I scheduled my hair transplant

mbd

I'm on my way to becoming a 6 on the Norwood scale. I was been in denial for a while about balding. I knew it was going to happen, all the men on my paternal side are bald, or have little hair. For the past few years, I've dreaded getting haircuts because at the end, the barber would hold a mirror behind my head.

So at the beginning of this year, I started doing research about hair transplants (effectiveness, costs, reviews, etc..). I went on five consultations, then began the process of evaluating each one to narrow down. First, I eliminated two clinics because I met with administrators, not the doctors that would perform the surgeries; these were also the clinics that offered the two lowest prices on a per graft basis. I was very impressed with the remaining three surgeons, and I feel that I would have been satisfied using any of them. I then eliminated a surgeon because I would have had to travel to his clinic, and he also charged the highest price. The final two were a crapshoot. Ultimately, I chose the surgeon that I felt used the most modern technique because the treatment will include the use of ACell and PRP. At this time, I prefer not to name the doctors.

I did not rush into this decision, and I have done a lot of research, I feel that I made a great decision, both in terms for the doctor that I chose and for my future confidence levels.

Thank you fellow forumites for all your posts and your willingness to share your unique stories.

My surgery is scheduled for May 27th. Afterwards, I will post the results.

For me, the wait and anticipation of even getting the HT was almost as hard as the anticipation of growth!

I even had them put me on the "Cancellation List" so that I could get in earlier in case some other client had to cancel last minute.

Good luck and keep us posted. Pics are welcome too!

Corvettester

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Dorin

1,696 FUT with Dr. Dorin on October 18, 2010.

1,305 FUT with Dr. Dorin on August 10, 2011.

565 FUE with Dr. Dorin on September 14, 2012.

• 1 month later...

Dear MBD,

Thanks for sharing your progress. I perused your hair transplant photos form Dr. Hitzig. Not to be alarmist, but with the relatively large scabs on your noggin, each spaced at a considerable distance apart, the work seems to more state of the art for 1972 than 2011. Am I missing something? This does not look like the kind of work I've seen from modern-day transplant surgeons. What is going on here?

TC

Edited by TomCruise

MBD, I will be an alarmist and say that the work you had done, judging by your pictures, is not state-of-the-art work as tomcruise pointed out. Sadly, Gary Hitzig has not seemed to have advanced in his work at all. This is a "doctor" who had a class-action suit against him in the 90s I believe, and he was accused of not only butchering people, but letting a sanitation worker do cutting and placing of grafts. He is also the hack who trained the "doctor" who did shoddy work on me, Joseph Karamikian. Thankfully Karamikian was run out of business.These guys are the ones who give HTs a bad name.

Looking at your pictures I can tell you he used large, multi-haired grafts. These will give you not only poor coverage, but a stalky, unnatural look. I suggest you start consulting now with some reputable HT docs and find out what options you might have in the future for repair work. If you want to see what modern, refined HT work looks like, check out the pics on my site. You will notice barely any scabbing, tiny incision sites, and you can see the individual hairs neatly placed. The kind of work Dr. Feller, and other recommended docs on this site, perform utilizes true follicular units and dense packing. This technique provides a dense, natural looking HT.

Honestly, I cannot believe that in this day and age hacks like Hitzig can still get away with this kind of sub-subpar work....

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I have to agree, and I really do hate to say it. This does not appear at all to be a satisfactory HT. I would start researching right now (again) as to who the top docs are and get a consultation. You appear to have been scammed.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I am new to these forums but I have been doing a tremendous amount of research and I can tell you that this is not normal.

Your post-op wounds look bad.

Did you really use Hitzig? I hope you did your research. He let garbage workers perform surgery on his patients years ago. Not a man to be trusted.

You should seek out a top repair doctor now. It sounds like you live on the East Coast. The best doctors to see are probably Dr. Berstein or Dr Feller.

If you live on the west coast, I would suggest Dr. Rassman.

Midwest, Dr. Shapiro.

These are all people I would consider if I had to trust someone with my hair.

You should never let distance be a factor.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

MBD,

unfortunately it seems Hitzig really is nothing but a hack of the worst kind. I had a HT at his practice last year. The result of my HT has been devastating: the grafting he did is so poor that I have almost no coverage in my crown and he's left me with a really painful gigantic scar in the donor area too. Acell did not work on me at all and the size of my my scar is proof of it. I had his PRP injections on top too and they have made zero difference, but cost a fortune.

MBD - Did Hitzig actually do the HT himself? I had some tatooed guy do mine and from his appearance I wasn't convinced he was a surgeon. The outcome of my HT would indicate this also. I really hope you have had a better experience than me.

I've just seen Hairthere's story about the santation worker doing transplants and the class suit taken against Hitzig!!! How does this guy continue to be allowed to operate??

Anyone else got experience with Hitzig?

My advice is stay well away from him. :mad:

I looked at this guy's post op. Shocking.

Hitzig - sounds like the name of a Nazi war criminal....

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

(Link removed by moderator)

Edited by TakingThePlunge

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.