Dr. Paul Shapiro-2000 FUE Session-0-8 Months

FUE Surgery with Dr. Paul Shapiro July 22, 2009

Graft/Hair Breakdown: 2000 Grafts / 3443 Hairs

1's ??“ 748

2's ??“ 1078

3's ??“ 157

4's ??“ 17

This patient came in for a follow up visit. We took updated photos with his hair styled normal and with hair dampened.

596100716_E018DDDB40BABF967BC05B16269C0F82.JPG

686100716_5AD4AE7B68043A7EB33E8DE783AA6940.JPG

786100716_CD9F27E153EC5B17B7DE82CDDE4C3586.JPG

886100716_92782A84F2CB1A75E73369816980713F.JPG

986100716_701341224A25979FA93874895C05D6E9.JPG

196100716_72E6B9E2223C4F04F94832AF26D46548.JPG

296100716_E98B375BDCFC2BF8E061733577824B7C.JPG

396100716_2B97CE6E4DD30BE3C2991AA9837E2B20.JPG

486100716_5C586525D8A0D2DCE16C386973CC593C.JPG

496100716_0AD9E4AFA5F287A9F3DA4EE242109E90.JPG

586100716_B4A4093C1E0A16245F6A4FC36DB7A73A.JPG

Great natural result at only 8 months! One question Janna, do you believe that a 2000 graft HT, but via FUT would have heralded any different result!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Hi Raphael,

That's a very good question....

At this point, I would say we get more "wow" results with our strip than with FUE. There are number of reasons why this might be. Perhaps one reason might be due to FUE extracted grafts do not have the protective tissue around the follicle and therefore it causes grafts to grow slower. Another factor may be that when the haircounts are tallied, total hairs for our strip cases tend to be larger. We are taking necessary measures to counter the risks involved with FUE. Although, the nature of this type of surgery is that any changes you implement are not known for about a year.

Janna,

This looks like an excellent results with FUE. However, like TC17, I too was wondering about the extractions taken outside of the universal safe zone. This particular practice is one of the reasons why we held off on recommending Dr. Keser of Turkey. As one of the world's leading hair restoration physicians, I'd love to hear Dr. Paul's or Dr. Ron's thoughts on this subject.

Best wishes,

Bill

Orangehair,

The patient opted for FUE because he did not want a linear scar. Thanks for your comment. Hope you're doing well.

I've spoken to both our doctors on what they may consider too high for extractions. Each patient's donor area is measured as they are prepped for surgery and in most cases we stay within the traditional "safe" zone for strip surgeries. However, there are occassions when grafts can be extracted just above it to get the number of grafts needed. These hairs may not be lost until patients are in their 50's, 60's or ever. The chances of patients retaining these hairs are higher if they meet certain criterias, such as: 1) No signs of miniaturized hairs in the crown area, 2) Age, 3) Minimal hairloss in family history.

When the criterias are met, the reasoning is that if the MINIMAL number of hairs from above safe zone do fall out in the future, these hairs are placed in an area that will end up with a natural look of hair loss progression. In the meantime, the donor area has an overall even density.

Great result. That guy should be super stoked, I know I would be. To me, Dr. Paul Shapiro rocked a home run with this FUE HT.

This case is very close to my MPB and I would have chose the same plan of action for me. I would have to agree... for me, SMG/Dr. Paul/Janna played it right given the factors in regards to using both the safe and shall we say sometimes less safe zone on some people areas to achieve the results the client wanted.... even though he may or may not lose it later. I will very much use this example in getting my own FUE HT given I have the same factors, others might be advised not to use this plan of action with different factors involved.

Janna,

Can you email me with days and cost involved. Thanks.

Janna,

Thanks for your input.

Khan,

My opinion remains the same. I think as long as you can provide evidence that donor extractions outside the universal safe zone are the exception rather than the norm, and can continue to present impressive examples of your FUE results, we can reconsider Dr. Keser for potential recommendation in time.

All the Best,

Bill

I have two other questions for you about this result, Janna.

1. How old was this patient at the time of surgery?

2. His pre op pictures when his hair is grown out appears as though he is maybe a NW 3, but when buzzed down, he appears to have thinning in a NW 5 pattern. It's also looks that way to me in his one month photos. Is he a NW 5? If not, why does his hair appear so much thinner compared to the sides when buzzed down?

Thanks in advance!

The patients was 32 at time of surgery and he's still 32.

He's currently not a NW5 and no one know if he will be. He is on ht meds to combat future loss. When hair is buzzed, it tends to make a lot of people look thinner than they are. If you look at some of the wet pics, you can see some slightly thinning on top too, not just when his hair is buzzed.

This patient is well educated and has realistic expectations and goals.

Our price for FUE is $6 per graft with $500 discount for travel.

Originally posted by nsuede:

Janna,

Can you email me with days and cost involved. Thanks.

You can email me janna@shapiromedical.com to get info you need. Thanks for your interest in SMG.

Good stuff as always from SMG.

Janna do you happen to know the area covered and density that was implanted? Also any reason this patient shaved down for surgery (I was under the impression that you only shaved down for larger secessions) unless the patient was indifferfent,as I realize it makes is easier on all of you if they do. Also how many days did it take to complete the surgery and what has been the typical secession sizes for someone who is looking to get around 2K via FUE (can it be completed in 2 days?)

Thanks