H&W HD Video Fridays/Dr. Hasson/5059 Grafts/Two Years

This patient came to see Dr. Hasson with the hopes of achieving not only coverage but also density. 5059 Grafts were moved in one session and both goals were accomplished with of course the highest density achieved in the front and lighter density in the crown. The patient returned for a smaller second session to strengthen the crown. The patient's hair has a slightly coarse texture with a wave. The patient has been on Proscar since before his procedure.

Hair Transplant Videos hair transplant Video Page 1 - Hasson & Wong

Here are the photos for this patient. Please note that this forum resizes the larger after pictures so don't forget to click on the yellow bar above each photo. You will see the image on it's own but you may have the option to click on the photo again to see it in full size. This is the only way to see the high resolution detail that this and our other results deserve.

hwms5059_001.JPG?1207397852

hwms5059_002.JPG?753360856

hwms5059_003.JPG?317995441

hwms5059_004.JPG?1598717193

hwms5059_005.JPG?1784275501

hwms5059_006.JPG?2014325375

hwms5059_007.JPG?158659375

hwms5059_008.JPG?2025746815

hwms5059_009.JPG?1093304239

hwms5059_010.JPG?1852159391

hwms5059_011.JPG?1365446016

hwms5059_012.JPG?1732948408

hwms5059_013.JPG?808721384

hwms5059_014.JPG?46264181

hwms5059_015.JPG?642629273

hwms5059_016.JPG?2074910339

hwms5059_017.JPG?499135536

hwms5059_018.JPG?364784422

hwms5059_019.JPG?893292750

hwms5059_020.JPG?410190018

hwms5059_021.JPG?1014166898

hwms5059_022.JPG?276092143

hwms5059_023.JPG?870920557

hwms5059_024.JPG?335181316

hwms5059_025.JPG?1917981901

Edited by Jotronic

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I find the hairline a little pluggy , the ROOT EFFECT is quite noticible , dont get me wrong the numbers are crazy better than any other strip clinic .

Is it possible to soften the hairline using thinner hairs ? Im sure in person the ROOT EFFECT will be even more noticible.

I would like to find out if this patient is

1- satisfied

2- if he is a little self conscious about his hairline.

Maybe i should have used another word than PLUGGY , Ive actually heard unfamilair people use the word PLUGS to describe a hair transplant and i find it a bit dated.

After spending years looking for perfect transplanted hairlines it could be that my expectations are too high.

The placement is fantastic ,its the quality of hairs that i dont like.

Those frontal hairs IN MY OPINION should have to be very thin ,followed by a slightly thicker set of hairs in order to make the hairline look as natural as possible . If the hairline is created by using 1 size hair ( in diameter) it will never fool the eye, no matter how it is placed. The eyes will look directly at the root of the hair and detect a hairtransplant or something out of he ordinary . I think i would be a little paranoid if my own hairline couldnt fool me .I would comb it in a way as to cover it up.

I examine photos very carefully because i know in person the transplant will never look as good as the photo and because clinics use all sorts of techniques to make it look good...flash..angles etc.

With that being said said i hate to say anything bad about H&W ( they rock) I hope they can recognize my assesment.

Ive been waiting for H&W to improve their hairlines for years.

I agree with pompado to a little extent. it would be interesting to see this result in person...the hair line does give kind of a field effect and i would also be interested in understanding if this patient is satisifed with the result...please remember pompado. ht's create an illusion of hair and the result will never be natural especially if you loose some more native hair..it is for this reason, i strongly believe that a shorter haircut will be more pleasing looking as compared to a longer haircut but the scar becomes an issue in that case...can we have some scar pictures for this patient?

Guys, I appreciate your comments. While Joe wrote in his post that I came back for a 2nd session for work in the crown, I also had more grafts placed into the hairline and mid scalp as you can see from the pics below. While I was happy with the results from the first procedure, I just wanted more hair.

Pompodo, your a straight shooter and I like it;) You raise a valid concern especially when it comes to strip surgery. Unlike FUE the doc can't cherry pick fine soft nape hairs for the hairline and must use thicker grafts from the strip. This inevitably leaves the hairline looking somewhat 'unatural', although I don't think 'pluggy' is the right word. However if done by a good surgeon it can still look close to 'natural'. I knew this before going into it as I had been researching for over 2 years and made sure to meet a Hasson and Wong patient in person before I pulled the trigger. If your expecations are too high, then having a strip HT is not for you. I needed big numbers with 1 hit and financially it made sense to go with strip.

Having said that I have noticed in certain lighting, especially under those terrible eco lights, the ones now often used in stores, (who's the moron who invented those things) my hair looks thin and I've noticed people looking at my hairline. I know this is not paranoia, it's a fact. The shadows that those things make seem to make the 'rooting effect' in the hairline look worse. But hey, I hate shopping anyway and would prefer to be outside doing something.

Anyhows, I felt another pass to thicken things up a bit might help. As I also have retrograde alopecia, where my hair thins backward on the sides and up from the bottom I asked the good doc to go conservative on the strip, with minimal tension and thus hopefully giving me a pencil thin scar. This is something that defintiely concerns me and I hope it doesn't progress in the futurer to the point where my scar becomes visible. To counter this Dr. Hasson has taken the strip form the sweet spot, where my hair is thickest and has the least chance of thinning. Fingers crossed with proscar it'll hold out.

This time round I was hoping for more density in the hairline, particualry the right side, temples and temple points, and more in the crown and mid scalp. 2381 grafts isn't a huge number but given my coverage from HT #1 it seemed like it should be enough to satisfy even my critical eyes.

So Pompodo, have I become a little paranoid over the last 2 years? Sure a bit, but usually I don't mind as most people don't seem to notice anything. I've had a few girlfriends since the procedure who've washed my hair, ran their fingers through it countless times and never suspected a thing. I guess some people are just more savvy at picking HT's out.

I think ideally I'd like to finish it off with about 500 FUE into the hairline to try and soften it up a bit, but first I'm gonna see how good it looks after the new grafts come in. The problem for me using nape hairs though is that as I suffer from retrograde alopecia they may just fall out in the near future anyway.

You know it's interesting how people take sides on the FUE/ Strip arguments. For me I think a combination of both would give me the best possible result. Anyway, please feel free to fire away with any questions or comments you may have.

Oh and it actually looks much better in person than those photo's I think. Or at least it did, now look at me, aaaahhhh!

Stats:

HT #1 Dr. Hasson July 21st 2008, 5059 grafts

HT#2 Dr. Hasson, July 21st 2010, 2381 grafts

Total Grafts - 7440

2ndHT011.jpg

2ndHT013.jpg

2ndHT014.jpg

2ndHT015.jpg

Edited by markinjapan

Thanks for responding Mark.

Your strategy of combining the two techniques sounds very logical to me ,I've considered doing the exact same thing and my choice for strip would obviously be H&W

I also read the boards about FUE v.s Strip arguments. While i agree both have their strongpoints, i tend to side more with FUE because i had a strip done 12 years ago and do not like the scar ..actually its not the scar i hate but the fact that i cannot shave my head , i have discovered that as i get older i look better with my hair short , it also makes me look younger.

Because i already have a scar , i would be a good candidate for a mega session which would also be a scar revision.

I would recommend to a newbie before getting a Transplant , to go to a trendy hair salon and get a nice buzz cut ,this might change their mind .

I understand that at Walmart or at a mall your transplant would be more detectable that indoors ...but what about at a club ?or bar? have you had any strange looks ?

What about at weddings ?

If you comb your hair in a way as to hide the hairline (brush it forward) is it less detectable?

I like the way you brush your hair forward ,its very natural . Ive noticed many H&W patients use this hairstyle ,was this discussed with them in advance?

Keep us posted on your results , i'll bet they will be super.

Edited by TakingThePlunge

Mark, I wouldn't feel self conscious...the hairline looks great! The only way someone would possibly notice what was referred to as the "root effect" would be under very harsh lights and extremely close-up. And even then most people wouldn't realize it was from a HT. The general public has no idea how advanced HT surgery has become. Good growing on HT #2.

Edited by hairthere
spelling

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 4 weeks later...