Plug removal by dr beehner

Bachstrad

Bachstrad,

Thank you for sharing your results with the community. I agree with Dr Charles - it looks like there was quite a bit of invasive work performed, but it looks quite refined and miles away from the pre-operative appearance. Are you planning on having any more work done?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Spex, I'm fine . Hope you and your new family had a good xmas.

I put the photos up as I found it so hard to find any myself of large plug removal.

I took a chance going to Dr Beehner but I think I made the right choice.

As for any more work, possibly get the stray hairs left behind taken out but other than that I don't contemplate anything although if anyone can recommend a good place for dermabrasion in the UK I would be interested.

Yes I had a procedure with Dr Feller and I was very impressed at having a hairline for the first time in 30 years but just having a hairline is one dimentional and reality is not so I still needed to get rid of the plugs which could still be seen from the side and the back. Unfortunately I didn't have the donor to camouflage enough of the head as I was butchered about 30 years ago.

Bachstrad:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with members of this forum. As you pointed out, there are few examples of this excision only work in evidence.

I did notice that several excision sites were not sutured. I may be mistaken, but Dr. Beehner may not have been able to suture all the sites closed due to the numerous sites, and in respect for scalp tension. If this is so, and, during your healing process, have you been able to discern a cosmetic difference between the sutured and open sites? From your pictures, you are vastly improved in all areas.

How long did it take for the redness to subside to a cosmetically acceptable level? Did you need a hat or concealers to be comfortable in public for awhile?

In my opinion, trying to camouflage a large balding area of man who is now a NW6-7, who had old school plugs long ago is futile. Your end result, of a bald man with acceptable, common sun spot skin discoloration on his scalp, is much more of a normal look than the alternative of using too little hair on too large of a plug scarred scalp. So, IMHO, even if you had enough donor for 2-3000 grafts, the result you achieved is far superior. I believe that doctors in the hair transplant business should consider this excision only option more than they have indicated in forum posts or on their websites. I recognize that this type of procecure may not be as much of a revenue generator as a hair transplant, but, obviously, it has a benefit for certain patients.

Heal well my friend, and thanks again for sharing.

Waterloo

Dr. Beehner does outstanding work. He is very innovative at what he does. It looks great!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Waterloo, to my knowledge all plugs were sutured . I think the photo was taken during the procedure.

I would say 3 months were needed before I had the confidence to go out hatless.

It seems to be healing from front to back for some reason and at 6 months the front half has almost fully healed imo so the next 6 months should heal the rest.

Come summer I will get some sun on my head and should be good to go.

Just to provide proof that we indeed did suture together ALL of the punch-out sites, the following photo is provided. One thing to bear in mind is that, regardless of what size punch you use in cutting these old grafts out, with a single pass procedure there will always be some hairs that don't get removed and still grow - so it always requires a second smaller pass with usually a smaller punch to get complete eradication of the hairs. This patient has very fair Irish/English scalp skin and the redness you see will most certainly be better at the one year point, but I think it cosmetically will look best with some dermabrasion or laser resurfacing to give it an "even" homogenous look, which is what he is after.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

File0001.jpg.b97a728cf8082594cff85a0ad19eff73.jpg

• 5 months later...

A couple of photos after dermabrasion and a few extracted plugs, both procedures from Dr Beehner. Only marks left are freckles. This was a second procedure because apparently with plug removal there are always a few that still grow so a second pass is required and while I was there Dr Beehner also did some dermabrasion. Unlikely to be of any interest to anyone under 45 but now I know that "old school " plugs can be reversed, and without breaking the bank.

DSCF5158a.jpg.0edd52081e92929a38a2c821c9889de3.jpg

DSCF5161a.jpg.06b7fab1665884656f4618a94e2b7b98.jpg

Edited by Bachstrad

Why is the private messaging facility disabled? Who authorised this? What was the reasoning behind this decision? This forum claims to be by patients and for patients. If this is to be the case it must be seen that there is a means whereby prospective patients as well as past and current ones can communicate freely without fear or prejudice. It is essential that the private messaging facility be reinstated.

Bach,

Dr. B did a great job removing the old plugs. I don't offer large plug removal in my practice but would love to have seen the results of the hairline work we did on you a year or two ago while you were in America.

Did Dr. B reimplant any of the plug hairs, or were they too weak? If memory serves you had a lot of "donuting" in your plugs which means the outer round edges of the plugs grew but the inner centers did not-making each plug look like a donut pattern of hair.

Remember, you may still be able to do some FUE to fill behind the hairline.

If you allow the front to grow out I'd love to see a few photos if you get the chance.

All the best and great work Dr. B. Well done.

Dr. F

Bach,

Thank you for coming back and updating the community on your progress! The work looks great; honestly undetectable. Are you considering any forms of restoration from this point forward? Good luck, and thank you for keeping us updated.

Why is the private messaging facility disabled? Who authorised this? What was the reasoning behind this decision? This forum claims to be by patients and for patients. If this is to be the case it must be seen that there is a means whereby prospective patients as well as past and current ones can communicate freely without fear or prejudice. It is essential that the private messaging facility be reinstated.

Jonny,

Please, let's stay reasonable and not jump to any conclusions here. All new members are approved by a moderator before the private messaging feature is enabled and activated. This is standard procedure for all online forums and is designed to prevent "spam bots" (which you'll see are quite persistent on the forums themselves) from creating accounts and spamming the entire community with irritating private messages.

This is in no way a reflection of the ethics or goals of our community and I promise you that your ability to send private messages will be activated (just like everyone else) as soon as your new membership is approved by a moderator. Thank you for understanding.

Please resume discussing the topic at hand.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dr Feller, your transplant work is exceptional but with the horse shoe shape at the front I am limited to shaving it down or a comb over and I gave up with the comb over. If I could get it filled in I would grow it but fue is not in my price range.

Dr Beehner did re transplant some of the plugs and no complaints but I would need about 1000 behind the hairline to blend both sides before I could grow it back.

Bach,

Call me or Spex and we'll help you with the price. If FUE is do-able I'd like to do it. Yours is a very unique and challenging case. If we can help get you to the point where you can grow your hair out again to allow your face to be framed we'd love to do it. And we can post the results for all to see.

Dr. F

• 1 year later...

As request a while back (I grew it in summer break to remind me what it looks like) Hair is 1 inch gelled back. Density is not bad but I would need several hundred behind the hairline as I have on the left hand side (centre photo)to give some depth to the hairline . Crown is not an issue.

5b32d46d0f38a_hair4002.jpg.17a3a597719768e6327cac13d2df9ab9.jpg

5b32d46d221a5_hair4004.jpg.d5a74c3c666e8c36e030759ecded9511.jpg

5b32d46d5610e_hair4006.jpg.a20feab98bd4777a455bfad72cac639d.jpg

Edited by Bachstrad

• 1 year later...

Nice to see updates pal, good luck.

Did you consider Dr. Feller's offer?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I did consider Dr Fellers generous offer but there were only 200 grafts to be found in the donor site in the UK and Dr Beehner made me an offer I couldn't refuse ; 600 + grafts he promised and he actually found 753 on Oct 16th (and he said he left behind 200) so imo the trip was worthwhile for a guy my age.