Please comment; Is my donor area a bad selection?

sammy84

I have undergone Strip/FUT 2 days ago. I have a feeling that my donor area is too high above the permanent zone and is susceptible to future hair loss. Please view the attached pics and comment. Your comments on the same will provide me with some much needed input.

2010-12-23_17-56-03_681.jpg.9eb0d59e56b63b3e4b43b7a202d2bcc5.jpg

2010-12-23_17-55-55_909.jpg.67065799f0d51eb67a28049b3d24cc23.jpg

2010-12-23_17-56-15_963.jpg.a0cca587f781c08dab3c73e7802669fa.jpg

Who was your doc? Although I can admit that it looks unusually "bow-shaped" (i.e. going far above your ears), I'm sure that this was intentional. I'd suggest that you contact the clinic and ask.

I can understand that these things can be quite distressing 2 days post op. Hang in there mate!

hi sammy

usually doctors do not go beyond the safe zone ; so please specify the strip length and width and the number of grafts ; if not please ask the clinic to provide .

also I had my HT last week with SMG paul shapiro for 2642 grafts with 70 hairs sq cm and strip is 1.6 ( width ) X 22.5 ( lengh ) = 36 Cm2

I presume you have had needed more grafts in one session so the doc would have .

That looks like a Hasson and Wong megasession ;) Congrats on having the surgery.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

tbh sammy the pictures you have given us id say you were not going to see any loss for a considerable time, to me it looks like the pattern has fully developed

how old are you friend?

Thanks much for the reply.

I am 26 and have been rapidly losing hair. In the picture, the shaved area is where I had sparse hair and the trimmed area is where I had relatively dense hair. The clinic did the trimming and shaving to make the hair loss pattern clear before the procedure.

Since I am only 26 and my hair loss is still in rapid progression, I have a fear that the donor area was selected from an area that would have experienced hair loss in the next couple of years. This fear has been causing me much grief. Your inputs will be most helpful.

Who was your doc? Although I can admit that it looks unusually "bow-shaped" (i.e. going far above your ears), I'm sure that this was intentional. I'd suggest that you contact the clinic and ask.

I can understand that these things can be quite distressing 2 days post op. Hang in there mate!

hi sammy

usually doctors do not go beyond the safe zone ; so please specify the strip length and width and the number of grafts ; if not please ask the clinic to provide .

also I had my HT last week with SMG paul shapiro for 2642 grafts with 70 hairs sq cm and strip is 1.6 ( width ) X 22.5 ( lengh ) = 36 Cm2

I presume you have had needed more grafts in one session so the doc would have .

It was a mega session and over 4000 grafts were transplanted. The doc said that he needed that many to cover the large area on my scalp that had sparse hair, and hence the long strip. However, the incision seems too high to me to be in the safe zone.

Edited by sammy84

only the tips look like they may be a little high. I think 95 percent of your scar looks safe

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my hair transplant surgery done by ISHRS Medical Hair Restoration Doctor Details Page

I consulted PAI Medical Group in Nashville ( wegrowhair.com ) for their thoughts on the surgery. They examined my scalp and then I was told that I might likely be quickly heading toward Norwood 7. They also said that portions of the scar/donor strip were too high for a Norwood 7 candidate. This would mean that once my balding area expands and dips below the upper edges of the scar/donor strip, the transplanted hair native to portions of the donor strip in the balding region would fall out. Also, portions of the scar in the balding region would become visible.

The whole point of a hair tranplant surgery is to transplant permanent hair in balding areas. I am not happy that this most fundamental point was missed.

Edited by sammy84

Hi Sammy,

I am a little confused. Do you live in the U.S. but had a tranplant in Hyderabad, India? There is nothing that you can do but wait for the outcome of your transplant. Have you started finasteride and minoxidil? These treatments may prevent further hairloss for you.

I hope it works out well for you.

Regards

Rod

Hi Sammy,

I am a little confused. Do you live in the U.S. but had a tranplant in Hyderabad, India? There is nothing that you can do but wait for the outcome of your transplant. Have you started finasteride and minoxidil? These treatments may prevent further hairloss for you.

I hope it works out well for you.

Regards

Rod

Thanks for the reply RodG. I live in the US but got my hair transplant in India. I suppose that was a grave mistake. I have not started finasteride and rogaine. I have a supply and been asked to start this week. I have my concerns about finasteride's side effects. I shall start rogaine this week.

• 10 months later...

Hi there.

Concerning about the question you are discussing: I am not a surgeon and for sure I would like to tell you “there is no need to worry about it” but I think you have reasons to be afraid.

Before continuing, let me tell you: almost everything in my opinion is nothing but theories, ok? It is possible that all you will read is not what really happens.

In order for me not having to copy/paste/custom texts that I have already wrote, please, check my posts on these threads below and, after that, please come back to this post of mine:

Post #127 – page 13 at http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/160724-6000-grafts-dr-hasson-very-sad-13.html#post2285977

Post #002 – page 01 at http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/162433-brazilianpatients-recent-hair-transplant-dr-tykocinski.html#post2285771

Back to the things I wrote at those posts (once again: almost everything is nothing but theories):

Your body is always looking at some of your FUs (and not at some others, God knows why) and seeing a cancer. So, your body inactivates some important structures in the follicle and refrain it from producing hair.

The fact that some hair transplants fail (even when performed by skilled surgeons who checks every single FU before implanting it) represents a sign that something happening in the patient’s body is significant for the success (or failure) of the procedure.

I think, IMHO, that at least temporary almost all implanted FUs (even the best grafted) loses their “keys” to prove the body that they are not a cancer. In a well succeeded transplant (including the body reactions) the follicles recover their ability to convince the body that they are not a cancer in 3 to 6 months. But for certain reasons some FUs only recover this skill many months towards and, sometimes,… never.

I think that the FUs taken from an area too close to the limits of the “safe zone” are more about to lose this “key” then the ones that are in the core of the safe zone.

I think that the FUs very close to the limit of “safe zone” if were not harvested probably would stay in activity in your head till the end of your life, but once they were grafted (even without any damage) it is possible that their protections against the body defenses got weak enough to guarantee their lives for only some decades or years or months towards. Or maybe they won’t even be active anymore.

The nearest at the core of the safe zone, the best.

Hope all your FUs survive and your baldness has already stopped, though, otherwise your hair will grow but in some years or decades it will fall (and let your scar visible) or, God help us, only the hair taken from the core of the safe zone will grow.

Thanks a lot and God bless all of you.

it looks to me like your balding pattern is pretty set and though the donor area may be a bit high, it's still in the safe zone. I think you'll be fine. Happy growing!

exactly right!!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website