Can hair start growing after 13 months?

I had 3000 grafts about 13 months ago and am certain none of it has grown yet.

This is my 3rd procedure and I am very concerned. My doctor says to give it 6 more months.

I am getting so stressed over this. Can hair just all come it after 13 months?

Is is at all possible for a very late growth spurt?

He seems very confident it will still grow but I am starting to lose hope and think I should just do another procedure with him stat and for free.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

It can but realistically the yield is likely not gong to be up to expectations, your concern is legitimate and I empathize how disconcerting that must feel.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

sasha2077,

It is said that hair transplants can continue to mature and thicken up to 18 months post-op. This was certainly my experience. However, as Speegs has already said, If you have experienced little to no growth at 13 months then you are not likely to see an acceptable result at this point.

I would wait the six months and see what he has to say. You have already had three disappointing procedures with three different physicians so it may be worth considering that something in your physiology is at play. However, I would consider contacting one or more of our recommended physicians before embarking on another procedure with the same doctor.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Yeah my doc is recommended by this site, but since he is being cool and will probably give me another transplant for free I don't want to disclose his name at this point. But certainly if he jerks me around I will tell him that I will fully disclose his information.

He thinks I am a "slow grower" and that 2 prior procedures have left a sufficient amount of scar tissue to cause delayed growth.

The only thing I could think of is I accidentally went to a tanning salon and forgot to cover me head, but I went to the doc the very next day and he said that since there was no burning that it should not have any affect.

So its not possible for hair to start growing at this point?

Sasha,

I agree with what our members have already said above. If you haven't seen any growth at 12 or 13 months, it's highly unlikely that you will see much if any growth moving forward.

Since you said this was your third procedure, were the first two procedures successful? Were all 3 procedures performed by the same physician? Do you have any photos you can share showing the results of your first two procedures and then current photos?

I'm glad to hear that your physician is standing behind you and doing what he can to make you satisfied. If you do choose to disclose the name of your physician, know that you are entitled to. However, by doing so, you must be willing to allow your physician to post his/her side of the story on this forum. This includes sharing your medical background and photos if applicable however, your identity would not be revealed.

If there's anything I can do to help you, don't hesitate to contact me privately at help@hairtransplantnetwork.com.

Best wishes,

Bill

Sasha, i agree with Bill. I am very curious as its the first time i have heard of 3 failed transplants on a single person. Hope u dun get this the wrong way, but maybe 'failure' to u might not seem as bad to others. Expectations? I am just trying to find out what went wrong. It would be nice if u can post some photos so that we can have a look. Good luck!

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

He thinks I am a "slow grower" and that 2 prior procedures have left a sufficient amount of scar tissue to cause delayed growth.

I don't buy that! There are patients with scarred up scalps full of the old plug style transplants and they grow well. People get grafts put into donor scars every day and it grows out. Something went wrong somewhere, whether it be the grafts got too dry or your physiology couldn't handle 3000 grafts at one time, or something else.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Thanks for the comments guys. Yeah the first two procedures were successful.

The only thing could be the tanning or perhaps since I smoked a little bit of medically prescribed marijuana after the procedure and when I experienced pain. Don't judge me... lol

But besides the one accidental tanning salon session and occasional therapeutic inhalation I took exceptional care of my hair.

So I am so confused as to why it's not growing. I dont have any pics but the back is still thin as is the front and those were the areas where almost 3000 grafts were transplanted.

I really want to get another procedure in December during my break but doc said I should wait until next summer.

So I am confused. Has hair ever started to grow initially at the 13 month mark?

It would not make sense to get another "free" procedure after it didnt work before.

It would seem likely that:

1. the doctor is not world class

2. As was said, your physiogamy is working against you somehow

3. the grafts were not cut properly

4. you are doing something post op that harms the recipient

At this point, I'd go see Jerry Cooley who is a dermatological

surgeon. He can probably tell you whats going on.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a little bit confusing reading your profile, sorry.

I think you are saying that the most recent doctor was in La Jolla California and you paid for either 2700 or 2800 grafts.

Your first op was 3700 grafts with Hairclub, which you say worked, but was a "terrible job".

Your second op was 3000 "hairs" (not grafts) with someone else.

That sounds like a lot of grafts total, so not sure that there is much point in keeping the surgeon happy so that he will have another go in future, can't be that much donor hair left?

I do agree with the posts here, a reputable doctor should be upfront with you about this, it must be hard waiting for something to happen and not knowing.

Some photos would really help us help you...