Am I receding? What do you think

Hey all. Im 20 years old over the past few days I have been pretty concerned that I may have a receding hairline and that the areas above my temples may be going. I have always had a widows peak all my life but I dont believe this steep. My mothers father suffered from MPB. Anyways I was just wondering what any of you guys might think. Yes, I know that my hair seems full and thick however its the hairline that im worried about, above my temples, as you will see. I have heard of a maturing hairline and was wondering if maybe I am mistaking that for what I have. Please, respectful replies only. Thanks all. By the way, if you need to see any other types of photos just let me know, I know these are not of the highest quality. Mostly concerned with hair loss above my right temple. Thank you

110125-190318.jpg.e2ace5887f97f4239d77e412d944a9be.jpg

110125-190338.jpg.bcef3b40a27c076d7aaa418c58358d13.jpg

110125-190407.jpg.41d0c48563c4c432077592bbd55d7249.jpg

110125-190413.jpg.91491b34a36b1dd8236a2351cd2de363.jpg

110125-190636.jpg.e8ee8488b4d52673fdb81e7e9903f522.jpg

110125-190731.jpg.32255253ea27183a4140cb417c342001.jpg

110125-190253.jpg.8f48303e168d7e7a6063185ec39a39f7.jpg

It's probably initial thinning. I see some thinning and recession near the temple angles. but the mid front looks strong. The way you have your hair in that last pic, I can not tell you are thinning or receding at all. I don't think hair surgical restoration would be a good decision at this point. Consider taking finisteride or rogaine for a couple of months to see how it goes. It may help the area around the temples. I can barely tell from the pictures, but it seems you may have some native hairs in that area still. You should definitely consider finisteride to try to preserve those hairs. good luck!

I started noticing hair thinning in the temples around age 22 but I was probably 38 before it really became obvious. I would definately not panic at this point, there will be time for that years later :) You might try some of the meds but Im not sure you are even at that point yet.

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

some minor thinning...wouldnt go into panic mode. just monitor the situation. if it makes you feel better, talk to a derm or ht doc. see what they would suggest. might be a little premature for meds. good thing you caught it early. just keep an eye on it over the next few years.

OC,

Because of your age and the minimal level of recession, it's difficult to tell (at this point) whether or not you're suffering from the initial phases of hair loss or if your hairline is simply going through a phase of natural maturation. At this point, I think the best thing you can do is consult with a dermatologist or hair restoration physician, undergo a thorough evaluation of the scalp, and proceed (with potential treatments) from there. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks, so do you guys suggest any kind of meds? If so how do I go about getting them, what type of doctor should I go to to see whether or not this is MPB? Let me know if you need any other types of pictures to make a better judgment. Thanks!

OC,

As far as medications are concerned, minoxidil/Rogaine and finasteride/Propecia are the current gold standards, and utilizing these proven, preventive medications now (at an early stage) should really help you halt the progressive hair loss (if it exists) and maintain your current level of native hair.

However, I really do recommend consulting with a dermatologist or hair restoration physician before starting any sort of medical treatment. For all you know, it could be simple hair line maturation or something caused by an outside source, and you wouldn't want to dive too deeply into restoration if this was the case. I definitely suggest a consultation as step 1. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Your crown looks good but I do believe you have receeded. How much more....who knows?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Thanks everyone. Tomorrow I am going to schedule an appointment with a dermatologist to see if I can get things sorted away. I will keep updating on this thread so I can get some of you outside opinions on whatever happens. Thanks for the advice

Can anyone tell me about their experiences with propecia? I know there are some people who claim online that they experienced permanent sexual side effects which did not go away after stopping the medication. Anyone know if their is any truth to claims like these? Thanks for all your advice

oc20md,

Propecia and its side effects are definitely a hot topic. I suggest using this forum's search feature for more information.

According to Merck, <2% of males will experience sexual side effects and these side effects will subside upon discontinuation of the drug.

Speaking for myself, I initially suffered some testicular pain which went away in time. Additionally, I experienced fewer morning erections and "unsolicited" erections but no loss of libido and everything continues to work "on demand". I've also experienced watery semen. This is after two years taking finasteride.

During that time, I have experimented with the dose trying to maintain the benefits I've received while reducing side effects as much as possible. I have found that taking a 1.25mg dose every other day has maintained my hair while improving the quality of semen.

Best of luck,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Yes, I think I understand the types of side effects. I dont think I would mind the possibility of them if they stop with stopping the medication. My primary concern is with those who claim that they stopped taking the meds and still experienced side effects months and even years later