Dr. Shapiro or Dr. Rahal for FUE (bout 3200 grafts)

Choice down to either Dr. Shapiro or Dr. Rahal for a FUE transplant, is the "obvious" answer Dr. Shapiro?

I need about 3000-3200 grafts (prefer everything done within a week).

The thing is, I actually live about 25 minutes from Rahal's office and know he's got great strip work, but is it better to trust Dr. Shapiro (maybe Bisanga) for FUE due to more client feedback here?

Edited by cool2dunk

Of course Dr. Rahal. Buddy extracting the grafts is not the big deal. The big deal is how to handle them and implant them properly with dense packing them successfully to have more satisfying looks. I do respect both surgeons, actually Ron Shapiro was my 2nd choice. But if you are from Ottawa then dint waste your budget and go far while the most popular doctor in the forum is right next to you. Thats my friendly advice to you and I will leave the floor to the others.

For your info, If I'm planning to do FUE in the future with Dr. Bisanga, that is because i live in the middle east where Europe is closer. But If I was living or staying in North America, then Rahal would be my choice for strip and FUE for sure. You can ask the Rahal clinic to show more examples of their FUE work personally, Im sure they will send you loads. When I asked them to show more examples of my case, they loaded my email with pics. Not sure who is in charge now after Adrian left but you can ask Tara about it.

Good Luck with FUE, its the best cosmetic solution, no more smiley scars.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

3,000 grafts is quite a lot for an FUE procedure. I don't know if either doc would even go that far in one or even two days.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

Both docs are top notch in my opinion.

When it comes down to a choice like this, I feel like it's appropriate to consider "soft" variables such as price, location, convenience, accessibility, etc... Hence, I would go with Rahal in this case. However, if you live 25 minutes from SMG, then I would go with them.

From personal experience, I can attest to how reassuring and comforting it is to know that at any time I can just jump on the subway and be in my docs office 25 minutes later. I understand that this is not a primary concern for everyone, but it is for me. I like to feel supported and have access to my doc if I feel like I need it. So far, I have gone in for follow ups every two months and my doc has been more than welcoming.

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

Hariri, I have to disagree. The extraction of fue grafts is an extremely delicate process and is equally, if not more important, to the success of the procedure. There is a reason so few clinics offer fue: it is a very slow process and takes a highly skilled hand, and proper tools, to extract those grafts carefully. I have seen it done in person, and frankly I'm not sure how someone could do that type of surgery without experiencing fatigue, especially with a high number of grafts. Once you see it done you begin to understand why the success rate is less for fue, and why few docs attempt it. You need to be meticulous.

Cool, I would also count surgeon/tech experience as a big factor, and I believe Shapiro has more than Rahal, although both are relatively new with it. As others have stated, both are great docs, but definitely do your homework and see as many fue results as possible; especially big sessions. I would also consider seeing Dr. Feller, as well as True and Dorin. I realize New York is a farther trip, but you should consider all your options with a procedure like this. Best of luck

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

cool2dunk, if you're that close to Dr Rahal's office then why not just pop in and meet him?

I was with him in London yesterday and he showed me some very good FUE results on his camera. One guy has spectacular growth at 4 months post op. The case will be available to see after Dr Rahal gets back from travelling.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

Hariri, I have to disagree. The extraction of fue grafts is an extremely delicate process and is equally, if not more important, to the success of the procedure. There is a reason so few clinics offer fue: it is a very slow process and takes a highly skilled hand, and proper tools, to extract those grafts carefully. I have seen it done in person, and frankly I'm not sure how someone could do that type of surgery without experiencing fatigue, especially with a high number of grafts. Once you see it done you begin to understand why the success rate is less for fue, and why few docs attempt it. You need to be meticulous.

Cool, I would also count surgeon/tech experience as a big factor, and I believe Shapiro has more than Rahal, although both are relatively new with it. As others have stated, both are great docs, but definitely do your homework and see as many fue results as possible; especially big sessions. I would also consider seeing Dr. Feller, as well as True and Dorin. I realize New York is a farther trip, but you should consider all your options with a procedure like this. Best of luck

I agree 100%

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I had an excellent FUE experience with Shapiro Medical Group (Dr. Paul Shapiro performed the surgery) about ten days ago. From what I understand though, if you're undergoing a FUE procedure at SMG, I believe the upper limit is 2000 grafts. I had 1578 (most of the work was done the first day). I'm fortunate enough to live only 20 minutes from the clinic. I can't say that factor wasn't considered.

Tbh, if you need 3000 grafts you would be a lot better of with a strip procedure. Obviously you chose FUE because you don't want a scar and I feel the same way. But take a look at Rahals scars they are the best around and are virtually undetectable!

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

of course im biased as i had my surgery with Dr. Rahal but with the growth im seeing and all his new reviews of patients with similiar results i would say rahal hands down.

Yeah, for 3000 grafts or more do a strip procedure. FUE won't cut it for megasessions imo.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group