How many grafts do u think i need?

Hi,

Basically im 24 and would like to fill in my hairline at the corners, I have no history of hair loss in my family and no other areas of concern. It's just my hairline bothers me because my brothers both have their hair styled where the hair is kind of combed back and you can see they have a nice shaped hairline where as mine is.......

I have drew lines to indicate where i would like my hairline to start, do u think my expectations are reasonable?

Thanks

htf1.jpg.de8d4d09deabe89e6ed92d13a54f24cf.jpg

htf2.jpg.ae9765054c14142be930beb2b35ff1c8.jpg

htf4.jpg.6f3706fd912e8a9a33a56fc23c73f363.jpg

htf5.jpg.6a2a6aa5af0be5b363bedddd3acc49c3.jpg

Edited by mr1986

Mr1986,

I suggest estimating the number of grafts you may require by utilizing our hair loss learning center graft calculator!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Be careful though, a lot of times you'll find significant hairloss and miniaturization if you were to shave your hair. It's tough to estimate from the pics you posted, I'd say they portray your loss in the best case scenario.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My HT Blog

What's the deal with the second photo which seems to show no loss at all?

Anyway, the photos are pretty dark. I upped the brightness and saw that this caused the temples to retreat further. It's possible that the forelock in the middle of the front is also thinning. Do you believe it is?

You say you have no family history of hairloss, but you yourself are experiencing it so I would be cautious in looking at your family members as examples of your own hair destiny.

How long have your temples been receded?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

What's the deal with the second photo which seems to show no loss at all?

Anyway, the photos are pretty dark. I upped the brightness and saw that this caused the temples to retreat further. It's possible that the forelock in the middle of the front is also thinning. Do you believe it is?

You say you have no family history of hairloss, but you yourself are experiencing it so I would be cautious in looking at your family members as examples of your own hair destiny.

How long have your temples been receded?

I put the second pic just to show how i have it in everyday life, the forelock in the middle is solid, the hairline has been like this for about 4 years now, I don't think the hairline will retreat any further so do u think filling in the corners will work?

Thanks for your reply

I went to Bosley's and decided against a Ht because the doctor was not present. is this the norm? Is always the salesperson first who assesses the hair condition, gives a quote on amount of grafts, and cost? What about hair shock - where you loose more hair at the initial HT procedure? is this true? Richert

Whats going on here fellas? No one has asked if the OP is on Propecia?

That is the first step. If you re not on it then research it and give it a shot. As MattJ said you mentioned that no one in your family has MPB but you do in fact suffer from MPB as a classic NW3. Yes, the forelock should be considered and shaving would show the true issues if they exist.

Based on your photos and if you are deemed a good candidate across the check list then I think 2000 would be more in order. This is because the existing hair in and around your recession still appears to be quite dense and with your coarse hair shafts you need to have a more dense placement else the transplanted hair may look too thin compared to your native hair. A balance is required however to establish proper density without using too much hair that may be needed for future loss. That may require altering your drawn in design a bit for slightly higher temples. The smaller the area worked in the better density you can get and not at the expense of using too many grafts.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Whats going on here fellas? No one has asked if the OP is on Propecia?

That is the first step. If you re not on it then research it and give it a shot. As MattJ said you mentioned that no one in your family has MPB but you do in fact suffer from MPB as a classic NW3. Yes, the forelock should be considered and shaving would show the true issues if they exist.

Based on your photos and if you are deemed a good candidate across the check list then I think 2000 would be more in order. This is because the existing hair in and around your recession still appears to be quite dense and with your coarse hair shafts you need to have a more dense placement else the transplanted hair may look too thin compared to your native hair. A balance is required however to establish proper density without using too much hair that may be needed for future loss. That may require altering your drawn in design a bit for slightly higher temples. The smaller the area worked in the better density you can get and not at the expense of using too many grafts.

Thanks for your reply,

Im not taking any med's, and at this stage don't know if it would be worth it, nothing has changed in around 3-4 years, im thinking if i could get the corners of my hairline packed well, it would give a more natural, fuller look all over.

At your age it would be prudent to start Minoxidil and Propecia due to the probability that you will continue to lose hair as you age. You should consult with a coalition surgeon about using these medications and their diagnosis about what your future holds. If you were to have a procedure you may still lose the native hair behind what was transplanted and you would continue to "chase your tail", which can result in several touch ups in your future. If you were to use this medication you could save yourself additional procedures and money in the long run. Using the medication is clearly optional, but it is certainly the prudent route and better to see that you are stabilized before going through a transplantation.

As for the question earlier about consulting with Bosley. You should always meet with your surgeon during a consultation, this is something that is very common with Bosley that you only meet with a consultant and not with the person working on you. You should consider visiting with a coalition surgeon and actually meet with the surgeon and ask any and all questions that you may have about the procedure.

I am a consultant for Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin all opinions are my own. Visit our site at www.TrueDorin.com

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If you've seen no change in 4 years then that's a good thing, but you can't count on it not getting any worse. I hate to say it but it most likely will, especially without medication.

Personally I don't give out graft estimates, but I was thinking of a number more in line with what Jotronic said, if you want good density through the area you want to fill in.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

If he has thick hair around the temples and fills it in, how dense would you or even could you pack them?

Is it not true that the survival rate really goes down when you pack too many in there? Most of the docs I have talked to are between 40 to 50 grafts per cm2....so is it going to make a big difference if his hair is thick around his recession?

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

40-50 grafts per square centimeter is considered dense packing. True this will not be as thick as native hair that has not thinned yet but asthetically it will look natural and thick to the point where it looks like he's just beginning to thin. He could do additional treatments to the same area to add extra density. Going higher than that amount can cause issues due to lack of blood flow for the rest of the grafts or the ability to properly angle the grafts. It is possible to get higher density but there won't be much room for the surgeon to place them and would most likely have to be place straight up and look unnatural. So to answer your questions 40-50 grafts per square centimeter is a good amount for the hairline, and temple regions.

I am a consultant with Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin. These opinions are my own. www.TrueDorin.com

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians