What THEY Dont Tell You

while your hairline looks fantastic...your scar can be detected from a mile away given the length of hair you are wearing...which is the primary reason why i am not undergoing surgery at the moment. the limitation of a HT is wearing short hair. that sucks. once the incision is made, you gave up shaving and any short hairstyles for life. not something i am willing to do at the moment.

moses,

Well, you must understand a few things here: 1) the photos I posted of my scar were intentionally intended to portray the worst case scenario in terms of lighting (bright outdoor light, nowhere to run or hide:o) 2) they were taken shortly after a buzz cut to less than 1/2" length !! take a good look and you can see easily thru to my skin all over my head 3) I don't have the greatest hair density (70 fu per sq cm), and my hair shaft diameter is medium fine 4) I was still only at 8 months post op when those shots were taken and you can see that the scar is still red in some areas 5) there is one area of the scar in the rear that has a bit of shockloss and is also the widest, and this IMO brings out the noticability of it the most

Taking all of these factors into consideration, I still feel that the scar is not very noticable and certainly does not "scream HT" or stand out from a mile away like you say. In real life I have found that nobody is paying much attention to the rear of your head, and also in real life the lighting changes dramatically by the second as you move your head and therefore you cannot compare this to how the scar looks in a very revealing still photo deliberately taken to portray the worst case scenario; in other words, in real life the human eye cannot focus in the way it can in photos like these because the head will be constantly moving and changing position.

Also, I have found that even at less than 1/2" length buzz cut if you spend 30 seconds sprinkling Toppik around the scar line then it completely dissapears; so I disagree that you can never have a REALLY short haircut with a good strip tricho closure. Seriously bro, an extra 30 seconds each day to apply Toppik (IF I wanted a less than 1/2" buzz cut as a matter of styling choice) is not really a big deal to me considering the upside.

So I will now take this opportunity to post more photos:

The first 4 shots were taken at the 8 month mark right after the buzz cut (to less than 1/2") with a little Toppik sprinkled around the scar, and in very harsh flourescent indoor light. If you really feel that the scar stands out from a mile away in these photos then I will have to ask -- what are you smoking ? :P

The next 7 shots were taken today with the hair around 3/4" in length, outdoors in the most revealing light possible. Again, this is the absolute worst case scenario for exposing the scar. Indoor lighting (yes, even the harshest flourescent light) is much more forgiving than this. Does the scar still look like a toupe line to you in these shots ? (lol) The 2nd to last shot shows the worst area of the scar which is in the rear to the right of center.

5b32cca630478_1-26-11withToppik007.jpg.8566ca863b39105818d0e2778e010f4f.jpg

5b32cca64e9c9_1-26-11withToppik008.jpg.95436b8055ef16fea35e6a6dc2b5f3ee.jpg

5b32cca65d526_1-26-11withToppik009.jpg.0826ea89dae933563bf45de9985a0a9c.jpg

5b32cca671c8c_1-26-11withToppik010.jpg.fe28c4d778c957574324898c7068ddec.jpg

5b32cca684ad1_2-17-2011011.jpg.12b096b3fd87cdc69bf069e02c2f5e40.jpg

5b32cca71273a_2-17-2011013.jpg.0b46baa2426a39a2805897f7401adcf3.jpg

5b32cca72d4e2_2-17-2011017.jpg.93fc1ba83930a7f9064648f2085c7b16.jpg

5b32cca76517a_2-17-2011018.jpg.9cd84c1a071eb8345bf9c5652e20d3b6.jpg

5b32cca7da3db_2-17-2011019.jpg.543bd583b754f72127aef32e5e6114f0.jpg

5b32cca89db45_2-17-2011028.jpg.f8440b0cf4c8b2a6ccbd04cdc823aff1.jpg

5b32cca8ad25b_2-17-2011029.jpg.40fec5d689095badba419dff0689c18c.jpg

Edited by EpilepticSceptic
correction on hair length

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I could not post any more pics in my previous post, I'll post the rest here:

The first 3 shots were taken today in the same indoor location and same lighting I took the first 4 shots in (in the previous post), but this time there is no Toppik.

And finally, the last 2 shots were taken today indoors in more normal, moderate lighting conditions. Does anybody see a "toupe line" sticking out like a sore thumb from a mile away in these shots ?

As a final statement on this issue I would like to add that IMO there is not very much difference (concerning image/hairstyles) between 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" or 1" hair length. With 3/4" or 1" you still get that neat and clean military look if it is trimmed evenly all the way around. So I cannot really understand what the big fuss is about losing the option to buzz down to 1/4" ? Compare my photos taken today to the ones where the hair was 1/2" -- is there really that much of a difference in terms of the general hairstyle perception ?

IMO letting it grow out to 3/4" does not alter the buzz look very much at all. I mean really, is 3/4" hair length not considered short hair ? I guess if you are seriously going major bald and need to buzz down to near skin to hide the monk fringe then you have justification to be worried about losing that option ; but in that case you have no business seeking ANY type of HT IMO anyway!

5b32cca8be8e9_2-17-2011020.jpg.ed87bce72a18c11ba3882836fe391078.jpg

5b32cca8d74db_2-17-2011021.jpg.d8983aa2eda990afeca06b704b1d6e6b.jpg

5b32cca9062c5_2-17-2011022.jpg.9a3056e53e09eaa2f83e08505dd66da8.jpg

5b32cca9239d6_2-17-2011032.jpg.fb7bf91a11ac2b8f30fd1f4fe85f00d0.jpg

5b32cca93121b_2-17-2011034.jpg.a28186db1f6d5bb30ea61ce91ec16d3a.jpg

IMO people can't distinguish between an HT scar and an accident scar. The only ones that can tell its a HT is the doctors and the people like us in the forums that have done their research about HTs or that are regulars of this forum.

It will surprise you that not even the guys @ barber shops can tell if it's a HT or not....

Hi,

Your HT result is really good. I think that when everything goes well with a HT that most people will get a good result. But we really need to do our homework on when researching the limitations of HT and also make sure that the clinic is top notch.

I see a number of young men undergoing HT's (not directing this comment to you) when their hairloss is minimal.

Regards

Rod

IMO people can't distinguish between an HT scar and an accident scar. The only ones that can tell its a HT is the doctors and the people like us in the forums that have done their research about HTs or that are regulars of this forum.

It will surprise you that not even the guys @ barber shops can tell if it's a HT or not....

I agree and disagree.

I think if the scar is poor and very obvious (meaning that you can CLEARLY see the smiley face from ear to ear) then some people will make an issue of it in public and bring it up to you which I would certainly not be happy with.

But if there are only small areas where you can see it thru the hair (but still cannot discern a 12" ear to ear smiley face) then it just looks like a normal everyday scar that nobody would think twice about.

When I had my hair buzzed down a few weeks back the barber did not notice a thing until I pointed it out to him. Then, once he knew what to look for he was able to spot it; but still he was amazed and said he would never have been the wiser had I not pointed it out. When I mentioned the HT he was stunned because he said the hair up top looks completely normal to him. I had to show him my old driver's license for him to believe me.

I constantly see guys with buzzed heads who have VERY noticable scars, some quite ugly/wide and with no chance of hiding it because it was from an accident. These guys don't seem to have any issues with exposing scars on their heads, and I don't get the feeling that they are too worried about people in public seeing them.

• 3 weeks later...
in my experience those are really the only people who should be getting a hair transplant. Once you go beyond nw 3, the chances of achieving a good result decline precipitously.

hair transplant kills miniaturized hair, period

Hair transplant scars are very distinct and obvious when seen. Bosley has been all over the TV since the 80s and celebrities like jeremy piven have been called out on the scar and been all over the news and web

The whole point to this is that there are doctors out there who continue to hold credentials and they are breaking every rule in the book morally, ethically....and they basically have no responsibility if something goes wrong because you usually will sign a waiver. I am living proof of being a NW2 before the surgery and now a 3+ in just 2 years. Shock loss is real! Placing hair at the wrong angle is REAL! Pitting is Real! Cobblestoning is Real! Horrible looking scars is Real! Ingrown hairs, itchy scalp where the grafts are placed, pain in the donor area, scar tissue blocking blood supply to native hair...i have experience with all of these things just from 1 procedure

Here we go again.........;)

The whole point to this is that there are doctors out there who continue to hold credentials and they are breaking every rule in the book morally, ethically....and they basically have no responsibility if something goes wrong because you usually will sign a waiver. I am living proof of being a NW2 before the surgery and now a 3+ in just 2 years. Shock loss is real! Placing hair at the wrong angle is REAL! Pitting is Real! Cobblestoning is Real! Horrible looking scars is Real! Ingrown hairs, itchy scalp where the grafts are placed, pain in the donor area, scar tissue blocking blood supply to native hair...i have experience with all of these things just from 1 procedure

I 100% agree with you. When you choice the wrong doctor you have a strong possiblity of these happening. I am fortunate like many others on this forum that choice the right doctor so I didnt have anything you mentioned. But I have seem many repairs that have.

But you are starting to sound like a broken record. Its like the guy that falls in love with a girl and then she cheats on him and breaks his heart. Does that mean all women are lying cheating and will break your heart? Absolutely not so when somebody find the right girl your way of thinking is foreign to them.

In order to have an intelligent conversation you have to be able to see both sides of the spectrum. I am able to agree that many doctors in the industry are bad. But a small majority are good moral and do a great job. Take a look at the results on this forum and see the great results. If you are unable to understand what I am saying or too one sided to see the different this post is going no where. There no doubt that you got screwed and I believe you. Many other like myself can say our hair transplant was one of the best decison they have ever made.

Can you post some pictures???

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

In my experience those are really the only people who should be getting a hair transplant. Once you go beyond NW 3, the chances of achieving a good result decline precipitously.

It all depends on the number of grafts you'll get and who's your surgeon. If you can get 5000+ and your surgeon is one of the top professionals, there's no question that your appearance will improve drastically. It all depends on your expectations. I just wanted to kill the bald look and I wasn't expecting density as if I were 16 again.

Edited by Michael5577

Here we go again.........;)

I 100% agree with you. When you choice the wrong doctor you have a strong possiblity of these happening. I am fortunate like many others on this forum that choice the right doctor so I didnt have anything you mentioned. But I have seem many repairs that have.

But you are starting to sound like a broken record. Its like the guy that falls in love with a girl and then she cheats on him and breaks his heart. Does that mean all women are lying cheating and will break your heart? Absolutely not so when somebody find the right girl your way of thinking is foreign to them.

In order to have an intelligent conversation you have to be able to see both sides of the spectrum. I am able to agree that many doctors in the industry are bad. But a small majority are good moral and do a great job. Take a look at the results on this forum and see the great results. If you are unable to understand what I am saying or too one sided to see the different this post is going no where. There no doubt that you got screwed and I believe you. Many other like myself can say our hair transplant was one of the best decison they have ever made.

Can you post some pictures???

I NEVER said i dont see both sides of the spectrum, if you would read any of the posts leading up to this, I actually gave compliments to Drs Limmer, Harris, Cooley, Rassman, and Bernstein for what I have seen is an ethical practice and and their understanding and agreement with my situation. You are the one who keeps repeating yourself and not making any sense. I am summarizing again the intent of this post thread because it is people like you that continue to confuse my point and blow smoke in my VERY valid and REAL situation. I had 1 procedure. In that one procedure, I lost everything and had many many side effects because i was not evaluated and my risk factors were not taken into account. I was the worst candidate for a transplant before my procedure. NW2, fine but dense hair, straight hair, light soft texture in frontal, darker coarse in back, extensive miniaturization in front, very fair skin. If you look at the best candidates for transplants, they are the exact OPPOSITE of that. There are many other things that you do not know about my experience that I cannot share, so if you want to talk about your topic then start your own post, very easy to do.

I dont disagree with your situation, in fact I have empathy for you. If I was in your shoes I would probaly feel the same way. I am lucky that I am in a different situation and have experiences the possible sides of a hair transplant. Your situation is common when you pick the wrong doctor and uncommon when you pck the right one. Pick the right doctor you will have a great results with honest assessents. Pick the wrong one and I guess you are screwed.

I guess I have no reason to comment anymore one your one sided posts. People are intelligent enough to come to there own conclusion.

Good luck and I hope that you will have closure with your situation.

Representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

I dont disagree with your situation, in fact I have empathy for you. If I was in your shoes I would probaly feel the same way. I am lucky that I am in a different situation and have experiences the possible sides of a hair transplant. Your situation is common when you pick the wrong doctor and uncommon when you pck the right one. Pick the right doctor you will have a great results with honest assessents. Pick the wrong one and I guess you are screwed.

I guess I have no reason to comment anymore one your one sided posts. People are intelligent enough to come to there own conclusion.

Good luck and I hope that you will have closure with your situation.

Which is what my whole point was. I chose a doctor that was was "recommended" by all the organizations that people look to ...to make their decision. Even though doctors are recommended by various organizations.... doesn't mean that they are ALL practicing in an ethical manner and have the patients best interest in mind. It simply means they put on a good "show" during test time.

(Note added by administrator - the physician you listed on your public profile is not recommended by this community. Thus, the above statement isn't true. All recommendations by this community are taken very seriously and physicians who don't continue to meet our high standards are promptly removed. Please see a note from the managing publisher for a further explanation)

Everyone needs to use common sense...hair transplant candidate selection is not rocket science....THERE ARE RISKS and any doctor that tells you that you are at low risk when you know you are not, just wants your money

Edited by usedandabused

Pitting, cobblestoning, misangled hairs, permanent shockloss of native hair ? Sounds like you picked a quack to me. Does he share the same name as a famous fashion designer ? If so then YES, it is 100% confirmed that you were hacked by a fiendish quack that has destroyed (and will continue to destroy) many lives.

Then you go on to mention Bernstien, Rassman, Cooley, Limmer & Harris as if they represent the cream of the crop of today's HT docs. IMO those 5 are not even on the map (not even close!), so it seems your research has not been very thorough in this regard.

I feel for you man, and I sincerely hope you can resolve your situation. I had miniaturized hairs in my front forelock that were pretty close to dying, yet ALL of them grew back and there was very little margin for error at 70 fu per cm plant density !!!

Dude, you got hacked by a bad doc who just didn't care. It's really that simple. It happens everyday and will continue to happen at no fault of the patient or his "physiology traits".

Oh yeah, and concerning the "coalition" and other organizations for credentials, IMO all that stuff is a bunch of fluff. There are only 5 docs today I would even consider letting touch my head: 2 of them work at H & W, the other 2 are in the coalition, and the last 1 is not even recommended here.

That should tell you something.

Sorry to hear about your problems usedandabused. You do raise some good points, although in my honest opinion most of them are just part and parcel of researching HTs. That does not make your points any less valid, but what I'm trying to say is that people should do lots of research and make their choices with an experienced and recommended doctor (doing a couple of months research will quickly show there are probably really only a dozen or so doctors that keep getting mentioned over and over as excellent in their field).

I don't think anybody should go into an HT without a 'master plan' - and creating that plan is common practice amongst good doctors. The long and short of a master plan is to take all scenarios into consideration and make sure that every procedure can look natural by itself and that a long term plan is established for future balding.

I'd urge everybody to research HTs incredibly thoroughly before making any firm plans. I think a lot of what usedandabused says is right but, and I don't mean this disparagingly, a lot of it is also common sense if you do the research. Baldness is a progressive issue and no drug or therapy can truly reverse or completely halt it - not even propecia and minoxidil. One of the first things anybody considering an HT should understand is that this is a lifetime commitment with not entirely certain outcomes. You must be prepared to need future transplants (or be comfortable with the limitations of one transplant) and you must understand that a transplant is a cosmetic procedure - an artificial reinstatement of your previous hair. A good doctor will understand this and use as much art as science to achieve a natural look that nobody will question under even close general scrutiny.

Shock loss is always possible. Progressive balding is always possible (and should be assumed likely). MPB is something that you'll have to be prepared to actively battle all your life and if that's not something you wish to do, it is best to shave your head and simply not start the fight. I would always say to people that if they get one procedure done they must be prepared to get further procedures done in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years - whatever. The lucky ones don't need to go down this path, but most people do and even the "lucky" ones are never secure that their hair will stay the way it is now.

usedandabused makes some relevant and logical points, but it's clear the whole ordeal has hurt him and his vitriol towards HTs is clear. My advice would be more restrained; HTs, performed by recommended and experienced doctors, can produce stunning results from NW2 right up to NW6. But hairloss is not an easy thing to predict and is very fluid - never assume you've got it beat. Prepare for the long haul, look at worst case scenarios, and always make sure every procedure or therapy fits into the "worst case scenario" jigsaw that is hairloss. You never know if that NW3 is going to suddenly thin to an NW5, or if shock loss is going to reduce the cosmetic effect of a procedure. MPB is a difficult enemy - never assume it's beaten!

HTs are, overall, safe and effective in the right hands though. usedandabused has had a bad result under what sounds like a bad doctor and it's good of him to raise his concerns and hopefully save the hair of a few others on here. Just do the research, put in the time and effort, and discuss in great detail your goals and the plans with your doctor. A HT is like a war - it needs incredible planning and detailed foresight. Cover every angle, look at every possibility, allow for every side effect. If your doctor ever talks in absolutes be wary! There is always a risk, always a trade off, always a theoretical complication. Knowing these and accepting them means you're in control. Both you and your doctor should always proceed with cautious optimism and pragmatism. You know there will be a scar, you should be clear the sort of density and look you can expect, you should allow for complications and accept risks. If you can't then usedandabused is right - don't start going down the path. The worse case is it can be costly, worrisome and never produce the results you want. But with the right planning and commitment 98% of men and women would probably count it amongst the most beneficial things they've ever done for themselves.

Pitting, cobblestoning, misangled hairs, permanent shockloss of native hair ? Sounds like you picked a quack to me. Does he share the same name as a famous fashion designer ? If so then YES, it is 100% confirmed that you were hacked by a fiendish quack that has destroyed (and will continue to destroy) many lives.

Then you go on to mention Bernstien, Rassman, Cooley, Limmer & Harris as if they represent the cream of the crop of today's HT docs. IMO those 5 are not even on the map (not even close!), so it seems your research has not been very thorough in this regard.

I feel for you man, and I sincerely hope you can resolve your situation. I had miniaturized hairs in my front forelock that were pretty close to dying, yet ALL of them grew back and there was very little margin for error at 70 fu per cm plant density !!!

Dude, you got hacked by a bad doc who just didn't care. It's really that simple. It happens everyday and will continue to happen at no fault of the patient or his "physiology traits".

Oh yeah, and concerning the "coalition" and other organizations for credentials, IMO all that stuff is a bunch of fluff. There are only 5 docs today I would even consider letting touch my head: 2 of them work at H & W, the other 2 are in the coalition, and the last 1 is not even recommended here.

That should tell you something.

who are the other three?

Sorry to hear about your problems usedandabused. You do raise some good points, although in my honest opinion most of them are just part and parcel of researching HTs. That does not make your points any less valid, but what I'm trying to say is that people should do lots of research and make their choices with an experienced and recommended doctor (doing a couple of months research will quickly show there are probably really only a dozen or so doctors that keep getting mentioned over and over as excellent in their field).

I don't think anybody should go into an HT without a 'master plan' - and creating that plan is common practice amongst good doctors. The long and short of a master plan is to take all scenarios into consideration and make sure that every procedure can look natural by itself and that a long term plan is established for future balding.

I'd urge everybody to research HTs incredibly thoroughly before making any firm plans. I think a lot of what usedandabused says is right but, and I don't mean this disparagingly, a lot of it is also common sense if you do the research. Baldness is a progressive issue and no drug or therapy can truly reverse or completely halt it - not even propecia and minoxidil. One of the first things anybody considering an HT should understand is that this is a lifetime commitment with not entirely certain outcomes. You must be prepared to need future transplants (or be comfortable with the limitations of one transplant) and you must understand that a transplant is a cosmetic procedure - an artificial reinstatement of your previous hair. A good doctor will understand this and use as much art as science to achieve a natural look that nobody will question under even close general scrutiny.

Shock loss is always possible. Progressive balding is always possible (and should be assumed likely). MPB is something that you'll have to be prepared to actively battle all your life and if that's not something you wish to do, it is best to shave your head and simply not start the fight. I would always say to people that if they get one procedure done they must be prepared to get further procedures done in 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years - whatever. The lucky ones don't need to go down this path, but most people do and even the "lucky" ones are never secure that their hair will stay the way it is now.

usedandabused makes some relevant and logical points, but it's clear the whole ordeal has hurt him and his vitriol towards HTs is clear. My advice would be more restrained; HTs, performed by recommended and experienced doctors, can produce stunning results from NW2 right up to NW6. But hairloss is not an easy thing to predict and is very fluid - never assume you've got it beat. Prepare for the long haul, look at worst case scenarios, and always make sure every procedure or therapy fits into the "worst case scenario" jigsaw that is hairloss. You never know if that NW3 is going to suddenly thin to an NW5, or if shock loss is going to reduce the cosmetic effect of a procedure. MPB is a difficult enemy - never assume it's beaten!

HTs are, overall, safe and effective in the right hands though. usedandabused has had a bad result under what sounds like a bad doctor and it's good of him to raise his concerns and hopefully save the hair of a few others on here. Just do the research, put in the time and effort, and discuss in great detail your goals and the plans with your doctor. A HT is like a war - it needs incredible planning and detailed foresight. Cover every angle, look at every possibility, allow for every side effect. If your doctor ever talks in absolutes be wary! There is always a risk, always a trade off, always a theoretical complication. Knowing these and accepting them means you're in control. Both you and your doctor should always proceed with cautious optimism and pragmatism. You know there will be a scar, you should be clear the sort of density and look you can expect, you should allow for complications and accept risks. If you can't then usedandabused is right - don't start going down the path. The worse case is it can be costly, worrisome and never produce the results you want. But with the right planning and commitment 98% of men and women would probably count it amongst the most beneficial things they've ever done for themselves.

One of the best posts I've seen here in a long time ! Newbies should reread this until they have it permanently memorized. ;)

Even though doctors are recommended by this site or or IAHRS doesn't mean that they are ALL practicing in an ethical manner and have the patients best interest in mind. It simply means they put on a good "show" during test time.

usedandabused,

I have been following this thread since the beginning and I also empathize with you and understand your motivation for not wanting others to follow in your footsteps and end up with unsatisfactory or even disfiguring results.

However, it seems that you have drawn some conclusions and made some generalizations based on your own experience that are not really representative of the average patient's results when treated by a skilled physician using today's state of the art hair transplant techniques.

One thing I do have to take issue with is your comment above. In fact, I can confidently state that ALL the hair restoration physicians recommended here are ethical and have the patient's best interest in mind. If you take the time to learn about our criteria for recommending physicians, you will see that it is a long and difficult process and does not involve a single "dog and pony" show where they put on their best face and fake their way through. The members of this community take an active role in reviewing results, posing questions to the docs and providing their input regarding recommendation. I can't speak for the methods of other sites but here we take our recommendations very seriously. We are only as good as the docs we recommend and if we routinely added incompetent surgeons to our recommended list then we would quickly vanish into the ether as our members went elsewhere for advice and recommendations.

This is also evidenced by the fact that physicians are quickly removed from our list should they fail to live up to our standards at any time.

I have been employed here for less than one year. But, in that time, I have been impressed with what goes on behind the scenes. Bill and Pat are, first and foremost, patient advocates. As hair transplant patients themselves, they have both made it a personal mission to ensure that anyone seeking surgical hair restoration has all of the information necessary at their fingertips to make an informed decision.

I for one think this discussion has gone as far as it can go.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

UsedandAbused,

I've read through this entire topic and have to say that I agree with the vast majority of your posts. Hair transplants are definitely not for everyone. I also believe that prospective patients should be made aware of all the risks before undergoing surgery. Physicians should definitely assist with the education process however, I also feel that patients need to be accountable for their own research and choices. Knowing and understanding all the benefits, limitations and potential risks of hair transplant surgery ahead of time can help patients make an informed decision as to whether or not surgery is right for them.

Unfortunately, the hair restoration field is still riddled with physicians who use outdated techniques and are more interested in filling their pockets with money than filling your balding areas with hair. However, there are equally as many physicians, like those recommended by this community that I'd consider the "good guys". These physicians care about their patients, use state of the art techniques and do the best they can to help their patients meet their hair restoration goals.

Moreover, hair transplant surgery is not without risks and even the best physicians have cases of poor results. But a quality physician will stand behind his/her patient in the event these risks occur and help them achieve their goals.

I can't speak specifically or intelligently about the physician who did your procedure because you didn't mention him. However, by claiming that you've had a bad experience by a surgeon recommended by this community without sharing the details of your surgery, pictures and the name of the physician is unfair to this community.

As Dave said above, we take all recommendations seriously and if you've been treated unjustly and unfairly by a physician recommended on this site, I'd like to know about it. If after reviewing your case and discussing it with your physician I happen to agree with you, we will consult with other leading experts and potentially remove this physician's recommendation status.

If you'd rather not discuss the details publicly, this is your right. However, I ask that you send me a private message with the details of your case, before and after photos and the name of the physician. In turn, I will discuss your case with your physician to get his/her side of the story. Then we can move on from there.

I also strongly encourage you to discuss your concerns with your physician to see if you two can come to a fair and reasonable solution that will help you get the head of hair you deserve. If not, I encourage you to consult with other leading hair restoration physicians you trust, like the ones you mentioned and see what they propose to do to help you.

Best wishes,

Bill

I don't understand and find it a bit aggravating that you take the time you argue so vehemently, but dont post any pics of your experience. This would be the best way of helping others who have the same situation or hair characteristics as your self and maybe helping others might slightly improve the bad feelings you have experienced. Its obviously a valid point you have and worthy evidence for people to examine.

UsedandAbused,

I've read through this entire topic and have to say that I agree with the vast majority of your posts. Hair transplants are definitely not for everyone. I also believe that prospective patients should be made aware of all the risks before undergoing surgery. Physicians should definitely assist with the education process however, I also feel that patients need to be accountable for their own research and choices. Knowing and understanding all the benefits, limitations and potential risks of hair transplant surgery ahead of time can help patients make an informed decision as to whether or not surgery is right for them.

Unfortunately, the hair restoration field is still riddled with physicians who use outdated techniques and are more interested in filling their pockets with money than filling your balding areas with hair. However, there are equally as many physicians, like those recommended by this community that I'd consider the "good guys". These physicians care about their patients, use state of the art techniques and do the best they can to help their patients meet their hair restoration goals.

Moreover, hair transplant surgery is not without risks and even the best physicians have cases of poor results. But a quality physician will stand behind his/her patient in the event these risks occur and help them achieve their goals.

I can't speak specifically or intelligently about the physician who did your procedure because you didn't mention him. However, by claiming that you've had a bad experience by a surgeon recommended by this community without sharing the details of your surgery, pictures and the name of the physician is unfair to this community.

As Dave said above, we take all recommendations seriously and if you've been treated unjustly and unfairly by a physician recommended on this site, I'd like to know about it. If after reviewing your case and discussing it with your physician I happen to agree with you, we will consult with other leading experts and potentially remove this physician's recommendation status.

If you'd rather not discuss the details publicly, this is your right. However, I ask that you send me a private message with the details of your case, before and after photos and the name of the physician. In turn, I will discuss your case with your physician to get his/her side of the story. Then we can move on from there.

I also strongly encourage you to discuss your concerns with your physician to see if you two can come to a fair and reasonable solution that will help you get the head of hair you deserve. If not, I encourage you to consult with other leading hair restoration physicians you trust, like the ones you mentioned and see what they propose to do to help you.

Best wishes,

Bill

I mis-spoke and did not mean for it to sound like that, and in turn, I corrected my post. I feel like THIS particular site has VERY stringent criteria and do a great job it addressing issues promptly for obvious reasons

Look guys, I am not trying to argue with anyone or say this is more common than not.....I only had 1 procedure and 1 experience and it was a very very bad one. I am not trying to say that my horrible experience happens all the time.....my whole point to this is that is CAN happen and it DOES happen. As for the generalizations, it was necessary to word it like I did to avoid any direct accusations. As stated by someone else....these procedures have limitations, and a good doctor should tell you straight up that there is no way that your current natural situation can be improved when it is appropriate.

I mentioned these doctors because they have supported me, given me more knowledge, and some offered to help me in any way possible without any strings attached or any financial benefit to them. These are all very well known doctors and them offering to take the time to do that and say that speaks VERY highly of their morals, caring of people in general, and ethics...because in the end...even the highest skilled doctor can ruin you....it takes an ethical doctor to tell you the truth about what is best for you.

I mentioned these doctors because they have supported me, given me more knowledge, and some offered to help me in any way possible without any strings attached or any financial benefit to them. These are all very well known doctors and them offering to take the time to do that and say that speaks VERY highly of their morals, caring of people in general, and ethics...because in the end...even the highest skilled doctor can ruin you....it takes an ethical doctor to tell you the truth about what is best for you.

I hear ya brother!

One last question: when you had your surgery was your doc recommended here at that time ? :confused:

Epileptic Skeptic,

Then you go on to mention Bernstien, Rassman, Cooley, Limmer & Harris as if they represent the cream of the crop of today's HT docs. IMO those 5 are not even on the map (not even close!), so it seems your research has not been very thorough in this regard

While you may have your preference as to whose results you like the best, the above physicians have proven to do excellent, state of the art work and deserve respect. I share usedandabused's opinion of these physicians. While most of the above physicians don't have as prominent of a prescence online, each of these surgeons are recommended on the Hair Transplant Network and most of them have shared dozens of examples of their top notch results on this forum. Our publisher Pat Hennessey has visited and observed most of these physicians in live surgery. To learn more about each of their technique and surgery, visit the "Visit to Leading Hair Transplant Clinics" section of our forum.

Best wishes,

Bill