but just worried to do anymore..is it safe to do this after nearly 10 weeks? Will it affect the growth?

I'm surprised that your doctor told you to pull your hairs. It's been 10 weeks with no problem, so I'd leave them alone and see what happened. 10 weeks is WAY past the danger zone, and nothing short of a catastrophe will harm your grafts.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Doc advised me to slowly pull them out and see if they come out.I did pull out few but just worried to do anymore..is it safe to do this after nearly 10 weeks? Will it affect the growth?

I'd be nervous too if I had to forcibly remove my own hair, but if your doctor recommended it, I'm sure its safe. RCwest is right, your grafts should be good after 10 weeks.

The initial hair is likely just sort of dead and stuck in your scalp. Doubt it would hurt anything being there. You still should have a dormant healthy follicle chillin underneath. The only hairs I had that didn't fall out where on my temple areas. Some of that hair stayed and started growing in the first few months.

9 weeks isn't that long, I wouldn't force anything out at this point.