Balding Kid, Doing Research on HTs

Hey folks,

New member, first post, so on...

This site is an AMAZING resource, both for hair loss sufferers and for web marketing purposes (which is not a bad thing). Thanks to everyone participating in this institution. It has been beneficial to me personally, and I am personally thankful.

I put my hair loss story on my profile, so it's there if you want some background, but, in short, i'm a 25 y/o man going bald and I'm looking into HTs. I've done a lot of research on doctors in my area, southern California.

I would like opinions on whom to go to and when to pull the trigger. I want to know what to expect, what to fear and so on. I'll attach pictures of my situation, including a diagram of what I want done.

I'm thinking 2000 grafts for the first session, all in the frontal region and with a view to achieving good density.

Doctors I'm considering:

Mohebi, Lake Forest/Encino

Ross, La Jolla

Meshkin, Newport

Concerns:

Donor scar

Number of sessions over my lifetime

Realistic expectations

Recovery time

RESULTS

RISKS

Timing

In short, I face a critical decision. I am terribly conflicted. I want to take the road that will yield the greatest happiness.

Warm thanks to anyone willing to help me with this dilemma.

Concept.jpg.058dc9b6000ce966eaf7e4c7ce957208.jpg

Backwet.jpg.20bc7b38fcea905638f726ce292882f7.jpg

Hairline_Dry.jpg.401b56ded917a43112e888a551288e76.jpg

Hairline_Wet.jpg.5ff664b089e4b582aecbe823d945cafb.jpg

Left_Dry.jpg.fdc40699107f923b500920a4ea4a80b8.jpg

Left_Wet.jpg.e71cfb5f73d32a8ab37079dbf1c79952.jpg

Right_Dry.jpg.1c42a8c6492bfa3a65e9c7e08446f617.jpg

Right_Wet.jpg.53b79aa346391f812668639673168197.jpg

Top_Dry.jpg.2cf147441132b12d6878cd840fd0ddd0.jpg

Top_Wet.jpg.ed02f4506a3fdf5f595ed0f8961496fa.jpg

“You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not...”

- John Lennon

Welcome. You've come to the right place. It's good that you are starting your research before you undergo surgery.

The one important thing you might have already read or will undoubtedly read over and over again is this: Don't let distance deter you from one clinic or doc. You have narrowed your choices to three docs from your region. Nothing against those docs at all, but the fact that you have narrowed your search down to surgeons only in your area tells me that you should look more outside your state (even country) before you make a decision. I wish I did that before I had my first transplant that didn't turn out well. None of the docs on this site are hacks, but they are not all equal in talent/skills/results/etc.

Another thing is is that you are 25, which is pretty young to be having a HT. But not too young to start doing research and taking Finasteride, maybe experimenting with concealers.

Also consider that when you have one transplant you will most likely want/need a second one. Very few guys are done in one job, especially young ones.

Hope this helps.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I've just looked more at your profile/story. You got a decent head of hair right now. Stick with Fin if you can. If you get surgeries done and then ditch the meds you are really gambling!

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

Aaron,

Thank you for your comments. I have thought about traveling, but so many of the good ones are out East- like, WAY East. :mad: I would love some recommendations.

As for the meds, God I can't stand the finasteride. You are right that reducing the dose is a gamble, but really that's the biggest reason for getting a transplant. I want to cover the ground I'm gonna lose from taking the dose back a little. This is such a tough one. I want to have kids and I want to stop the friggin feminine redistribution of subcutaneous fat (had one gyno operation already), and I won't even get into the rest of the problems. dAgggh! I'll rip my hair out before mpb gets to it, I think.

Anyway, I'm saving up $$$ for the procedure but I'm not sure I want to make the commitment to the scars and multiple sessions and investment. I mean, I would if I knew it would turn out for me. I see it as the only way off the drugs without having to be bald. Still, too many men out there would kill to a) have my hair, bad as it is, or b) just be bald with no scars. I'm talking about men like me who did their research, too.

My conclusion so far is that it depends on the Dr. and luck. Everything depends on the Dr. and your luck. Short of bankrupting myself on a procedure with Rassman, I don't see a way to find that guaranty (or even a reasonable hope).

Thanks again for your advice. I have taken it very much to heart.

- John Lennon

Sorry to hear about your complications with Fin. But lessening the dosage would be far better than completely stopping altogether. Maybe try .50 or .75 Fin instead of the full 1 MG.

Yeah, was thinking like .66 or .75, then experimenting with other topicals to maybe pick up the slack. Merck lies and the FDA is not the end-all, be-all authority on safe treatments. But I take responsibility for putting it in my body. I should have understood the corollaries of the fact that what makes you a man is what makes you bald.

I can't figure out how to read or send PMs, man. What am I missing?

- John Lennon

he friggin feminine redistribution of subcutaneous fat (had one gyno operation already),

Can you elaborate on this?

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

Can you elaborate on this?

increased adipose tissue in the thighs, buttocks, lower back, groin, and lower chest; softer facial appearance; decreased muscle mass; increased water retention

Things I've noticed on myself, though I doubt anyone other than my gf would have a good enough look to ever see. I used to be way into fitness and these things are more visible on me bc I have low bodyfat.

I had a gyno excision (removal of the gland) 2 years ago because of the mammary tissue that grew and eventually I'll need lipo on the stubborn breast fat that blights my lower pectorals.

The vast reduction in DHT from finasteride potentiated estrogen throughout my body. Really, that's the point. The side effects of a weaker androgen:estrogen ratio throughout the body amount to the proliferation of estrogen receptor positive tissues; e.g., breast tissue, fat on thighs and buttocks, and scalp hair.

Propecia is marketed as a drug that acts directly on hair follicles. In reality, it's a drug that chemically castrates you and whose many side effects include increased scalp hair.

jmo

- John Lennon

Taken,

Thank you for sharing your story and some photographs with the community. Additionally, I'm sorry to hear about the issues with finasteride. As you probably know, it can be a really good preventive medication, especially for someone your age and with your beginning stages of hair loss.

Have you considered or ever utilized minoxidil/Rogaine? If not, it may be worth a try (although I'd understand why you wouldn't want to).

Additionally, our community does recommend an excellent set of hair restoration physicians in California, and in the entire United States as a whole. If you have any information on a specific physician (I can't speak highly enough of Dr Meshkin, Dr. Ross, and Dr. Mohebi as well), feel free to ask any additional questions. Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake,

Thanks for your comments. I think this forum is super.

Yeah, the fin gets to me. I bash it a lot, too, but it's hard not to come off as a disgruntled anomaly. But yeah, I'm sure you've seen that subject done to death, over and over.

Actually, I do use 5% minox twice a day. It's not so bad once you acclimate to it, but it sucks when you're traveling or stuck with very little personal space. Also, checking out at Target def provokes double-takes.

Finally, I cannot express my gratitude for the existence of this structured outlet for reviews and commentary on the HT process and those surgeons, renowned and ignominious, on whom we rely, whether or not they be reliable. As you can see, I have narrowed it down to three well-reputed doctors in my area.

In closing this post, I ask for your recommendations on Midwest doctors to research. Aaron's point about traveling opened my eyes and I wish to continue the hunt. I see that the HRN recommends doctors nationwide, but your personal preference, perhaps expressed in confidence, would be an even more powerful endorsement. Your hair looks frikin awesome and i'm checking your profile after this, haha.

Taken

- John Lennon

I love Konior's work. Had a consultation with him before my first transplant. He's very informative, honest, energetic. Biggest mistake I made was not going to him for that round - thankfully Dr. Paul Shapiro has put me back on the right track. Konior is a little more expensive than most I believe. He was $5 per graft last I heard (i.e. so for 2,000 grafts would be $10,000). But that is nothing like Rassman's rates, and I like Konior's results even more. He generally is more conservative with his graft numbers but you can't argue with his results. He's well respected in the field.

yikes, $5/graft is steep. I can't afford more than $8000 for this, and that's breaking the bank bc I have to pay cash (poor credit). I mean, I'm sure his work is worth every penny, but I just don't have that many pennies.

I knew that, though. This is the thing I hate about it all. In order for people like me to get HTs (and i'm not even poor), we have to gamble on lesser surgeons. Not only do I run the risk of getting f***ed up for life, but I'd have to consider myself lucky if the scar was acceptable and i got mediocre results. Ugggggghhhh.

I thought konior was it, dude. Now I'm checking out Alexander in AZ and maybe some folks on the East coast

- John Lennon

Well, I'd contact the clinic to make sure what their costs are. Either way, if you have to wait another year to save up an extra grand or two.. it's well worth it.

Like when I said don't let travel be a factor.. don't let cost be a factor either. Easier said then done I know....

Dont take this the wrong way but if you cant afford 5 bucks a graft, you just can't afford a transplant worth having. There are some good docs I have seen for $4.25.

I would really reconsider taking a gamble on docs that you can not see good proven results from and seen/spoke with clients. I am not saying there are not really good docs not associated with this forum....but I do not think that there are really good docs that charge much less then $5 a graft...at least not much less.

Sorry, but I see a mistake being made from a mile off.....I would reconsider.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Exactly.

I'm just saying it sucks to have diligently saved up so much money (on a paltry income) the whole 4 years I've been fighting hair loss just to find out I can't afford it. I can't even afford a small, first session of 2000 grafts with less than 10k?

That means that, should most my native hair be doomed, I'd be committing to a 50k financial burden over my lifetime, with permanent scarring and up to 3 or 4 years of my life spent in recovery, all with NO guaranty that it will turn out.

I'm just venting, but God that seems insane bordering on clinical retardation. And yet, this is what hair is worth to some people. Truth is there exists no real solution for 99% of men who suffer from MPB. I'm dismayed to be disabused of the idea that I could just "get it fixed" for a few thousand dollars in the way one gets a nose job or smthg.

Thank God for this board, though

- John Lennon

Taken4Granted,

I had a total of 5200 grafts with Dr. Konior and paid $21,900 or a very reasonable $4.21 per graft (all of which the doc himself placed). Konior almost always gives you more grafts than you pay for, so he's really not any more expensive than the other top docs (he put in 2800 grafts the first time and I paid for 2500 and he put in 2400 grafts the second time and I paid for 2000). I'm guessing he knows he can get more at the time he quotes you but is having you pay for the absolute minimum he'll get.

Anyway, I was in your boat as well. When I first started looking into HTs years ago, I swore I could only spend $4k tops. Then, after a while, I decided $6k tops if I saved extra long. I waited and saved and things changed financially for me and when I finally committed, I was at $11.9K for the first time, an astronomical amount in my book. Yet, I made a downpayment and had a 0% loan through Carecredit and paid the operation off in a year (foregoing expensive vacations and an expensive car). I'm now paying my second operation off in the same way. Basically for the price of a new car, I have a new lease on life, increased confidence, and the satisfaction of smiling every time I look in the mirror now. Maybe it's just me, but I'll take that trade off any day. I recommend going slow, gathering plenty of information and waiting until you are in a financially responsible position to pull the trigger. Then go with a very good doctor. You'll save money and so much stress and anguish in the long run.

Dude, i went to Bangkok and got Dr Pat to perform my HT at less than 3/graft. Bad physician? Well, he was presented the Golden follicle award 2010. Look, not all cheaper physicians give bad results. The location etc matters. If the cost is of immense importance to u, i suggest looking at Bangkok. Accomodation is cheap and i reckon the air tickets aint gonna cost u a bomb either

Just my 2cents as u seem to be very tight on cash

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Dude, i went to Bangkok and got Dr Pat to perform my HT at less than 3/graft. Bad physician? Well, he was presented the Golden follicle award 2010. Look, not all cheaper physicians give bad results. The location etc matters. If the cost is of immense importance to u, i suggest looking at Bangkok. Accomodation is cheap and i reckon the air tickets aint gonna cost u a bomb either

Just my 2cents as u seem to be very tight on cash

That is true....I have seen some very good results come from Dr. Path.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Taken4Granted,

I had a total of 5200 grafts with Dr. Konior and paid $21,900 or a very reasonable $4.21 per graft (all of which the doc himself placed). Konior almost always gives you more grafts than you pay for, so he's really not any more expensive than the other top docs (he put in 2800 grafts the first time and I paid for 2500 and he put in 2400 grafts the second time and I paid for 2000). I'm guessing he knows he can get more at the time he quotes you but is having you pay for the absolute minimum he'll get.

Anyway, I was in your boat as well. When I first started looking into HTs years ago, I swore I could only spend $4k tops. Then, after a while, I decided $6k tops if I saved extra long. I waited and saved and things changed financially for me and when I finally committed, I was at $11.9K for the first time, an astronomical amount in my book. Yet, I made a downpayment and had a 0% loan through Carecredit and paid the operation off in a year (foregoing expensive vacations and an expensive car). I'm now paying my second operation off in the same way. Basically for the price of a new car, I have a new lease on life, increased confidence, and the satisfaction of smiling every time I look in the mirror now. Maybe it's just me, but I'll take that trade off any day. I recommend going slow, gathering plenty of information and waiting until you are in a financially responsible position to pull the trigger. Then go with a very good doctor. You'll save money and so much stress and anguish in the long run.

Sounds like it's about doing your research, making the right decision, and not being a cheapass. In short, it's about being patient, start to finish. At the ripe old age of 25, this is a challenge, especially since none of my peers seem to have this prob.

As for Bangkok. That just sounds scary. Should I not be averse to getting work done in SE Asia?

You guys are awesome. I could easily have ruined my life without this board.

Taken

- John Lennon

Taken,

You are lucky to have found this site. You'll gather a lot of valuable information here and make a much more informed choice. No doubt, HTs are just crazy expensive and really nothing I ever thought I could ever afford. Yet, I found a responsible way to do it without going to a bad hair mill or a cheap doc telling me everything I wanted to hear but nothing I really needed to hear. Read this forum for awhile, review results, post questions, and start saving your rubles. You're lucky in that you really do have a nice head of hair right now (many on this site would kill to have your hair) so there's no reason to rush for you.

I could have gone cheaper and I maybe could have traveled out of country too but what if something didn't go right? It's not like I could hop on a plane and go back. I chose the best doctor that I could reasonably get to (although really, I could travel most anywhere in the US and Canada). This site essentially pre-screens HT docs for you and narrows down one's search to those you can trust. Then it's up to you to consult with several and make the choice that's most sensible and best for you. Good luck on your journey!